Evo7

• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds easier than the Gt4 where you have to drop the tank :rolleyes:

It is surprising what mechanics can stuff up some-times!

THIS!!!..

GT4's are homosexual in that regard.

OT: Who is helping with the 2ZZ wiring evan?

Well, Superdave has a spare 2zz wiring loom, so he is going to modify that to be plug 'n' play into the 2zz PFC.

Evan would it be easier to use a Power FC from a 1ZZ MR-S?

BTW car looks great at that height and with the new wheels :lol:

Hmmm... possibly, but the wiring ECU pinouts (from what i have been informed) are very much the same for the 1zz and 2zz Corollas...

Thanks man, i have come a looooooong way since when i first signed up here :P

Foglights should be arriving this week :yahoo::toast:

Evo

Evan would it be easier to use a Power FC from a 1ZZ MR-S?

The MR-S has different wiring to the Celica so I'd have to start from scratch. The 2zz ECU in theory works if the lift point is moved above redline (which the PowerFC allows). Even still if there is no sensor (in this case the VVTL solenoid) to recieve the signal from the ECU it won't do anything with that signal regardless. Change the numbers in the map around so it only need to work for one cam profile and it should be fine. But I want to do some testing to ensure the finer points are ok. Evan's car has already run with the 2zz PowerFC ;)

to get the 1zz powerfc to work you move the thermofan trigger wire

Hmm, my wiring diagram must be for a different market then. Can't argue against you since you have done it already :lol:

But the decision is entirely up to Evan as to what he wants to do, I'm in no way pushing him for my setup.

with the 2zz powerfc, the thing to check is if there's any timing offset due to trigger position variation between the 1zz and 2zz. To do this you will need to lock the timing in the powerfc to say 10 or 15 degrees and then use an appropriate timing light to check that the engine is actually running the same timing at the crank pulley.

If you've only got an inductive pickup timing light, then you can use an old piece of spark plug lead attached to the #1 cylinder coilpack and plug. Put the pickup around the spark plug lead section and the timing light will then work.

If the engine reads differently to what is set in the powerfc, then you will need to take that offset into account for the whole timng map. This is because there's no trigger offset adjustment available in the powerfc.

The foglights i had ordered on Friday have arrived :D

Pics of the box and stuff to come soon :P

@jas and Supa,

i am gonna have to have a deep think about what you have said... i am unsure if i understand all of it lol :P

Evo

with the 2zz powerfc, the thing to check is if there's any timing offset due to trigger position variation between the 1zz and 2zz. To do this you will need to lock the timing in the powerfc to say 10 or 15 degrees and then use an appropriate timing light to check that the engine is actually running the same timing at the crank pulley.

If you've only got an inductive pickup timing light, then you can use an old piece of spark plug lead attached to the #1 cylinder coilpack and plug. Put the pickup around the spark plug lead section and the timing light will then work.

If the engine reads differently to what is set in the powerfc, then you will need to take that offset into account for the whole timng map. This is because there's no trigger offset adjustment available in the powerfc.

Ok, final verdict,

Jason, which set-up would be simpler and still give me 100kw ATW as my target? Cause now i am just confused.

Emanage or the 2zz Power FC?

If you still have that Emanage Blue for 350, pending your conclusion, i MAY get that off you.

Also, i can't do the foglight wiring myself... and i have no idea how they even mount... so an Auto Lecky may be in order.

Evo

both will do 100kw atw just fine, all that comes down to is ignition timing in the top end.

With the powerfc, you need to retain the blitz piggyback. If you get a MR-S powerfc you only need 1 wire moved for it to run properly, but your cluster temp guage wont work. You need a superdave harness for the temp guage to work. The charger tune will need to be spot-on with the powerfc if you want any sort of fuel economy from it.

With the emanage, you can get rid of the blitz piggyback if you want and switch the charger clutch relay from an emanage additional injection output. Wiring the emanage in is more complicated than swapping 1 pin for an MR-S powerfc, but everything will work on the dash, and your fuel economy on cruise etc should be good as the stock ecu will still do it's closed loop thing. Finding a good emanage tuner in Brisbane is the challenge.

Pippy's 2zz injectors were max'd out at 10psi or whatever the TRD charger runs when it did 117kw atw, so bigger injectors are a good idea. Powerfc handles bigger injectors better than an emanage does.

both will do 100kw atw just fine, all that comes down to is ignition timing in the top end.

With the powerfc, you need to retain the blitz piggyback. If you get a MR-S powerfc you only need 1 wire moved for it to run properly, but your cluster temp guage wont work. You need a superdave harness for the temp guage to work. The charger tune will need to be spot-on with the powerfc if you want any sort of fuel economy from it.

With the emanage, you can get rid of the blitz piggyback if you want and switch the charger clutch relay from an emanage additional injection output. Wiring the emanage in is more complicated than swapping 1 pin for an MR-S powerfc, but everything will work on the dash, and your fuel economy on cruise etc should be good as the stock ecu will still do it's closed loop thing. Finding a good emanage tuner in Brisbane is the challenge.

Pippy's 2zz injectors were max'd out at 10psi or whatever the TRD charger runs when it did 117kw atw, so bigger injectors are a good idea. Powerfc handles bigger injectors better than an emanage does.

Hmm...

so now we draw the line, and the main issue here is i have to choose which set-up is what i want...

