2005 Sportivo Gear Shift

Just curious as to whether any 2005 owners have had an trouble shifting in the

higher rev range?

I havent had any issues myself although the shifter does get a little tighter after 6k rpm. Im probably just a little worried as the previous model had some issues...

Anyway im loving the car atm an GO TEAM SILVER!!!

Jason

Well, after 800km in my '05 Sportivo, all I can report is a few times when changing 2nd->3rd I've slapped the shifter up into the bit BETWEEN 1st and 3rd. The 'return-to-centre' isn't as quick as my last cars so instead of just pushing up (and letting the shifter move itself inline for 3rd) i have to slow, move across, then up. (if u know what i mean)

Otherwise, all is well.

Well, after 800km in my '05 Sportivo, all I can report is a few times when changing 2nd->3rd I've slapped the shifter up into the bit BETWEEN 1st and 3rd. The 'return-to-centre' isn't as quick as my last cars so instead of just pushing up (and letting the shifter move itself inline for 3rd) i have to slow, move across, then up. (if u know what i mean)

Otherwise, all is well.

This gate issue is seen in the 03-04 stivo also.

It's more becuas ehte so called H pattern that they use on the toyotas is straight up and down as opposed to the older slanted style from the hondas

Ive had the car for less than a week. First couple of days i had trouble shifting from 1st to 2nd but that went away. Sometimes i have to force the shifter a little harder into 1st when downshifting, and also downshifting from 4th to 3rd it can get a bit sticky at odd occations. But it also could be just the way im driving and I need to get use to the car still.

Otherwise, all is well.

Yeah, i have experienced the same thing going from 2nd to 3rd on occassion. Other than that, the shifting between all other gears in high revs is quite smooth...

I agree with Zav though that changing into 1st can be a bit tricky even when the car is almost at a stop...

I drove a Lancer Coupe (3yrs) then a Rav4(2yrs) and now coming to the Sportivo I've put the 2nd->3rd shift prob down simply to different driving position and the 6speed 'box.

The gate 'closes behind you' in 1st when you travel over 15km/h (or thereabouts) so u don't rip the engine shifting down at too high a speed, and to avoid 'Compression Lockup' (engine braking that can cause loss of traction) which ABS can't prevent.

My Lancer 5speed wore in after a few months (at 800km/week) and I noticed the Rav4 was much more 'up-and-down' than the Lancer, which allowed a little diagonal movement when changing.

It seems to me that the Sportivo 'box is just a little more strict, or exact, in the vertical movement it will allow. It also feels to me like 5th is a lot further RIGHT that reverse is to the LEFT, which gives me the impression the shift pattern is biased toward the right, and even that the forward 6gears are 'bunched up' while reverse is a big, wide shift. (If u get what i mean)

Being that my elbow is much lower with respect to my wrist now in the corolla than it used to be in the RAV, I've been trying different grips on the shifter to make the 2nd->3rd shift smoother, especially during quick starts which is where I've been botching it so far.

The scenario I usually describe is turning from a slip lane, doing a head check and having to change into 2nd before I can turn my head to look forward again, then no sooner I've done that I'm at 80km and looking for 4th gear and a valium. It's usually here where a 2nd->3rd shift gets jammed and leaves me floundering at high revs groping for the middle slot and careful not to pull too far across and stab 5th.

I don't think it's a 'problem', or an 'issue', in a serious engineering sense... I see it as something to get used to like heavy and direct steering or the blind spot the front pillar makes which is different for everybody due to their different seating positions etc.

I drove a Lancer Coupe (3yrs) then a Rav4(2yrs) and now coming to the Sportivo I've put the 2nd->3rd shift prob down simply to different driving position and the 6speed 'box.

The gate 'closes behind you' in 1st when you travel over 15km/h (or thereabouts) so u don't rip the engine shifting down at too high a speed, and to avoid 'Compression Lockup' (engine braking that can cause loss of traction) which ABS can't prevent.

My Lancer 5speed wore in after a few months (at 800km/week) and I noticed the Rav4 was much more 'up-and-down' than the Lancer, which allowed a little diagonal movement when changing.

It seems to me that the Sportivo 'box is just a little more strict, or exact, in the vertical movement it will allow.  It also feels to me like 5th is a lot further RIGHT that reverse is to the LEFT, which gives me the impression the shift pattern is biased toward the right, and even that the forward 6gears are 'bunched up' while reverse is a big, wide shift. (If u get what i mean)

Being that my elbow is much lower with respect to my wrist now in the corolla than it used to be in the RAV, I've been trying different grips on the shifter to make the 2nd->3rd shift smoother, especially during quick starts which is where I've been botching it so far.

The scenario I usually describe is turning from a slip lane, doing a head check and having to change into 2nd before I can turn my head to look forward again, then no sooner I've done that I'm at 80km and looking for 4th gear and a valium. It's usually here where a 2nd->3rd shift gets jammed and leaves me floundering at high revs groping for the middle slot and careful not to pull too far across and stab 5th.

