DAve's Aurion AT-X

-DAvo

Hey everyone,

just got the ball rolling on phase one of my sound system, the headunit. Will have a clarion max386vd headunit installed once the facia kit arrives.

:yahoo:

anyone have any experience with this headunit?

will post pictures as it progresses :)

Edited by -DAvo

Its going to be soundstream speakers, 6.5inch splits up front and 6x9's out on the shelf, then at the same time, will be adding dyamat to the door pannel and rear shelf/boot wall. That will complete phase two, then phase three will just be the addition of a amplifier and a bit'ol bass in the boot ;)

Nice one... B)

are ya planning on keeping ya steering wheel controls with the new h/unit?

nah, im afraid their gonna be lost in the process... if i was going with the alpine unit (502) then i would still be able to use them, but went for the clarion (budget restraints :( )

So the Alpine unit allows you to keep controls? Im still shopping around for a head unit that will allow me to retain controls, I only know of the Eclipse AVN-6000 and the Auspac one

most eclipse units should work with standard toyota steering wheel controls....and, eclipse is the ****.

So the Alpine unit allows you to keep controls? Im still shopping around for a head unit that will allow me to retain controls, I only know of the Eclipse AVN-6000 and the Auspac one

Yep i've got the IVA-W502E unit and the wheel controls work...i thought this was possible with a lot of aftermarket units since its a seperate module SWI-JACK?

swi_jack_toyota.pdf

AUR1_01.pdf

Thanks to Mickeyboy for the diagrams...

Yeah, im looking for a single unit with integrated functionality, there's not really much point in me buying a cheapy head unit then another $300 for the PAC-SWI to be installed. Having a look around now.

Let me know how the speaker install goes Dave, I'm also looking at a pair of Soundstream or MTX speakers, just worried about the fit..

• 4 weeks later...

Have had the headunit installed for a while now.. its awsome! will be fitting HID's next week and then will complete the speaker upgrades along with dynamat in the doors and rear shelf.

have attached a few pictures... :)

post-13790-1247580903_thumb.jpg

post-13790-1247580932_thumb.jpg

post-13790-1247580952_thumb.jpg

post-13790-1247580973_thumb.jpg

post-13790-1247580992_thumb.jpg

thanks for the comment! I had it installed for me. I'm going to change speakers and amp and dynamat im next fortnight... currently waiting for my hid to be installed! can't wait!! =P

thanks for the comment! I had it installed for me. I'm going to change speakers and amp and dynamat im next fortnight... currently waiting for my hid to be installed! can't wait!! =P

Let us know how the speakers go, you going to do all 6? I'm eager to get an amplifier put in but that will have to wait a bit unfortunately. Very keen to hear your results though!

Also the HID installation, how much did you pay for that? I wanted to install HIDs on my car though unfortunately, I don't want any insurance repercussions in case i get in an accident because of the illegal nature of retrofits.

Let us know how the speakers go, you going to do all 6? I'm eager to get an amplifier put in but that will have to wait a bit unfortunately. Very keen to hear your results though!

Also the HID installation, how much did you pay for that? I wanted to install HIDs on my car though unfortunately, I don't want any insurance repercussions in case i get in an accident because of the illegal nature of retrofits.

Yeah the set up I will be running will be:

front: eclipse SC6900 6" x 9" 2 WAY DRIVER WITH 1" SILK TWEETER & Dynamat through the front door panel

rear: SP6910 6 x 9" 2- WAY POINT SOURCE SPEAKER & double dynamating on both the plastic and metal part of the rear shelf to minimize vibration buzz

still tossing up on if i want to go with a amp, will mean a extra few hundred bucks...

The HID kit was acctually a phillips 6000k HID kit.. supplied and fitted by Rob at Volatile Customs here in Perth. Rob is a top guy and the quality of his installations are awsome! Ive attached a few pics, its hard to get a clear shot of where he mounted the balasts, as his also covered them in some sort of padding? (perhaps heat shield?? ). I ended up going for thr 6000k as well as changing my parker lights, was originally wanting to go with the 5000k but im glad i went 6000, looks sweeet!!

post-13790-1248341483_thumb.jpg

post-13790-1248341500_thumb.jpg

post-13790-1248341518_thumb.jpg

post-13790-1248341532_thumb.jpg

post-13790-1248341547_thumb.jpg

post-13790-1248341561_thumb.jpg

post-13790-1248341578_thumb.jpg

still tossing up on if i want to go with a amp, will mean a extra few hundred bucks...

