Alternator/A/C compressor belt idler

2008camrydriver

Good morning all, I recently had the air con serviced on my 1994 3VZ-FE Camry and have noticed that the idler pulley for the Alternator/A/C compressor belt has fallen off (I think the tech didn't tighten the bolt back up properly). I'm just wondering if it needs to be re-installed as the belt is tight enough and I haven't noticed any side effects from it?

If it didnt need to be there Toyota wouldnt fit it in the first place. I think you should find another one.

I guess I'm also trying to find out WHY it's there in the first place...it dosen't seem to need it. the belt is under the correct tension and there is no flex or slippage of the belt, even with hard revving of the engine.

Also the fact that it's not mentioned in any of my workshop manuals (which would have the bolt torque) is interesting.

There are two idler pulleys for your engine, and the workshop manuals do actually say to inspect the idler pulleys for oil leaks and to make sure they turn smoothly. If one of the pulleys fell off, id suggest goin back to the mechanic and have him check all other pulleys. Heres a manual:

http://camrystuff.com/manuals/Gen3/eg2.pdf

page 48

There are two idler pulleys for your engine, and the workshop manuals do actually say to inspect the idler pulleys for oil leaks and to make sure they turn smoothly. If one of the pulleys fell off, id suggest goin back to the mechanic and have him check all other pulleys. Heres a manual:

http://camrystuff.com/manuals/Gen3/eg2.pdf

page 48

No, thats for the TIMING BELT. I'm after information the Alternator/A/C compressor belt idler (it's also called the 'fan belt'). I think if the one of the timing belt idlers had fallen off I would stranded with a big repair bill but as stated the car runs fine.

I need to know if theres anything wrong with not re-installing this idler pulley.

Can you look at the attached diagram and point out where you believe it fell off from? There doesn't appear to be one for that specific belt. Since the belt forms a triangular loop, the alternator is where tension on the belt is adjusted from:

beltr.jpg

3vzfe.jpg

Can you look at the attached diagram and point out where you believe it fell off from? There doesn't appear to be one for that specific belt. Since the belt forms a triangular loop, the alternator is where tension on the belt is adjusted from:

beltr.jpg

3vzfe.jpg

Yeah, thats why I think it's not required, as the belt tension seems fine without it.

The idler pulley sat just below the alternator pulley and pressed on the OUTSIDE of the belt. There is a thread for it on a bracket that comes off the side of the alternator.

Does that make sense?

The tech had installed it as when I got it back there was sqeeling sound coming from the engine (I assume this was because the idler was loose and in the process of falling off).

Then the sqeeling stopped and when I went to find out why thats when I saw the idler pulley sitting on the floor of the engine bay. I remember it's location from previous work I've done on the car and confirmed the location of the thread for it.