I don't think it's a 'problem', or an 'issue', in a serious engineering sense... I see it as something to get used to like heavy and direct steering or the blind spot the front pillar makes which is different for everybody due to their different seating positions etc.

i can get back into 1st at 5000rpm when i need to, no probs there.

2nd - 3rd upshift is strangely very tight at high revs, more so when the car is hot.

Edited by shaohaok

In my car ive only noticed that 1st to 2nd is a bit tighter, still quite smooth though. Im probably not quite used to the shift action as yet as im also upgrading from a Rav4 which was very different lol.

Day 7 of sportivo ownership, 760km on the odometer.

Driving home from work i noticed that grinding sound when decelerating is getting worse. Seems to be there when i engage and disengage the clutch (my clutch pedal is all the way to the floor so its not my driving). Gear changes are starting to get very sticky indeed and am using much more force to downshift into 2nd and 1st.

Looks like my clutch or trans has a problem

Driving home from work i noticed that grinding sound when decelerating is getting worse. Seems to be there when i engage and disengage the clutch (my clutch pedal is all the way to the floor so its not my driving). Gear changes are starting to get very sticky indeed and am using much more force to downshift into 2nd and 1st.

Looks like the same issue I'm having. I have brought it back numerous times to get them to fix this but still no good. They have done a "gearbox overhaul" (is what they tell me) so I'm not sure what it exactly means. They said they've changed synchros and gearbox oil etc. There is another member on this forum with the same problem which he has taken back numerous times too and still could not be fixed. Take it back to Toyota and see what they say. Hope you have better luck than us. If u do get it fixed please let us know so we can take it back and tell them what to do. :D

Driving home from work i noticed that grinding sound when decelerating is getting worse.  Seems to be there when i engage and disengage the clutch (my clutch pedal is all the way to the floor so its not my driving).  Gear changes are starting to get very sticky indeed and am using much more force to downshift into 2nd and 1st.

I really don't think you've got anything to worry about. Baby it for the next couple days until you make the 'complimentary' 1000km service. Slow down your action when shifting up and give the engine a little extra 'blip' on the accellerator when down shifting; even tho it's syncho-ed it'll make the shift easier. Be gentle so not to damage the teeth on the cogs. I had this problem appear in both my Lancer and RAV4 (intermittently and not to your extent) but it was soon fixed (at the 40,000km service each time).

I'm fairly sure (without being there) that it's just a clutch adjustment that's needed. All cables and hoses stretch/soften a little, especially when new, and everything gets adjusted at the 1st service (this is why it's FREE). I think the 1000km point is not a particularly special mark, it's more about giving the new owner (on average) a fortnight to get used to the car, and bed-in the clutch, brakes, cables and hoses etc.

On that point, I've purchase 3new cars in the past 5years and (when asked) the service advisors all backed up what I've read (and been recommended by others) that a few quick starts and some firm braking is needed by new clutches and brakes. Something about the composition of the surfaces from the way it's manufactured. I've heard it called 'scuffing' or 'de-glazing'.

A few caveats they made a point of making sure I understood:

: don't do it in the first 100km, you don't want to stress the fresh engine too much. Some heating and cooling of the engine over the first few drives helps settle the seals and hose clamps around the engine.

: 'quick starts' do not mean DRAG starts, just 'zippy' ones - don't go slipping the clutch or savagely dropping it. Go for the quick and controlled starts that would have a female passenger say 'Wow, you've got a fast car' rather than the drag strip starts that would have them scared by your driving. (if u know what i mean)

: 'firm braking' doesn't mean engaging ABS, nor getting 'close' to loss of traction. Just think of those times when you're braking at an Amber light that you've decided not to run through (cos it's too close to Red) and you get that gentle whiplash at the end where u get flicked back into your seat.

Keep us posted on how it pans out. I hope it's the simple fix mentioned.

This topic has also been covered before in GREEEEEAAAAAAT Length. The 03, 04 models also have same problem, to do with the clutch. I still have the stock clutch hence the same problem as i started with when i purchased the car last Feb. I have clocked 25,000kms now and it seems to be getting slightly better. The "sticking" of gearshift is not my main concern although it is when i try to drag someone but its the crunching of gears that got me oh so worried. On occassions with clutch fully depressed and shifting normally the gear box crunches and refuses to go into gear. I am just worried the cog teeth will break which means a gearbox overhaul - weeks without the car.

So to whoever said Toyota did a gearbox overhaul report them to their Manager. I had a MY97 WRX gearbox o'hauled before when i broke 2nd gear. Took 3 weeks and set me back $1500. I have to point out though that the car was never abused, had over 130,000kms on the gearbox and it produces over 200kw @ flywheel. I did do a dozen or more 5500rpm launches when racing people, and i don't classify that as abuse :P

Z

Edited by ZEEROLLA

This topic has also been covered before in GREEEEEAAAAAAT Length. The 03, 04 models also have same problem, to do with the clutch. I still have the stock clutch hence the same problem as i started with when i purchased the car last Feb. I have clocked 25,000kms now and it seems to be getting slightly better. The "sticking" of gearshift is not my main concern although it is when i try to drag someone but its the crunching of gears that got me oh so worried. On occassions with clutch fully depressed and shifting normally the gear box crunches and refuses to go into gear. I am just worried the cog teeth will break which means a gearbox overhaul - weeks without the car.

