sports exhaust EDIT: lightweight pulleys and cams

addy287

hey guys been a while since i did anything to my car..i've decided to replace the factory muffler and tip..hopefully in the near future headers, cat etc but for now its all i can afford.

because i dont want it to be too loud im thinking of going for a PEX sports exhaust with a 1 inlet 3 chamber 1 outlet with a dual tip. the size of the tips i chose is big enough but not too big its 2 big D's but one is back to front if u get wot i mean.

i got a quote $286 installed

tell me wot u think, or if you guys have any other sugestions of brand etc, i dont want it too loud, im going mainly for looks but an improved 'deep' sports tone

thanks heaps guys

sort of like this, but less elongated

C6Exh_Slvr.jpg

EDIT:

where can i buy lightweight pulleys for a 1mz-fe from? and do they make a difference to the acceleration?

and where can i buy new cams?

Edited by addy287

Seems a bit cheap, you sure thats not just for a muffler? You'll want to do the whole exhaust system (catback) wont you?

that quote is just for rear muffler and new dual tips and installation

im not doing catback yet due to lack of funds :angry:

yours is an auto, correct?

if so, it will still sound nice under load and WOT (depending on the quality of the muffler), but during normal driving and shifting will tend to somewhat drone

lukey mufflers are reknown for having a deeper, throaty rumble to them but i have no idea on the pricing. your best bet is to just go around to various exhaust shops and get different ideas from a few professionals about different combinations

if for now youre planning on keep the normal piping from the block back, then it should be ok. but as soon as you increase the piping diameter (for 1mz, i'd say a maximum of 2.5") the louder the droning will become louder

yours is an auto, correct?

if so, it will still sound nice under load and WOT (depending on the quality of the muffler), but during normal driving and shifting will tend to somewhat drone

lukey mufflers are reknown for having a deeper, throaty rumble to them but i have no idea on the pricing. your best bet is to just go around to various exhaust shops and get different ideas from a few professionals about different combinations

if for now youre planning on keep the normal piping from the block back, then it should be ok. but as soon as you increase the piping diameter (for 1mz, i'd say a maximum of 2.5") the louder the droning will become louder

thanks for the advice, i've been around to a few places, they are generally saying similar things about the noise that i will get from it. its probs just a matter of price atm.

btw i asked about headers, no-one sells them would i have to get them custom or from the states???

and also i've heard a few people saying that the 'Y' pipe is restrictive...if i ask them the change the y pipe will they know wot i mean?

tail pipes look tops

whitestivo

thanx hopefully it will be money well spent...

and STYLSH as for the y pipe is it something that i could do myself if i have a grinder and welder and the likes? and TRD eshaust :wub: only in my dreams lol

Edited by addy287

and STYLSH as for the y pipe is it something that i could do myself if i have a grinder and welder and the likes?

Probably would also need something to bend the pipe with as well. Best left to a muffler shop for thing like that unless you have access to a workshop.

You probably could do it yourself but you'll need to buy all the bends and a Y collector pipe to weld though everything together though. Oh and you probably wont be able to do it as neat or as tidy as a shop unless you have the proper tools and skills :)

Stock Y pipe

Ypipeinthecamry.jpg

Edited by STYLSH

You probably could do it yourself but you'll need to buy all the bends and a Y collector pipe to weld though everything together though.

Stock Y pipe

Ypipeinthecamry.jpg

excuse the noobness in this question but which part of it is restrictive and how should it be changed?

the triangle bit?

so should i get it made bigger?

That 'triangle' bit appears to be just covering the actual merge. Ideally, you would want to make it so that all the exhaust gasses flow as freely as they can into the pipe that goes to the left of the picture. Looking at that, it nearly looks like the exhaust from the rear cylinder bank would be pushing against the exhaust from the front bank, or at right angles to it. Preferably it would be good to have both of the pipes 'aiming' in the same direction.

Sorry for the lacking explanation. Here is a photo of the one on the Aurion. You kind of want it like this, but much neater. As you can see, the Aurion has a problem in that area as well:

dsc02997tq5.th.jpg

the triangle bit?

so should i get it made bigger?

That 'triangle' bit appears to be just covering the actual merge. Ideally, you would want to make it so that all the exhaust gasses flow as freely as they can into the pipe that goes to the left of the picture. Looking at that, it nearly looks like the exhaust from the rear cylinder bank would be pushing against the exhaust from the front bank, or at right angles to it. Preferably it would be good to have both of the pipes 'aiming' in the same direction.

Sorry for the lacking explanation. Here is a photo of the one on the Aurion. You kind of want it like this, but much neater. As you can see, the Aurion has a problem in that area as well:

dsc02997tq5.th.jpg

this is going to sound really weird if i cant explain it right

would it be better if instead of them merging at the triangle bit, have the back bank turn around the other way so that it just connects to the pipe near the sticker, and get rid of the flexy stuff and make it a straight pipe to the cat if that makes sense

Yeah man, would be much better to run the rear bank exhaust towards the rear of the car and join into the other pipe at around the sticker area... Should still keep the flexible pipe design tho...

Aurions are a big restriction in this area...

Yeah man, would be much better to run the rear bank exhaust towards the rear of the car and join into the other pipe at around the sticker area... Should still keep the flexible pipe design tho...

Aurions are a big restriction in this area...

thanks for all the helps guys, really do appreciate it

just on the cam gears and lightweight pulleys anyone got any info about them?

just on the cam gears and lightweight pulleys anyone got any info about them?

Waste of money on a stock engine. Plus replacing the standard harmonic balancer with a light weight crank pulley usually ends in disaster.

another thing with the y-pipe is that although the stock pipes look big, theyre actually baffled and the inside diameter is much smaller. so even going for standard non-baffled 2.25" piping for the y-pipe, (even keeping the stock joint method) would free it up a lot.

the rest of the stock exhaust isnt very restrictive as it's all mandrel bent anyway. the only way you would gain something was just going for bigger piping, the design of it would mean nothing.

for headers, you can get them custom made, but it will cost you a lot (around $1000). there's a lot of fitting and refitting and swearing and more refitting with custom made headers, but it is possible

but a custom y-pipe and a good free flowing design from the resonator back would be an excellent start

I dont really think that lightweight pullys would make much of a difference at all, epecially not on the v6s...the reason why they make some difference when supercharging is because the supercharger itself is a big drain on the engine.