repair or replace need help

Ray89

lol get it done asap before the cracks start travelling.

o'briens can fill that up, saw it on tv not too long ago.

but if it does need replacing, youre probably looking at 375+

well hope i do only need repair .... and hope i do have windscreen covered in my insurance haha

O'Briens state that they can usually do a repair if it is smaller than a $1 coin (50c is a _bit_ larger :P), and smaller if it is in the driver's direct line of vision. That, and it needs to be more than 5cm from the edge of the screen.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

I was looking at getting a new windscreen because of a chip that had hit it and then cracked about 30cm up from the bottom on the passenger side.

I ended up getting it repaired, but the cost of a new windscreen was around $220.

ohhh so you had a chip and u had a crack leading out of the chip by 30cm yea?

As Hiro suggested, this diagram shows the critical information as to whether or not your chip can be repaired:

chipv.jpg

If it can be repaired, it's critical to get it done as soon as you can. I once got a stone chip on morning that looked pretty harmless. Went to work and left it for the day. Got back in the car, still the same size. On the drive home, hit a pothole and noticed a crack develop from the chip. Over the 10km drive home, it started to get bigger and bigger. By the time I drove the car out the next day, the crack was about 20cm long in a 'U' shape.

As Hiro suggested, this diagram shows the critical information as to whether or not your chip can be repaired:

chipv.jpg

If it can be repaired, it's critical to get it done as soon as you can. I once got a stone chip on morning that looked pretty harmless. Went to work and left it for the day. Got back in the car, still the same size. On the drive home, hit a pothole and noticed a crack develop from the chip. Over the 10km drive home, it started to get bigger and bigger. By the time I drove the car out the next day, the crack was about 20cm long in a 'U' shape.

ohh true shiz :( now im scared lol because i couldnt book obrien for today so it had to be tomorrow now DAMMIT :P yeah the crack is just near the top on the front passenger area but it looks like its more than 5 cm from the top :(

Edited by Ray89

put some clear tape over the outside of the chip so no condensation/moisture can get into it before it gets repaired.

Novus etc actually give you little clear tape patches to keep in the glovebox to keep moisture out of chips like that before they're repaired.

I was looking at getting a new windscreen because of a chip that had hit it and then cracked about 30cm up from the bottom on the passenger side.

I ended up getting it repaired, but the cost of a new windscreen was around $220.

Not exactly.

I got a small chip in the windscreen from a truck that drove past me. We were both doing 100km/h, so the stone that hit me would've had some speed behind it.

In any case, I got a guy to come and fix it for me. He injected a resin into the crack after drilling it out a bit. Then he put a suction cap like thing on it. Next thing we heard was a craaaack.

The chip, which was about 15cm up, directly in the passenger's line of sight had blown into a crack which headed down to the bottom off the windscreen, and up about 15cm further.

The window guy drilled out the end of the crack, and filled the whole thing with resin.

It's been about 12 months now, and I haven't had it grow any further. :P

Because I do a lot of highway driving, I chose not to get it replaced just yet. If it grows anymore, I'll definitely do it. I've been told that these corolla windscreens are under a lot of pressure when they're on the car, and the tiniest amount of pressure on a weakspot can cause exactly this.

Not exactly.

I got a small chip in the windscreen from a truck that drove past me. We were both doing 100km/h, so the stone that hit me would've had some speed behind it.

In any case, I got a guy to come and fix it for me. He injected a resin into the crack after drilling it out a bit. Then he put a suction cap like thing on it. Next thing we heard was a craaaack.

The chip, which was about 15cm up, directly in the passenger's line of sight had blown into a crack which headed down to the bottom off the windscreen, and up about 15cm further.

The window guy drilled out the end of the crack, and filled the whole thing with resin.

It's been about 12 months now, and I haven't had it grow any further. :P

Because I do a lot of highway driving, I chose not to get it replaced just yet. If it grows anymore, I'll definitely do it. I've been told that these corolla windscreens are under a lot of pressure when they're on the car, and the tiniest amount of pressure on a weakspot can cause exactly this.

oh true lol ill try to keep going over bumps a minimal? til tomorrow i guess i stuck sticky tape on it but i doubt it will hold it :P just to keep the moisture out i guess

i just had a crack fixed by Obrien and was told if the crack was bigger than a 50 cent piece then it would need to be replaced with a new windscreen. Yours looks compared to the fifty cents bigger.

Do you have windscreen cover on your insurance as some insurance companies( i am with nrma) will replace the windscreen without charge or excess. and you do not lose your no claim bonus.

i just had a crack fixed by Obrien and was told if the crack was bigger than a 50 cent piece then it would need to be replaced with a new windscreen. Yours looks compared to the fifty cents bigger.

Do you have windscreen cover on your insurance as some insurance companies( i am with nrma) will replace the windscreen without charge or excess. and you do not lose your no claim bonus.

i think its just the same size as a 50cent piece aww man ... dunt wanna replace if i dont have insurance gay....