Replaced at 201,000km

4AGE Bigport 7 RIB TVIS (dead stock)

Purchase Price

$2,000 no RWC no REG

Vehicle itself

Dead stock :) exactly what i wanted to find apart from

• Key central locking
  • kill switch - hidden :)
  • JVC CD / MP3 player, 6 inch fronts and 6x9 rear (so dont have to hassle doing that)

Vehicle History

I have basically every single document relating to the vehicle for its entire life.

• Spent last night sifting through everything that i got with car and it is all in a folder now split into:
  • Log Book = 1987 - 1993
  • 1991 - 1993 grouped together, then specific section for every year after that within folder, cant wait to spend more time reading every little detail of what has been done
  • I am the 4-5th owner, i need to sift the papers better to be sure, from what i have seen last 2-3 owners were female (thus not thrashed) new motor went in 2001, $1250 fitted have reciept etc

Vehicle Condition:

For its age i would say its in very good original condition, paint is fairly good, no actual dints and it drives well.

Things that need fixing

• Slight rust very minor top of windscreen and front left 1/4 panel behind mud guard
  • a few tiny scratches here and there just need a touch up pen
  • front bumper at front left is pusehd back around 1cm on left hand side, remove an straighten mounts and put back on
  • Color coding items back to orig condition - i.e. rear spoiler is white and door handles are white i think are supposed to be black
  • Temperature runs very cold when running when sitting it kicks up to norm, new thermostat as Andy (BKS) mentioned 4AGE like to run warm so will do this very soon.
  • A/C - hasnt worked for 6 years and last owners didnt worry, seeing it will be a daily its my priority after RWC done (booked in today)

What was recently done to car

• Reco Dizzy
  • Reco CV's
  • Timing Chain
  • Service
  • Both Cam Seals and various others (dont have details with me at moment)
  • springs on inner door handles replaced
  • new rear muffler
  • a few other things ill update you on

What i plan to do

• Change all fluids, Engine oil and filter (Penrite HPR 30) - Brakes (Castrol Dot 4 Super) Gearbox oil Nulon 75w90 API GL-5 semi-synthetic
  • Thermostat and gasket - new coolant etc
  • A/C fix
  • Rip out seats and shampoo interior - seats in great condition, had covers on for last 6 years no tears in drivers side, passenger i havent removed cover yet
  • full clean of car in and out
  • fix tiny rust spots
  • re align bumper
  • re color code aspects
  • King Lows Purchased Installed
  • SuperPro bushes kit
  • Whiteline Fully Adjustable rear sway from wreckers $19.80 Purchased Installed
  • New 185/60/14 tread
  • clean up rims
  • Get seats looked over / pull apart and reboulster with help from uncle who is a motor trimmer - 45 + years experience, brilliant work
  • RDA slotted rotors and some pads and good fluid Ordered Installed
  • Fit K&N panel Filter
  • Genie extractors, 2.25" /2" resonator exhaust / muffler $58.00 Purchased Installed
  • Purchase Emanage Blue, Install Emanage Blue
  • Power Punch 000 (fire supressor) Installed
  • Aber Fog Lights Installed
  • Alternator Replaced complete
  • Oil Leak Fixed complete
  • Sports Seat Purchased Installed
  • SSV Skirts Purchased Fixed Installed
  • Ghetto side of road front lip found Fitted
  • 15X6.5 +38 10 spoke wheels ($320) Purchasedpainted Fitted
  • 4 X Dunlop Fast Response 195/50/15 ($500 incl 4 wheel alignment) Purchased Fitted

What i love so far

• Drives and handles brilliant for its age and even compared to current cars
  • engine pulls better / gear ratio than sportivo for up hill 5th gear etc
  • love the dash colors - 3 colors FTW
  • love the steering wheel and gear knob - steering wheel perfect condition
  • great little air vents which shoot straight onto drivers hands with warm air when at 10 & 2 ...awesome
  • fair comfy stock seats with lumbar support

will update soon

a few happy snaps for you this morning at work, getting road worthy this arvo in south melbourne.

