what oil?

ATX

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant find GTO oil in Mel so I use Castrol Edge sport 5W-30 instead. I haven't compared Castrol to any other brand but it performances pretty well so far,

Donaldson Motors $150 FOR 20L or Burson Automotive.

• 2 weeks later...

Next oil change I will be running Fuchs GT1 PRO C3... provided it doesn't break the bank. Will have to order that one.

To be honest though, I'm only changing because I want to put a fully synthetic in it. No reason in particular... just what I feel like doing. To be serious, the Titan Super GTO does the trick and hasn't let me down.

Now I know I said next oil change I will use the Fuchs GT1 PRO C3 and this oil change would be the final oil type that will be used for the rest of the life of this car with me.

Well... didn't that plan change. Today I wanted to do my oil change and instead of going down to order some of that Fuchs, I decided to change my plans. I am now using Penrite SIN 0. I hope I made the right choice. I was tossing up between this or Mobil 1, but in the end this was my final decision. I'm still a little concerned with it at the moment as per my following quoted post, but I guess I will see how it goes:

... this is what else I picked up:

di-2128841882815.jpg

Now while and after buying the oil, I got this really odd feeling. Not the feeling like I spent way more money than I should have (my poor bank account), but the clearly obvious 'issue' that can be seen from the packaging of the oil. Those that know the Aurion know that they recommend a 10W-30 oil. Now I'm not expert in oil, but a 0W-50 oil doesn't really seem like something I would normally consider putting in my car where it recommends a 10W30. Penrite are a little funny though from the looks of it. It would seem that this oil is actually a 0W-40 because of that 'Extra ten' thing, but it still has me a little conscious.

It does say on it's packaging that it is suitable for use where a 10W30 oil is recommended, and this is the oil that they have under their recommended oils list on their site for this car. I'm guessing though that I'm probably not the first because they had a Penrite document attached to the shelf where the oils are explaining the oil weights etc with respect to protection. I'm still a little conscious of this not being a good oil, but regardless, I still got it. So I guess I will soon find out.

Next oil change I will be running Fuchs GT1 PRO C3... provided it doesn't break the bank. Will have to order that one.

To be honest though, I'm only changing because I want to put a fully synthetic in it. No reason in particular... just what I feel like doing. To be serious, the Titan Super GTO does the trick and hasn't let me down.

Now I know I said next oil change I will use the Fuchs GT1 PRO C3 and this oil change would be the final oil type that will be used for the rest of the life of this car with me.

Well... didn't that plan change. Today I wanted to do my oil change and instead of going down to order some of that Fuchs, I decided to change my plans. I am now using Penrite SIN 0. I hope I made the right choice. I was tossing up between this or Mobil 1, but in the end this was my final decision. I'm still a little concerned with it at the moment as per my following quoted post, but I guess I will see how it goes:

... this is what else I picked up:

di-2128841882815.jpg

Now while and after buying the oil, I got this really odd feeling. Not the feeling like I spent way more money than I should have (my poor bank account), but the clearly obvious 'issue' that can be seen from the packaging of the oil. Those that know the Aurion know that they recommend a 10W-30 oil. Now I'm not expert in oil, but a 0W-50 oil doesn't really seem like something I would normally consider putting in my car where it recommends a 10W30. Penrite are a little funny though from the looks of it. It would seem that this oil is actually a 0W-40 because of that 'Extra ten' thing, but it still has me a little conscious.

It does say on it's packaging that it is suitable for use where a 10W30 oil is recommended, and this is the oil that they have under their recommended oils list on their site for this car. I'm guessing though that I'm probably not the first because they had a Penrite document attached to the shelf where the oils are explaining the oil weights etc with respect to protection. I'm still a little conscious of this not being a good oil, but regardless, I still got it. So I guess I will soon find out.

Woohoo, welcome to Penrite mate. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy that we are both using Penrite in our Aurions :lol:

I was going to go for the sin but that would have broken the bank, also, my next scheduled oil change is April next year so not long left until I need to drain the oil again so no point in buying expensive oil only to drain it again few months later.

Please keep us updated how the Aurion drives with Penrite Sin. :)

Woohoo, welcome to Penrite mate. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy that we are both using Penrite in our Aurions :lol:

I was going to go for the sin but that would have broken the bank, also, my next scheduled oil change is April next year so not long left until I need to drain the oil again so no point in buying expensive oil only to drain it again few months later.

Please keep us updated how the Aurion drives with Penrite Sin. :)

April next year... not long left... man, my oil was last changed at the end of August.

I was about to buy the HPR5 because everyone was taking about it, but stopped when I read on the package that it was a semi-synthetic.

I'm not expecting it to feel any different to how it was before I changed the oil. Realistically I doubt there would be any difference anyway.

The Viking regards Penrite SIN and Mobil 1 highly Daryl.

I think either choice is a good one. :toast:

I was hoping so, because once upon a time he did say this:

It is a lot better on the Penrite oil compared what the dealership supplied. Going to try Penrite Sin this service which is next week.