So to whoever said Toyota did a gearbox overhaul report them to their Manager. I had a MY97 WRX gearbox o'hauled before when i broke 2nd gear. Took 3 weeks and set me back $1500.

This is not about gears crunching or sticky gears. My shifts have been sorted out and is shifting smoothly. It's about a grinding noise when decelerating or engine braking. Basically gearing down it would make a scraping or grinding noise. It's a different matter all together.

And I'm sick of people saying "THIS HAS BEEN COVERED BEFORE". Nobody here runs this forum except the moderators. Some people here on this forum is being a bit of a tight ***** by saying such things as this and making people feel stupid. If I was a newbie I would be offended by some of the comments made by some members. Sounds like you guys think u are better than the rest on this forum and being Nazis about it. I am not a newbie here and seen all the topics that has been posted since joining. As u can see I am member number 6 to this forum. if I feel I wanna post something up that has been coverred before then I should feel free to do so. Maybe we want comments or advise from other new members or some issues are not exactly the same, so naturally we would post another topic coverring similar issues. All I'm asking is to let little things like this go and don't be so uptight. Make new members feel welcome and allow them to post whatever they feel. Just relax man! B)

I agree with you BlackRolla, even a topic has been covered 10 times already. We still can review it, there maybe something "NEW" to you in there. None of us know everything. So, fellows, please open your mind and accept every single topic.

If you don't feel like the topic, just skip it. If you wanna add a word, please be "constructive". Please don't just give -ve reply and scare the newbie away.

We are all here to "SHARE", if you think you have enough, just step aside for a while and let those who needs or wants to share to do their sharing.

Let's keep our forum stays cool ~ :)

You are so right BlackRolla, well I don't feel stupid, I just think the person who keeps on repeating that line is stupid. I have to say I did get very offended and did feel very unwelcome here, luckily I've been lurking here for a while (before I got my Rolla) and I know that not everyone here is a ***** and there are lots of nice people here, or else from my experience on the first day I post, I would have left stright away. I am here to learn and share experiences, not to get told what to do and get insulted

I have noticed that its not a smooth transition into Ist gear (04 stivo) even when nearly stopped. It's interesting that a number of drivers with 04/05 stivos report this as a "car characteristic".....

Also I am interested in the fact that people are able to change into 1st from 5000 rpms. To be honest I doubt my gearbox would be able to.

Edited by sporthatch141

I have noticed that its not a smooth transition into Ist gear (04 stivo) even when nearly stopped. It's interesting that a number of drivers with 04/05 stivos report this as a "car characteristic".....

Also I am interested in the fact that people are able to change into 1st from 5000 rpms.  To be honest I doubt my gearbox would be able to.

i doubt mine would shift into 1st from 5000rpm and survive. but wat it can do is shift back into 1st at 40km/h which is around about 5000rpm and a bit.

the harder u force it into 1st the harder the synchros resist. just push it in and then ease off as u feel it stiffen up, and it will go in. ask anyone who's been in the car when i've done it, it's almost effortless if u heel-toe it.

yep i too am having problems getting from 1st - 2nd at high rpm's, usually its when i'm in lift the gearbox will just not go into 2nd and i either have to neutral clutch in clutch out or just wait a little bit and it will eventually just get into gear.

going to talk to toyota about it tomorrow, has anybody actually had any sucess in toyota fixing this problem ?

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone had any updates with the gear change problems on their new 05 Sportivos ?

I too am experiencing this problem but it does not occur on every gear change.

For me the most difficult gear change which dosent always sync in with ease is from 2nd to 3rd. Im not sure weather its because I am still getting use to the Toyota 'H' style 6 gear shift or if I need to release the clutch at a different friction point or what.

If I happen to give the lil beast a bit of up and go I dont want to have a slow and sluggish 2nd-3rd gear change!

Ive got my 1,000km service coming up so I might mention it to my Toyota dealer yet deep down I dont think this is an issue. I honestly think its the way you drive it.

Sorry guys I didnt think I was posting a repeated topic as I was only really checking with the facelift 2005 owners.

I couldnt really find any info on the 05 stivos gear shift posted as yet. My apologies if I missed something.

Cheers

Jason

today i was having trouble getting it into 4th and 5th as well :( i would be in 5th going down a hill go to put it in 4th to compression brake and it wouldn't go in, so i would attempt to put it back into 5th and it wouldn't go in either.

i had to clutch in clutch out to get it into gear

oh well cars booked in on monday