Current Pic (12th Dec 2010)

lowered12thdec2010.jpg

When Purchased

post-3050-1255638946_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1255638958_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1255638966_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1255638990_thumb.jpg

Edited by jaderd

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

nice clean old example

reminds me why i keep the sportivo close to stock

whitestivo

yeah i thought that once but i dont think the sportivo will be as classic )(or as much of a)......might sound a bit bad but to me after only driving the AE82 twice now i dont feel they made that many improvements at all in the 20 + years lol, the power to weight in the AE82 twin cam feels great, engine is smooth, most of all its got the nice IRS and from seeing and reading other ppls posts spend up to 1k on sussy with springs/shocks/rearsway/bushed kit and it handles like on rails dog legging around every corner if you push it......

torque etc feels equiv in the AE82 to the sportivo and going up hills in 5th seems more effortless in the AE82 than the sportivo....prob due to gear ratios or something but just feels easier to drive as an everyday than the sportivo and there is just something about that old boxy shape and eclectic interior that appeals to me.

i went from 4AFE to 2ZZGE and now to 4AGE and even though only early i feel the 4AGE ticks the boxes better across the board ie, daily driving, power, torque (all car weight affected etc) and the powers there nice and linear you dont get the kick like sportivo (which i love.....) although not that sad that im losing it.

hehe, whats with all the sportivo owners selling up and going old school... very nice 82 btw :)

• i guess when andy went old school it made me think a bit about it...older cars can play with them more, not as expensive still heaps fun and dependent on car a bit of a classic.
  • Fiance might be getting new job and company car so sell hers, if that happens then we can both repay heaps and get well ahead on house payments while interest rate low.
  • can pay off my hecs instead of a car
  • can save for wedding and honeymoon
  • another big factor i was getting a little bored with sportivo as it was where i wanted and couldn't justify paying for tune / turbo upgrade etc
  • save for next car...at moment thinking Subaru Forsester MY10 with MRT kit C added to it....nice 200kw @ wheels :)

think thats most of the reasons

bonus.....clear car debt and have enough money to buy AE82 and afew k to spend on it :).....once i sell sportivo that is..........;)

Edited by jaderd

Nice car - I regret selling mine but needed something a little safer. I drove one for ten years or so and then sold it to an apprentice toyota mechanic for a bargain price of $2600. At the time it had 170K on it, but that was back in 2003.

Things to watch out for was rust around the front and rear windscreen, fuel lid, rear wheel arches. Other than that, the car was reliable, engine was bullet proof, an absolute joy to drive as it only weighed in around 900 kilograms.

yeah i have very minor surface rust top middle of front windscreen - easy DIY fix.

minor rust that has hardly come through front 1/4 panel on left behind mud flap...will pre emptively attack that i think.

filler cap is zero rust etc checked that today as i pumped 40$ worth of BP ultimate into its belly...cheap to fill

yeh they are a great car i should get mine registered in the following week but yeh great car cheap to fill engines strong just one thing that is annoying is the bottom of the seats give way.

No Prob at all...any upholstery was no issue as uncle is a motor trimmer with 45+ years experience and specializes in exotics so is real good with his work

Hi all

extremely busy today. Went to pick pay n go wreckers and ripped every thing i wanted off the ae82 twin cam which they have in the locked away yard out the back guy was great and gave me key to it where i had to lock myself in the yard and not let anyone else in lol, only thing i wanted but could not get was the black door handles, could not open doors enough as car wedged in so was too tricky etc.