I figured if he considered using it, then it has to pass his standards. Bugger I didn't think about all this on Thursday night when I could have asked.

The Viking regards Penrite SIN and Mobil 1 highly Daryl.

I think either choice is a good one. :toast:

I was hoping so, because once upon a time he did say this:

It is a lot better on the Penrite oil compared what the dealership supplied. Going to try Penrite Sin this service which is next week.

I figured if he considered using it, then it has to pass his standards. Bugger I didn't think about all this on Thursday night when I could have asked.

Now that I think on it... in the semi-syn range he's satisfied with the Penrite HPR range as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I was using Fuch's until Supercheap stopped stocking it . I grabbed some Shell Helix HX7 and have to say I'm not impressed . I changed it the other day after 60000km and was very surprised to see just how black it had become . I reckon this helix would look like bitumen after 15000km . I'll be having a good look for fuch's for my next oil change as that used to come out looking a lot lot better .

Edited by phantompisser

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering if you could provide some feedback on the SIN 0.

Hey mate. Pretty much as per my expectations, this oil has not provided any personally measurable difference. I made the mistake of not getting a used oil analysis on my previous oil so getting one with this oil probably won't give any indication of how well it's protecting the engine.

The engine seems like it revs just like it did before, it doesn't feel like it has lost/gained any so called 'performance' and fuel consumption would appear to be about the same according to my own personal calculations. I haven't quite reached the 10,000km mark though since I put the oil in so I can't really say if it has delayed the onset of that VVT-i controller knocking, but I guess I will soon find out.

So that's about all really.

Thanks for that. Funny now when you mentioned it I did notice that on many ocassions there is like clamp/click noise comming from the engine on startup. It doesnt do it all the time but time to time. It might be VVT-i controller knocking. I had filter and oil changed only weeks ago. The car is under factory extended warranty. I migt take it to the dealer to get it fixed. Ill record it and post it tomorrow.

Wow..... sounds like a lot of money spent for negligible benefit.........?

Just because you can't measure your gains, it does not mean there is negligible benefit from using the SIN oil.

What would be good would be a used oil analysis.

edit: Poor grammar. What do you expect? I am asian. :lol:

Edited by Andrew357

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have any experience with Valvoline Engine Armour 10W-30 or Nulon 10W-30 Hi-Tech Fast Flowing oil?

Would Mobil 1 5W-50 be too thick for the Aurion?

hello hamster yes i have been useing the nulon 10w-30 Fast Flowing oil in my 07 sx6 and i am very happy, i have done 7500k with the nulon and the oil seems to be holding up quite well i will continue to use nulon

Guys,

Some inside info from somebody in the industry.

All passenger vehicle synthetic motor oil from 10W/40 up is PAO synthetic. Anything below is Group III base oil.

Don't be fooled by different brands as the raw material in these oils are purchased from only a few suppliers in Australia and therefore offer the same level of performance.

Price and consumer preference is what it's all about and how well they market their product.

I'm fortunate not to have to purchase my motor oil, but if I had to I'd purchase any of the products mentioned here.

Regards, Toddy ;)

Toddy,

you might want to read up more about motor oil from BITOG, not all Syn 10w40 are PAO base.

Does anyone have any experience with Valvoline Engine Armour 10W-30 or Nulon 10W-30 Hi-Tech Fast Flowing oil?

Valvoline engine armour and Nulon are most likely group I and II base engine oil, would be very average but i would go 1 step up and use Royal Purple or Amsoil 5w30 which is group IV base instead.

Mobil 5w50 would be definably too thick, that is 2 viscosity thicker than what is recommended.

Edited by trex101

Valvoline engine armour and Nulon are most likely group I and II base engine oil, would be very average but i would go 1 step up and use Royal Purple or Amsoil 5w30 which is group IV base instead.

Mobil 5w50 would be definably too thick, that is 2 viscosity thicker than what is recommended.

I'm going to use a group 3 oil as using group 4 will cost $100+ per bottle and i will gain no benefit from using it compared to group 3.

• 7 months later...

Sorry to drag up an old thread but couldn't quite find the answer when searching

I decided to pick up the oil for the service this weekend in the Aurion, and basically choked on the prices of the synthetics (damn 6L sump!)

To make a long story short, I bought 2 bottles of the Castrol GTX 10W-30, which I believe is just a basic mineral oil. Is the fact it isn't a synthetic (or semi-synthetic) going to be a problem?

I'm planning on this oil lasting me 10k instead of the usual 15k.

You will be fine Steve. So long as you make sure to keep up with the regular changes (10,000km is a good number for you), then there should be no issues.

actually, im in need of a change oil as well,

ive done 230xxx on an 03 4cyl camry, anyone reccommend one ?

i went to super cheap and they couldnt really reccomend me one appearantly due to having high kms .. :blink: and then the dude handed me a 5w 30 of castrol.. is that okay ?