what oil?

ATX

Steven, I have used Castrol mineral oil in my old car, had the car for 12 years and changed the oil religiously every 10,000k. Was using GTX 3 for years, which is discontinued now I believe, it was 15w40 which was fine for my last car. Traded the car recently, it had 290,000k on it and was still going strong. Speaking of service intervals, not sure about the 7,500k oil & filter changes for the Aurion, according to the book, seems excessive. Does everyone stick to this?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... not sure about the 7,500k oil & filter changes for the Aurion, according to the book, seems excessive. Does everyone stick to this?

If you drive your car continuously for short trips (like a few km or so each day) or don't travel much in the year, I'd recommend following the 7,500km service interval. Under normal conditions though, it may be considered a little excessive, depending on how you think.

Oil change intervals pend on the nature of the car/engine and the conditions it is driven in. Ive always changed my oil at 5k intervals but used to do alot of driving out on dirt roads and around the hills under resonable load. It's a personal preference and thats something needed to be applied here as everyone is different.

Oil wise ive always used and will always use Penrite, it's not to expensive for what i buy and it does a great job. Cars with higher km's will usually benefit from a slightly heavier oil and i would suggest speaking to mechanic who deals with these issues on a regular basis. The guys at auto stores can be usefull but are really only product trained unless you find someone like you or I.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the input. Most of my driving is to and from work, about 35 minutes along the freeway in the early morning, not much traffic. I get about 600km between refills. It was serviced not long before I bought it. It's due for its 52,500km service now. I might stay with 10,000km service intervals for the moment and just keep an eye on the oil. It was an ex-government car and all the servicing was done by Toyota, I'm considering doing an oil flush for the first time ever as a mate had a Kluger serviced only by Toyota which ended up with sludge and an expensive fix. Toyota was in denial. That's only one bad experience though, I'm probably just being paranoid.

actually, im in need of a change oil as well,

ive done 230xxx on an 03 4cyl camry, anyone reccommend one ?

i went to super cheap and they couldnt really reccomend me one appearantly due to having high kms .. :blink: and then the dude handed me a 5w 30 of castrol.. is that okay ?

A good semi synthetic/full synthetic will do (Mobil 2000/Mobil1) be my choice. He has given you the manufacturer specced oil (5-30) but which Castrol did he give?

actually, im in need of a change oil as well,

ive done 230xxx on an 03 4cyl camry, anyone reccommend one ?

i went to super cheap and they couldnt really reccomend me one appearantly due to having high kms .. :blink: and then the dude handed me a 5w 30 of castrol.. is that okay ?

A good semi synthetic/full synthetic will do (Mobil 2000/Mobil1) be my choice. He has given you the manufacturer specced oil (5-30) but which Castrol did he give?

i got the "magnatec fuel saver" castrol

Hi, everyone a little confused on everyone going this n that as cost is one thing a bit of n issue but don't want to go the wrong type and after reading a bit about everyone would HPR5 penrite or HRP10 as theres only 2dollars difference was considering hpr5 5-40 semi syn 40dollars 5lt there was the magnatec fuel saver but its 50 a pop, so just trying to consider which way to go. There is also a nulon hi tech flowing 10-w40 6lt for $60 I have no idea about that brand in oils n never used it. So any ideas what way to go happy to pay around $50 for 5lt bottle roughly my aurions done almost 100k now and as its coming into summer here we are getting 15-20degree nights and soon to hit some days around 40degrees. I've read up a reasonable amount n just keep getting mixed messages what way to go any ideas? Thanks Phil.

Has anybody used the new Castrol Edge Sport Titanium? My bus is due for a service this week and I’ve always used Valvoline SYNpower but i thought i might go with a change this time and thought about the new Titanium, apparently it "handles heat" far better than the old edge sport. I’ll either get that or some jump on the Penrite band wagon.

• 9 months later...