What i got

• Rear Tail lights including loom and globes
  • Front indicator / parkers incl loom and globes
  • front bumper indicator lenses
  • rear bumper number plate light
  • rear spoiler - BLACK :)
  • Steering wheel centre
  • Set of Genie Extractors
  • K&N Panel Filter

Such a bonus scoring the extractors and K&N filter....very Happy

Grand Total = $126 - Pick Pay n Go FTW!!! :yahoo:

post-3050-1255779975_thumb.jpg

After that i figured i better get a thermostat / gasket and o ring and also gaskets for extractors

Went to Autobarn and came home with all this.......easier to show pic than list everything - including the shelf :)

Grand Total = $311

post-3050-1255779906_thumb.jpg

Once home i started doing everything.

First of all i did the rear end so replaced the rear spoiler, number plate light, removed all stickers off window and added the rear tail lights, looks mint now.

old tail lights one was cracked and siliconed and other had water in it.

post-3050-1255780452_thumb.jpg

Rear before anything done

post-3050-1255780495_thumb.jpg

Rear Complete

post-3050-1255780549_thumb.jpg

Then i did the front indicators / parkers and also the bottom lenses, bottom lenses both had cracks and left parker had cracks so needed new ones for roadworthy

post-3050-1255780875_thumb.jpg

Engine as it is, Reco Dizzy and Timing belt just changed :)

post-3050-1255781061_thumb.jpg

Then i rubbed back the headers with steel brushes...tedious and hard lol....wish i had bought a bit for my drill today but forgot so did it old fashioned elbow grease way. Three coats the VHT paint in OEM mild steel look, then i ripped out both seats and swapped over the bases as the passenger base is alot firmer and more bolstered, this way still get all the rear lumbar of drivers seat and now a nice solid base.

post-3050-1255781807_thumb.jpg

Drivers seat stock Left, Drivers seat with passenger base right

post-3050-1255781978_thumb.jpg

here is afew more pics....rim, shelf together all loaded :)

post-3050-1255782093_thumb.jpg

post-3050-1255782155_thumb.jpg

K&N Panel filter is all clean and drying overnight awaiting install tomorrow and will also install the headers tomoz and also the thermostat.

Have to break in the header paint by idling 10, then off, then 20, then off, then drive for 30 min.

Have got coolant and everything ready for it all tomoz

Also get to catch up with Andy (BlilndKidSeeks), he is going to do some work on his wagon

catch until tomorrow

post-3050-1255782126_thumb.jpg

Edited by jaderd

Today will be

- Remove and paint new muffler black / reinstall

- install headers

- Install K&N panel filter

- Install thermostat / new coolant etc

- fix (as good as possible as no windscreen removal etc) slight rust above windscreen and maybe pre emptively do the bit at front left 1/4 panel.....or do that another time

- Put spare tyre on front left so pass roadworthy, as front left was only one that is a fail, others are just legal, will do for now.

- Maybe use the meguiars swirl on the side strips to bring them back to white if i have the time

Also i noticed that my rolla has two thermo fans at the front, one the obviously sucks and one that blows as one before and one after radiator, the one at the wreckers only had one fan. What is the norm from factory ? is it dependent on year of vehicle ?

P1020798.jpg

P1020799.jpg

meguiars.jpg

Edited by jaderd

Also i noticed that my rolla has two thermo fans at the front, one the obviously sucks and one that blows as one before and one after radiator, the one at the wreckers only had one fan. What is the norm from factory ? is it dependent on year of vehicle ?

Aircon. Power steering and air-con were both options on Twincams, so chances are you saw one without aircon at the wreckers.

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

Check behind that panel with the rust on it. If I recall, twigs, leaves and dirt channel from the openings near the bonnet hinges and get caught behind that area. It needs to get cleared out every so often.

One of the things that a mechanic from a performance workshop recommended to me was to get a can of carburettor cleaner and spray it liberally into the throttle body to clear out all the crap. If your idle isn't stable, this might be something worthwhile doing.

The genie extractors are quite good, I had a set, and I could feel a difference in torque even when running with a stock exhaust.

Edited by Kevsta