First car

Shemo

Hi everyone

Ive got about 10-12k to spend on a first car. I decided against buying an old cheap car due to possible mechanical problems etc etc... and i decided against oldish sports cars like the FTOs and Preludes because i was getting 5k insurance quotes with AAMI (lol).

I've narrowed it down to these cars and i would greatly appreciate any feedback from owners or people that might have driven them before. Reviews and roadtests can only tell you so much...

1. Toyota Yaris YR 1.3 Auto (2006)

2. Honda Jazz (2003 ish)

3. Renault Clio (2003)

4. Holden Astra (2000 ish)

5. Honda Civic (2000 ish)

Any more suggestions welcome!

I would really like a Suzuki Swift or a Mazda 3 but its just out of my price range.

Currently im set on the Toyota Yaris Yr Auto hatchback and they're selling for about 12k 2nd hand from private sellers. Ill be using it mostly to get to University etc, no real need for long stints on the highways.

Is that the best option? Biggest worry is the 1.3L engine. Is there ANY oomph? Currently driving my dad's SV6 so ill be deluding myself if i was to say that i dont really mind there being no power...

Thanks in advance!

hey mate...welcome to the forums...i was in a similar position not soo long ago...i actually wanted a v6 camry...ended up getting a ford bf XR6...it all comes down to what you can pick up...dont rule out the mazda 3 or suzuki swift, its possible you can pick up one them for around 12k..just depends on how patient you are...out of the 7 cars you have mentioned, i would get the mazda 3, followed by the swift and then the Yaris...the Jazz and Astra a both good runabouts...also heard good reviews about the civics..havnt really heard much of the renault clio, but being european maintanence will be quite expensive so will the parts...in terms of reliability goes, i say the mazda 3, honda jazz, civic have all got good reputation for reliability...and yes your right about the 1.3L, its very gutless especially if your used to the Aurion SV6...good luck

Definately the Yaris mate...

It's newer than all rest, might even pick one up thats still got factory warranty...

Other than that, nothing ever goes wrong with them, nice little zippy hatch, easy to park, less fuel costs with the 1.3L engine, etc, etc, etc...

Welcome

Go the yaris.

Well we are a toyota forum :D :lol::lol::lol:

Newer than the others and you can find them with low kms.

I have driven both the yaris and the jazz they are both great cars but the yaris is that much better. apart from being toytoa reliable. i felt the overall build was better and a bit more roomier then the Jazz also servicing was much better price wise

I have also given the mazda two a test drive and the astra both below par in quality build and did not feel as zippy as the yaris.

Before i bought my corolla and after test driving all sorts of cars including the barina. The choice came down to the yaris andthe corolla. The corolla won because i needed more space. and needed a bigger car at the time t

the yaris will not be like your v6 but will be easy to park, light on petrol. and you wll love all the mods you will be able to do to it. There are a few yaris here on the forum.

Get a yaris....

DON'T get the 1.3 auto... they are very, very slow... if you *need* and auto, get the 1.5L NCP91 (YRS or YRX), if you must get the 1.3, at least get it in manual.

The 1.5 with a manual is quite a zippy little car, I was pleasantly surprised when I got one.

yes, you'll be surprised how zippy a yaris is. I was certainly surprised when I drove my friend's yaris for the first time.

And other points other people have made above, about cost, reliability, maintenance cost etc...

end of the day, it's your money and your choice. ;)

Thanks for the feedback

Think ill have to settle for the 1.3L Yaris Yr Auto. The YRS costs around 2k more and i dont think ill be able to talk another 2k out of my parents for a "faster" car... And knowing toyotas, YRS prices arent going to drop any time soon. Fingers crossed that they will though.

Havnt been able to come across a Mazda 3 or a Swift for under 12k. 10k was my absolute limit before but i coaxed another 2k by saying the Yaris has a 5 star safety rating (but only with the optional safety pack with the extra airbags).

Thanks for all the advice. Might have to end up learning to drive manual after all for some affordable performance.

seriously, if you cant get the YRS (i picked mine up for 11k, so deals are out there) learn to drive a manual... its really easy, and you will be so much happier with a car that isn't a complete slug.

Wow thanks for doing all that research for me 1rocky and Jeremy. There was a grey one going for 11.9k and the guy said he'll throw in a set of alloys if i buy it for that price. Ill hit him up tomorow about it.

11k for a YRS? Its a manual right? The cheapest auto YRS ive seen was going for 13.5k but it was a sedan and Yaris sedans just dont look proportioned properly.

