New member from Perth

1mzfe_dave

Hi, I'm Dave and I joined these forums earlier today to help me get in touch with other toyota/camry owners and to hopefully give me some advice and ideas for my 2000 Camry Touring (manual).

So far I have fitted a genuine GT-P/Sportivo kit, 20% tint, TRD leather gearknob, strut brace, nolathane rear swaybar bushes, king lows, new shocks and a sony CDX-GT570 head unit running thru the stock speakers.

Plans for the next few months are as follows:

- Exedy sports tuff clutch

- Whiteline front and rear swaybars

- KYB shocks (current ones are rubbish)

- 17 or 18 inch mags (currently undecided)

- DBA slotted front rotors and Ferodo XL pads

- Sports muffler with twin tips

- JVC 12" powered sub

- New steering rack

- Nolathane steering rack, front swaybar and lower control arm bushes

- Full service, oil and filters change (inc. K&N panel filter)

When I bought this car I realised immediately that it had potential but I would need to do a lot of work to the suspension, brakes and steering... It had awesome power but it handled like a boat! It had only 123,000kms on the clock and had some superficial damage to the front and rear bumpers and almost the entire driver's side.

Will post updates as they progress - for now, here are a few pics of the car I took today (2 days after picking it up from the panelbeater) - love the new kit :)

Hey Dave, that is one nice looking Gen 4!! I love my Camry's :D And it's a manual too!! :toast: I love that we're getting more manual owners, proves they do exist and they're going strong ;)

The future plans sound great, so please be sure to keep us all posted! HID kit would look hot against the green too.

damn thats nice... welcome mate! hope u enjoy ur time here. + dont forget to check the events thread and make sure u come to meet all of us :)

WELCOME :)

Thank you :) Well, you give me a time and place and we'll see what we can do :) how regularly do you organise meets/cruises and what kind of turn out do you usually expect?? I'm north of the river by the way...

Hey Dave, that is one nice looking Gen 4!! I love my Camry's :D And it's a manual too!! :toast: I love that we're getting more manual owners, proves they do exist and they're going strong ;)

The future plans sound great, so please be sure to keep us all posted! HID kit would look hot against the green too.

Yeah I guess I kinda made a deliberate point of stating it was manual - I like to drive my cars, not steer them ;) oh and the manual mcv20r's are about a second faster to 100 than the autos based on manufacturers specs.

I dunno if I can justify the cost of HIDs but we'll see once I see a few examples in the flesh ;)

damn thats nice... welcome mate! hope u enjoy ur time here. + dont forget to check the events thread and make sure u come to meet all of us :)

WELCOME :)

Thank you :) Well, you give me a time and place and we'll see what we can do :) how regularly do you organise meets/cruises and what kind of turn out do you usually expect?? I'm north of the river by the way...

i dont normally organise it. its normally our mod ( kenneth ) and the rest :P. we havent make any regular meet eg every week, every 2 week etc. we normally make meets when theres going to be a big turn out ( uni holiday etc XD).

dont worry mate theres alot of NOR guys in this forum :)

i think i saw your car around the landsdale area once!

Haha it wasn't in the last couple of weeks was it?? My panelbeater is in Landsdale :) Anyone know a good wheel shop NOR?? I want someone who takes the time to put each rim against the car and actually has an opinion!

Haha it wasn't in the last couple of weeks was it?? My panelbeater is in Landsdale :) Anyone know a good wheel shop NOR?? I want someone who takes the time to put each rim against the car and actually has an opinion!

ahah must've been you! if I remember correctly i saw you around there about a month ago

also woo more gen 4 members, maybe we should all rock up to the next tocau meet!

ahah must've been you! if I remember correctly i saw you around there about a month ago

also woo more gen 4 members, maybe we should all rock up to the next tocau meet!

Well the kit was only fitted in the last week so it's unlikely unless you saw me without a kit?? Yeah I'm surprised there aren't more gen 4 owners - they are the best looking camry in my opinion... The gen 6's come close but unfortunately they have no v6 option :(

Well the kit was only fitted in the last week so it's unlikely unless you saw me without a kit?? Yeah I'm surprised there aren't more gen 4 owners - they are the best looking camry in my opinion... The gen 6's come close but unfortunately they have no v6 option :(

You what?! How did you get this kit?! :o

I was really lucky actually - just happened to be in the right place at the right time! Some dude on ebay was selling the full genuine kit and I don't know if he realised what he had... It was brand new and included all the clips, screws, etc... I set my maximum bid to something ridiculous and just sat back and waited :)

It's been sitting in the back room for a few months, along with my new rack and bushes, etc waiting for me to get a chance around work to get them fitted!

Welcome to the forum 1mzfe_dave.

I have a 1999 Camry Touring V6 manual that is identical to yours colour wise, my friends and I have christened her "Emerald". It is completely stock aside from Monroe GT-Gas shocks. I do not have the GT-P/Sportivo kit, but what a lovely find!

I bought mine with 110,000kms on the clock back in November 2006, I'm now up to 180,000kms. The only major things to have been replaced are the shocks, steering rack and power steering pump. Other than that, just general servicing following the log book.

I regularly switch between a 1999 Touring and 1999 Vienta VXi - I find the VXi a nice drive in traffic as it is auto but my Touring has much more get up and go and seems a bit more effortless.

Cheers man :)

Two gen 4 camrys eh?? Interesting decision to get an auto and a manual - I bet you really notice the difference hey! I've driven a lot of camrys in my time, ranging from the early imports to the mcv36 and the mcv20r manual is definitely the quickest i've driven (altho I am yet to drive a manual gen 5)... I used to drive auto gen 5 v6s for my old job and that was when I first thought "I wonder how hard this motor would go with a manual box?" - having said that, the autos were a lot more responsive than the slush boxes we had in the BA falcon utes...

Good move replacing the rack - seems like a pretty common issue with a lot of camrys... My bro's old SV21 used to take about 1/8th of a turn on the wheel b4 the wheels moved and mine is starting to get pretty sloppy too...

Emerald eh?? It's a nice colour altho it would be the darkest colour I've had so far which is making it a lot harder to plan my modifications tastefully... I just can't wait to kick this flu so I can get back to work and order the rest of my parts!