Well, for what i want, my Ignition and Timing back in sync with each other, i am prepared to go with the Emanage Blue... for my CURRENT situation, stock injectors and stock fuel pump, the Emanage seems to be the best bet...

I am somewhat confused how the Emanage can detect the SC electromagnetic clutch... how is this possible?

So Jason, do you still have that Emanage Blue? Sorry SD, but it just seems too technical for us to get the 2zz PFC working on my car, as Jason has explained. Timing has to be perfect etc. its just not worth the risk.

So all in favour of the Emanage Blue? :P

Evo

Also, i can't do the foglight wiring myself... and i have no idea how they even mount... so an Auto Lecky may be in order.

Evo

dude, this is easy as pie... I can do it for you if you like... next time you come in on a thurs nite, bring it over... i live 3km from the city.

hipowerracing do emanage tuning, and i have heard good things about them.

emanage will handle injectors up to 200% (i think) over stock.. which should be enough, but that said PFC (or another standalone) have nearly limitless potential (providing the rest of the fuel system can back it up)

Hmm...

so now we draw the line, and the main issue here is i have to choose which set-up is what i want...

Well, for what i want, my Ignition and Timing back in sync with each other, i am prepared to go with the Emanage Blue... for my CURRENT situation, stock injectors and stock fuel pump, the Emanage seems to be the best bet...

I am somewhat confused how the Emanage can detect the SC electromagnetic clutch... how is this possible?

So Jason, do you still have that Emanage Blue? Sorry SD, but it just seems too technical for us to get the 2zz PFC working on my car, as Jason has explained. Timing has to be perfect etc. its just not worth the risk.

Evo

IMO for your power goals an emanage blue would be suitable...

That said, if you are going to run moar boost, you really should upgrade the fuel system to cope.

I am guessing what jase means is use the pulse from the additional injector harness to activate/deactivate the SC clutch...

on an emanage blue you can use the additional output wire (vtec etc) to trigger the clutch relay, or use one of the additional injector drivers. The charger switch point can then be setup as either load v's rpm or throttle position vs rpm.

To tune an emanage properly on a zze you need to have a live-data obd2 monitor plugged in so you can keep an eye on the stock ECU's ignition advance and knock levels, that will tell you when you've pushed too far and the stock ecu's knock retard comes into play (cuts out all ignition advance and dumps in fuel to protect the engine).

on an emanage blue you can use the additional output wire (vtec etc) to trigger the clutch relay, or use one of the additional injector drivers. The charger switch point can then be setup as either load v's rpm or throttle position vs rpm.

To tune an emanage properly on a zze you need to have a live-data obd2 monitor plugged in so you can keep an eye on the stock ECU's ignition advance and knock levels, that will tell you when you've pushed too far and the stock ecu's knock retard comes into play (cuts out all ignition advance and dumps in fuel to protect the engine).

Thanks for all the help Mic and Jason,

so now i just need:

Emanage Blue

Live-data OBD2 Monitor - Where can i get this?

Someone to tune it.

Evo

Sorry SD, but it just seems too technical for us to get the 2zz PFC working on my car, as Jason has explained. Timing has to be perfect etc. its just not worth the risk.

I'd rather you had something that gets the job done for a good price. You must be starting to pick lint out of those pockets of yours :P

Last I heard (about 1.5 years ago) HPR charged about $100/hr for tuning, but budget $150/hr in case they have gone up with the new location. Unless anyone else knows a more recent figure?

Thanks for all the help Mic and Jason,

so now i just need:

Emanage Blue

Live-data OBD2 Monitor - Where can i get this?

Someone to tune it.

Evo

a ScanGauge II should do the job (jase, correct me if i am wrong) these can be easily had from ebay.

Sorry SD, but it just seems too technical for us to get the 2zz PFC working on my car, as Jason has explained. Timing has to be perfect etc. its just not worth the risk.

I'd rather you had something that gets the job done for a good price. You must be starting to pick lint out of those pockets of yours :P

Last I heard (about 1.5 years ago) HPR charged about $100/hr for tuning, but budget $150/hr in case they have gone up with the new location. Unless anyone else knows a more recent figure?

I think they quoted me $100 per hour last year... (but then i decided to tune it myself :D).. that was a little while ago, i would ring them if i were you.

mick: id ring them if i were you too... :P hehehe

evan: just pick one and go with it mate... the more you put it off, the more options will arise and the more opinions will be made..

just do your own research and make your OWN decision...

i mean this in the nicest possible way, but you're too easily influenced by other people... dont take offense to that please, thats not my intention...

a ScanGauge II should do the job (jase, correct me if i am wrong) these can be easily had from ebay.

So is this what you mean?

Scanguage II

I think they quoted me $100 per hour last year... (but then i decided to tune it myself :D).. that was a little while ago, i would ring them if i were you.

I will give them a call to see how much it is per hour.

evan: just pick one and go with it mate... the more you put it off, the more options will arise and the more opinions will be made..

just do your own research and make your OWN decision...

i mean this in the nicest possible way, but you're too easily influenced by other people... dont take offense to that please, thats not my intention...

Nah man, its all good :P i have finally locked in with the Emanage Blue, plus the OBD2 Data Monitor Scanner as above.

Getting all high-tech now :P

Evo