Call me lazy, call me spiritless or whatever but i just cant see myself driving a manual. Not being disrespectful to manual drivers or anything but i just prefer the ease of autos. Watching my friends struggle with hillstarts and stalling frequently kind of does add to my reluctance.

Also when you say "dont forget to bargain" how much can i realistically knock off the price? I see lots of Yaris Yr 3 doors with around 50k on the odo being sold for 12.5k ish. They all say price is negotiable... how much should i push for without looking like a complete idiot?

Thanks.

Autos are great i have an auto corolla. :toast::toast:

Go for around Five to six hundred dollars below cost and work from there.

That sounds a good price for the yaris but tell him you want to choose what alloys go on the car within the price range he has given you. Has it logbooks /been serviced regularly. How many kms are on it/?

I also drive a small non toyota 1.3 litre car and it is auto. I find them quite good. and use it to travel on country roads and around town.

You can tell the difference when i drive my corolla. but then i have changed aalot of the parts in the rolla. :yahoo::yahoo:

good luck in your search :yahoo:

11k for a YRS? Its a manual right? The cheapest auto YRS ive seen was going for 13.5k but it was a sedan and Yaris sedans just dont look proportioned properly.

Thanks.

Yep, NCP91R (YRS) 5spd Manual.

Call me lazy, call me spiritless or whatever but i just cant see myself driving a manual. Not being disrespectful to manual drivers or anything but i just prefer the ease of autos. Watching my friends struggle with hillstarts and stalling frequently kind of does add to my reluctance.

Also when you say "dont forget to bargain" how much can i realistically knock off the price? I see lots of Yaris Yr 3 doors with around 50k on the odo being sold for 12.5k ish. They all say price is negotiable... how much should i push for without looking like a complete idiot?

Thanks.

Haha, tell your friends to practice more!! Haha :whistling:

It really depends on a lot of things... say rego on that car is going to run out soon, you can bargain it down probably $600, a few scratches here and there, inside/outside condition (paint condition, dirty interior with poor condition), or heaps of km's on it for it's age (more than 20,000km a year), no roadworthy (not in this case), probably 600 to 2k?? you can bargain down.

yaris gave me 6l per 100 with redline at all possible moments for a year and still worked great after that so i wouldn't go past one.

even though the plastic is fairly crappy on the interior its better than toyotas of the mid 90's

Pretty much when you go and look at a car try and find scratches, dents, interior faults and stuff... If the tyres are worn, pick up on that aswell...

If the car is in really good condition and nothing is really wrong always try and knock off $1000 straight up and go from there...

But obviously if the car needs tyres, paintwork repairs, etc, try and add up what it's gunna cost to fix it all and then drop the price down accordingly...

I knocked 3k off an 05 Stivo straight away cause the front bar needed painting an the tyres were worn... Guy said no worries and picked it up the next day...

Just gotta offer a price and see what happens from there :) ...

Yaris mate!

i got a fren with a yaris, i mean rolla is better. but if u driving in the city, yaris is better. specialy if u are going to handling way. putting all the bars etc.

with yaris u can go through round abouts etc easily as u will fit in the middle ( size is smaller) with corolla, u have to fit it in the middle which is quite a challenge sometime!

+1 yaris have more fuel economy :)

My friend bought a brand spankin' new Yaris a few weeks ago and she loves it (she's coming from a Celica ZR lol). So they are excellent little cars. In terms of knocking prices off, I'd go as low as 2k off. Do what dwee. and the others said - look for any faults such as scratches, etc. to bring down the price. I bought a Corolla Levin for my mum last year and knocked off $3600 from the advertised price. Don't be afraid to haggle and don't get too excited when you inspect the car lol. Good luck!! :D

Edited by nchanted1

Don't be afraid to haggle and don't get too excited when you inspect the car lol. Good luck!! :D

Yes, don't be afraid to haggle, but obviously don't go extreme haha. Don't be so excited that you might overlook things and rush into the buy.

Also, maybe tag someone along that actually knows about cars, how to check the condition of the car, engine, interior and the car has been involved in a crash. It might save you later in terms of cost and hassle.

Let us know what happens or if you have any questions =)

Have you taken into account the fees for the changeover of registration as well as the REVS check and maybe even for a mechanic to come have a look at it. You probably wont need a mechanic for such a new car though you cant get past the registration fee and you definitely shouldnt look past the REVS check.

• 2 weeks later...