GPS unit installation idea?

-DAvo

Ok so this may be a crazy/stupid idea... but i was wondering....

... has anyone had a gps unit installed in that gap where the ashtray sits? i was thinking about having that ashtray removed and also the facia just above it (the single din where climate controls are located on higher spec models) and having a new facia made up to accomodate a gps/nav unit?

am i crazy in thinking of this? will be hinder the gps unit if i need to update maps etc?

any thoughts or ideas would be great.. not too keen on mounting a gps on the windscreen...

i have attached a image with the area in questions highlighted in yellow..

thanks!

post-13790-1247898750_thumb.jpg

Edited by -DAvo

First trial it out to see if you can get a GPS signal from there. If you can, and it doesn't have issues while driving, then go ahead and continue with your plans. It would be a neat alternative to put it there.

Too bad we don't have a large tray there like the US Gen 6 Camry. Some of the guys over in the States have been mounting theirs in that spot. You can see how they have a large storage box where it can hide:

camry-hybrid-de-07.jpg

Love the large tray instead, more practically in putting things.. its like what the Honda Accord Euro is having, got a headunit installed in that position (my gf's sister car) recently.. Looks good too..

First trial it out to see if you can get a GPS signal from there. If you can, and it doesn't have issues while driving, then go ahead and continue with your plans. It would be a neat alternative to put it there.

Too bad we don't have a large tray there like the US Gen 6 Camry. Some of the guys over in the States have been mounting theirs in that spot. You can see how they have a large storage box where it can hide:

camry-hybrid-de-07.jpg

very good point there... will have to test that out. thanks for the heads up! :)

surely we could buy that part daryl, no?

Would need to get it from the States as the Aussie Gen 6 Camry doesn't seem to have it. Even though the space is similar, it can't be guaranteed as to whether it will fit because the Camry centre console disassembles a little bit different to the Aurion.

• 2 weeks later...
The area is perfect for a 7 inch widescreen gps or monitor.

brilliant!! thanks for those images, has given me new hope for my initial plans.. :yahoo:

will be looking at installing a 4inch widescreen gps unit in that spot... just going to test it with my mates gps unit (to make sure i can get a reliable signal from there) next week...

thanks again

The area is perfect for a 7 inch widescreen gps or monitor.

brilliant!! thanks for those images, has given me new hope for my initial plans.. :yahoo:

will be looking at installing a 4inch widescreen gps unit in that spot... just going to test it with my mates gps unit (to make sure i can get a reliable signal from there) next week...

thanks again

Some GPSs have an antenna port that you could attache an antenna to and mount under the dash.