Busted Taillight!

MJG

Hi all.

I have a 2007 Aurion Sportivo SX6 which I've had for about 6 months now.

This afternoon I was around at the parents place and I happened to reverse into a random object in their driveway :(

Luckily, the only thing that got damaged was the passenger side outer brake light, so I thought I would duck down to Toyota and grab a new one. Upon them looking it up, the cost for the unit is $540! Ridiculous...

I'm located in Brisbane, so I've called a few wreckers, but none seem to have anything. I would of thought a few Sportivo's would have been in collisions by now... :P

Is anyone making non-genuine parts yet? I found some on E-Bay, but they only suit ATX rears. I would much prefer a genuine one, but I don't particularly feel like spending $540 on a taillight :blink:

Any help would be much appreciated. :clap:

... so I thought I would duck down to Toyota and grab a new one.

Never just a simple process when you are talking about an LED tail light from Toyota.

Yeah, I learnt the hard way when I put a minor crack in my tail light (long story... caused by subwoofer box). Had to pay $600 (that $540 is minus GST) for a new one.

At the moment, there is no aftermarket option. There is that one on eBay, but as you already noticed, it's for a non-Sportivo due to it's lighter shade of red.

If you can't find a wrecker with a Sportivo, you may have to cop the cost. Bummer it wasn't the other side cause mine is still useable, just has a slightly higher risk of condensation in the indicator portion... but it would have been a good temporary solution:

dsc05084j.jpg

Hi all.

This afternoon I was around at the parents place and I happened to reverse into a random object in their driveway :(

Luckily, the only thing that got damaged was the passenger side outer brake light, so I thought I would duck down to Toyota and grab a new one. Upon them looking it up, the cost for the unit is $540! Ridiculous...

I'm located in Brisbane, so I've called a few wreckers, but none seem to have anything. I would of thought a few Sportivo's would have been in collisions by now... :P

Is anyone making non-genuine parts yet? I found some on E-Bay, but they only suit ATX rears. I would much prefer a genuine one, but I don't particularly feel like spending $540 on a taillight :blink:

Any help would be much appreciated. :clap:

here you go mate,

this should do the trick

http://shop.ebay.com.au/?_from=R40&_tr...rion+tail+light

here you go mate,

this should do the trick

http://shop.ebay.com.au/?_from=R40&_tr...rion+tail+light

Probably helps to re-read the first post and then mine:

... I found some on E-Bay, but they only suit ATX rears.
... There is that one on eBay, but as you already noticed, it's for a non-Sportivo due to it's lighter shade of red.

If you get an opportunity, have a look at the tail lights on an AT-X/Presara, then look at the ones on a Sportivo. The Sportivo ones are a slightly darker shade of red. The headlights are also different in that the AT-X/Presara is a brighter shade of chrome.

MJG:

Mate where abouts in the country are you located? leave this one with me i may be able to help you out here. is it the LH or the RH out L.E.D lamp?

Matt.

MJG:

Mate where abouts in the country are you located? leave this one with me i may be able to help you out here. is it the LH or the RH out L.E.D lamp?

Matt.

Man, this is kinda funny:

Hi all.

Luckily,
the only thing that got damaged was the passenger side outer brake light
, so I thought I would duck down to Toyota and grab a new one. Upon them looking it up, the cost for the unit is
$540
! Ridiculous...

I'm located in Brisbane
, so I've called a few wreckers, but none seem to have anything. I would of thought a few Sportivo's would have been in collisions by now... :P

Is anyone making non-genuine parts yet? I found some on E-Bay, but they only suit ATX rears. I would much prefer a genuine one, but I don't particularly feel like spending $540 on a taillight
:blink:

Any help would be much appreciated.
:clap:

[i]HAHAHHA o sh!t what a d!ck my bad sorry guys clearly read that well hay...

ok so your in BRISBANE and its the LEFT hand side. i'll see what i can get it for at work and find out the freight cost of getting it up to you and see if that works out any better for you than the price your dealer gave you.

sorry again about my ignorance before.

I wonder if they'd notice if I swapped one off the work cars... :whistling:

Anything you can come up with would be excellent Adamsy. :D

Cheers for the assistance DJKOR. :yahoo:

Just one of those things I s'pose! I'll let you know of the outcome for future reference.

LOL yeah true good for laughs, felt like a bit of a dumb **** though :S .... thought i had even read that half decent too, guess not though whoops.

Your right however, there is only really the dealer option or the wreckers. i'll see what i can come up with just for sh!t giggles if it works great if not then we gave it a shot $540 is rough though hay...

As DJKOR pointed out that price of $540 is the list price the actual RRP is $$616.00!!!!, best i could probabley do for you is $$523.60 plus frieght up your way. I'd go back to your dealer and hound them for a better price they should be able to let one go for atleast $582 incl GST or if your really good maybe even $555.00 :P Give it a crack can't hurt.

• 2 weeks later...

In regards to this question, I ended up flashing cash and got it for $500 from the same dealer I bought the car from. May of helped I think. All in all, my car feels whole again... :yahoo:

... my wallet doesn't though :P

P.S Cheers Adamsy anyway!

Looks like this is the norm now.

Old man had to replace the L/H rear LED on his Mazda SP23.

$550.00 plus $28.00 labour to change......

My question is, his light just stopped working ( out of warranty ), is this rare for LED's as i hear they are pretty much meant to last a lot longer than normal lights.. Car is only 6 years old.

Wait, so for LEDs we have to change the whole unit if a light blows rather than just a bulb? That is a bit worrisome..

I know LEDs last a LOT longer and draw less power, but if we have to change the whole unit for 500 odd every time something blows it would still be more economical for a $3 globe wouldn't it?

Yes LED's are supposed to last longer, but this is when subjected to ideal conditions (perfect temperature, smooth current and voltage, etc). Unfortunately, in the car, it doesn't experience the best of all conditions and may have a tendency to fail prematurely.

The entire tail light is sealed. If you were game and wanted to change out just the busted LED's or driver board, you need to pull them apart the same way that you take your headlights apart.

At $500 for a replacement, I'd say its worth trying, whats the worst that come happen? break an already unusable light?

Yup. Just have to be careful so that you don't heat it up too hot so it doesn't damage the electronics inside.

I'd imagine the LED's in the Aurion tail lights lasting for the life of the car, but you can't really tell at this point in time.

Unfortunately for the OP though, replacing was his only option.

I actually tried separating the outer 'lense' from the light body by using the old 'oven trick'. Problem is, the sealant is actually under a 'lip', which makes it very hard to get at with a blade of any sort.

Stupid thing is though, the housing with the LED's inside IS a separate part. It's held to the rest of the housing by three screws, however as per above, you would need to somehow remove the lense to remove the LED body.

I'll have a further crack at it now I no longer need the old one, and see if I can manage it for future reference.