Dash Cluster

troubled

I think we all know about Aurion speedo being 5-8km/h faster than actual speed. I called my local Toyota last week, told him my speedo was 6km/h out and I needed it fixed, he said if I was doing 100km/h that would be 5% out and it is acceptable upto 10%. I politely told him that my car never goes on freeways but it ferries my kids to and from school (which was a lie) and most of speed zone the car travels in is 40km/h and being 6km/h it effectively is 15% out. Without any hassles he ordered a new dash cluster and replaced it for me, now the speedo is exactly the same as my tomtom unit. So if your cars are still under warranty, you are certainly able to get it replaced/fixed.

I find that my speedo being out is more of a proportional thing. In other words, it is out by about 4km/h at 100km/h making that 4%. This 4% stands fairly true throughout the range. So when I am going 40km/h according to the speedo, my GPS displays 38km/h, and at 200km/h, my GPS displays approximately 192km/h.

I'd rather have it showing 4km/h under my actual speed since it makes it easier when I need to drop my speed around speed cameras. Though it hasn't saved me from speeding fines however.... but that's another story.

But good work job getting them to replace that for you. It certainly isn't a cheap item for them to replace.

I think my speedo's pretty accurate in comparison to other manufacturers.

60km/h on Speedo = 58km/h on GPS

100km/h on Speedo = 98km/h on GPS

200km/h on Speedo = 197km/h on GPS

:) But yeah, as DJKOR said, good work on getting the cluster replaced. Was thinking how they would transfer the kms over but I guess it IS all computer done.

as DJKOR said, it is proportionate to the speed youre doing, and some speedos are out more than others, and some less. so well done to you! not only did you get a new dash display, but i think you found the dumbest toyota dealer in australia. try and get other things of them too :P

200km in the Aurion ain't so bad, It's quite stable actually. You only start to feel it get light once you get to 230km/h.

200udi.jpg

Note: The above speed was not obtained on public road. Do not attempt to replicate above speed on public roads. :ninja:

I can confirm that at 200km/h the auspack unit had me doing slightly less and at 100km/h the Auspack unit has me doing 96km/hr

I would have to slightly disagree and say that it gets hairy at 220 and not 230 as mentioned by Daryl, although i'll be honest and say i haven't got to 230 yet...

post-7221-1245718032_thumb.jpg

I would have to slightly disagree and say that it gets hairy at 220 and not 230 as mentioned by Daryl, although i'll be honest and say i haven't got to 230 yet...

... Adrenalin's do help a bit with the stability.

The worst (or best?) feeling is speed limiter at 245km/h (GPS speed; 250km/h on the speedo). It's hard to explain but it's like floating on air. I'm never going up there again.

Interesting thread... i was actually under the impression that all Toyota's were 4-8km under what is read on the speedo... that it was a factory set thing or something. Never heard of it being the other away around like Troubled's speedo. I would definately get it fixed if it actual speed was faster than what speedo says! But being the other way around I actually don't mind it... helps with speed cameras etc. Just better being a little out the other way.

I thought all Toyota's were out because every Toyota I have been to date is like that (unless my GPS is out!). In my Hilux when the speedo is on 100km/hr GPS reads 93km/hr. In the Aurion when the speedo is n 100km/hr the GPS reads 94km/hr.

Interesting thread... i was actually under the impression that all Toyota's were 4-8km under what is read on the speedo... that it was a factory set thing or something. Never heard of it being the other away around like Troubled's speedo. I would definately get it fixed if it actual speed was faster than what speedo says! But being the other way around I actually don't mind it... helps with speed cameras etc. Just better being a little out the other way.

Of course if the speedo was showing slower than actual speed, then you should definitley get it fixed. With troubled, I don't think his speedo was innaccurate in this direction based on his wording:

Aurion speedo being 5-8km/h faster than actual speed

With them being out, I think it's more to do as a design consideration. These things are all manufactured and put into cars on an assembly line. Because it would be a bit of a process to calibrate each and every speedo once installed in the car, I think they are all built with up to a 10% tolerance and that is biased towards the 'under side' for safety reasons.

My speedo was not proportionately slow like Daryl's.. I was consistently 6km/h slower than the actual speed.

Speedo:Actual Speed

40km/h on speedo = 34km/h actual speed

60km/h on speedo = 54km/h actual speed

80km/h on speedo = 74km/h actual speed

100km/h on speedo = 94km/h actual speed

I guess one can learn to just drive 6km/h faster than what the speedo actual displays but I thought by bringing the argument to Toyota I had nothing to lose apart from sounding like a male chicken. I think Toyota has calibrated my speedo; it is spot on all the way to 170km/h.