Yes u definitely should since you already changing the speakers... you will know the difference with the amp.. :)

front: eclipse SC6900 6" x 9" 2 WAY DRIVER WITH 1" SILK TWEETER & Dynamat through the front door panel

rear: SP6910 6 x 9" 2- WAY POINT SOURCE SPEAKER & double dynamating on both the plastic and metal part of the rear shelf to minimize vibration buzz

The HID kit was acctually a phillips 6000k HID kit.. supplied and fitted by Rob at Volatile Customs here in Perth. Rob is a top guy and the quality of his installations are awsome! Ive attached a few pics, its hard to get a clear shot of where he mounted the balasts, as his also covered them in some sort of padding? (perhaps heat shield?? ). I ended up going for thr 6000k as well as changing my parker lights, was originally wanting to go with the 5000k but im glad i went 6000, looks sweeet!!

hey mate, sweet job there, just wondering how much did it cost you all up for the HID's and installation

Hi Dave

Great to hear you're having some fun setting up your sound. I've been through a recent exercise and agree that you'll benefit from it.

As for your speakers, SC6900s up front are fantastic and really lift the sound stage. However, SP6910s in the rear will not work. I was looking at putting these in and the guys at Northfield Macgregor tried but could not get them to fit properly as they are too deep and the hit the boot springs. They even tried raising them, but then the parcel shelf became a problem. Luckily for me they upgraded me to SC6900 components for the rear as well and they are a good fit.

Agree that Dynamat will be a great addition as well, and has worked for me.

As for amp, I initially didn't have an amp and went for the Eclipse internal amps (AVN726EA), but only Tuesday this week had an Eclipse EA4200 amp installed under my passenger seat and all 4 speakers connected to that. It has brought better clarity and depth to my sound, not to mention louder music (without being distorted).

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Michael

Edited by michaelweare

Nice work Dave...well done,your cars coming along nicely :clap:

btw i have a cheap little 4 channel amp for sale in the buy & sell...just a thought :whistling:

Thanks Lee, and I have sent you a PM regarding a certain 4 channel amp..... :whistling:

hey mate, sweet job there, just wondering how much did it cost you all up for the HID's and installation

Hey mate, I sent you a PM, but if you want more info check out http://www.volatilecustoms.com/

Hi Dave

Great to hear you're having some fun setting up your sound. I've been through a recent exercise and agree that you'll benefit from it.

As for your speakers, SC6900s up front are fantastic and really lift the sound stage. However, SP6910s in the rear will not work. I was looking at putting these in and the guys at Northfield Macgregor tried but could not get them to fit properly as they are too deep and the hit the boot springs. They even tried raising them, but then the parcel shelf became a problem. Luckily for me they upgraded me to SC6900 components for the rear as well and they are a good fit.

Agree that Dynamat will be a great addition as well, and has worked for me.

As for amp, I initially didn't have an amp and went for the Eclipse internal amps (AVN726EA), but only Tuesday this week had an Eclipse EA4200 amp installed under my passenger seat and all 4 speakers connected to that. It has brought better clarity and depth to my sound, not to mention louder music (without being distorted).

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Michael

Hey, thanks for the heads up! just wondering where you mounted the tweeter in the rear shelf?

thanks again for your input :)

[quote

Hey, thanks for the heads up! just wondering where you mounted the tweeter in the rear shelf?

The tweeter got mounted on the outside of each speaker but under the parcel shelf. I don't have a pic handy, but if you look at the parcel shelf, you'll see that the parcel shelf is perforated (ie holes going right through) where the 6x9 speaker is. The rest of the holes are blocked off but look like they form a rectangular shape beyond the size of the speaker. We had extra holes drilled out specifically for the tweeters and they sit under this. All very stealth (looks factory) and the sound is able to pass through very well.

If this doesn't make sense I'll try to get a photo for you. Going away for a couple of days, so can try after that.

Cheers

Michael

The tweeter got mounted on the outside of each speaker but under the parcel shelf. I don't have a pic handy, but if you look at the parcel shelf, you'll see that the parcel shelf is perforated (ie holes going right through) where the 6x9 speaker is. The rest of the holes are blocked off but look like they form a rectangular shape beyond the size of the speaker. We had extra holes drilled out specifically for the tweeters and they sit under this. All very stealth (looks factory) and the sound is able to pass through very well.

If this doesn't make sense I'll try to get a photo for you. Going away for a couple of days, so can try after that.

Cheers

Michael

hey mate, thanks for the explanation, it makes perfect sense :) but feel free to post pics if you got 'em :)

I just spoke to Rob from Volatile Customs and he said that his fitted the SP6910's into Aurions before without a problem.. :huh:

So looks like if it works I'll still get the point source 6x9's in the rear shelf! Will try and get some pics on how he manages to get them to fit when the car goes in.. if not then im not fussed about running the 6x9 components in the rear too, perhaps running the tweeter up high in the rear pillar?

hrmmm after i get the sound sorted out, looks like ill be looking at wheels... anyone have any suggestions on what would look good on a White AT-X? think i'd wanna stay at around 19inch? or 18? i had a look at the standard toyota KAPA wheels and they look pretty nice... any other suggestions without blowing the bank? :P

Edited by -DAvo