Going to uni next year and need new car...

So next year i am going to uni for 3 years. I have a 03 sportivo and i worked our my finances and i wont be able to afford this car next year. I dont want to buy a piece of crap, nor something too expensive. I dont know if i want to stay with toyota or go for a different brand. I more or less want to stay with the small car bracket. I guess i am willing to spend up to 10 grand? or so... Any recommendations to a car i could purchase that will not cause me any headaches for the price restrictions?

Also i have i wondering how much i could get for my sportivo. It has only been lowered with king springs. Everything else is stock, has 97,000 kms on the clock, minor skirt damage and a slight dint on above the right hand front wheel. Comes with clarion dvd in dash player, full service history.

thanks all :)

Stick with the stivo I would suggest and try not hitting lift too often as it is quite an economical car I would say. :-D With abt 100k on the clock you will probably get around 15-16k max since some ppl with much lower k's are struggling to get under 18-19k for their car including some mods.

Having said that, if you buy a car around $10k with the stamp duty and transfer and blah blah blah you are pretty much in the same position...

Stick with the stivo I would suggest and try not hitting lift too often as it is quite an economical car I would say. :-D With abt 100k on the clock you will probably get around 15-16k max since some ppl with much lower k's are struggling to get under 18-19k for their car including some mods.

Having said that, if you buy a car around $10k with the stamp duty and transfer and blah blah blah you are pretty much in the same position...

Exactly. I'd be doing this ^^^^^

If you already own the Stivo, spending 10k on another car really isnt gonna put you in a better position. Just getting rid of your lead foot and shifting at 3,000 rpm for the next few yrs will have the same effect on the hip pocket.

If you don't own you car (eg have a loan, hence why you cant afford it anymore), then replace it with something like an AE102... you can pick them up for around 4k these days.

Yeah you've gotta think about the overheads in buying and selling cars before you get too carried away. When you sell a car you may have to do some work to it so you can sell it with roadworthy and reg (depends on state of course) then with another car you have all your on road costs plus anything that new car might need done to it.

If you are super keen to sell then the most economical thing would be to grab an AE102 like was mentioned rather than something really new and save the rest for when you are in a better financial position and can afford to go back up market.

Or... just keep the Sportivo and and drive it sensibly and maybe look to see if you can trim your budget somewhere else.

I hope you're not going to uni to do finances or accounting ;) j/k good luck!