ARC Aurion

chicaboo

I've always liked the Aussie Legends>Aussie Racing Cars series. Back in May they brought out this baby TRD Aurion, I think it's very well done.

http://www.aussieracingcars.com.au/aurion.htm

It's a pitty these things have gone from costing $20-25k to build, and are now easily up around the $50k mark! :o

Long time, Gav.

I'm guessing they'd be very twitchy/nervous with such a short wheelbase compared to the power they make! :o

They're only putting out 90-odd kw, and they only weigh 500kg so that compensates a lot for the short wheelbase.

It's all in the suspension tune anyway, our FSAE car was putting out a tad over 50kw without the restrictor on a much shorter wheelbase and about 300kg, and it was solid and planted like nothing else. Other cars with slightly less weight and shorter wheelbases but much different suspension tunes were twitchy oversteering monsters, especially the ones running singles

i could be wrong but i thought i heard somewhere once that they're running on motorcycle engines, is that right??

wish my aurion could sing up to 9500rpm lol

Yep, 1.2L Yamaha FJ1200 sports-tourer, which has interestingly been out of production for 13 years - all engines used in the Aussie Racing cars (ARC is Australian Rally Championship, to avoid confusion) are bought used.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

You wanna see power to weight jump on you tube and look up "r1 powered go-kart"

There are several go-karts on the tube powered by motorcycle engines this one is particularly difficult to handle i am sure i hear it losing traction through all six gears!!!!