Gen.II Kluger recall

57fritz

Just received a notice from Toyota today advising that early model Generation 2 Klugers built (no build date specified) sometimes develop a crack in an engine oil supply pipe on the left hand cylinder bank. It causes oil pressure drop and reading between the lines, a possible engine failure. The fix is free of charge. My car is 2007 build so if your own is of a similar age, be prepared for a letter. At least they are being proactive unlike other manufacturers. B)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just received a notice from Toyota today advising that early model Generation 2 Klugers built (no build date specified) sometimes develop a crack in an engine oil supply pipe on the left hand cylinder bank. It causes oil pressure drop and reading between the lines, a possible engine failure. The fix is free of charge. My car is 2007 build so if your own is of a similar age, be prepared for a letter. At least they are being proactive unlike other manufacturers. B)

Thanks for the head up. It sounds like something that will show symptom, like oil in the buttom (diffuser) of the car. Something that does not need to rush into the dealership. Can go within a month or so when the car is due for service. I think the car is at 44000km... hmm... may book in after Xmas, more chance to get a spot then.

I have been expecting this as I remember someone posting up details of the recall in the States I think?

There was even a link to a DIY for changing the suspect oil pipe, but it didn't look easy!

EDIT: link here http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...showtopic=24680

Toyota has known about this issue with the 2GR-FE engine used in the Gen 2 Kluger, Aurion, Rav 4 and Camry for several years. Kluger models past a certain build date around early/mid 2008 all have a steel oil line. Toyota have been far from proactive.

There is a very detailed discussion on the issue at http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=316167

I haven't received the letter yet and may not due to buying out my Novated lease on the beast two days ago. So the letter may have gone to the the previous fleet mgrs.

So Thanks to 57fritz for the heads up.

Booked my Gen 2 Aug 07 build in today for next Wednesday. Was told the parts need to be ordered and initially there are limited allocated parts within the Toyota system at the moment to capture the first round of customers.

Also they were perferring to capture clients in there next service, which is fair enough.

My 40,000 k service was done two weeks prior to the recall.

Edit: 12.44 Letter in today's mail

Edited by fish475

WARNING!

Just had mine done, and it was replaced with dodgy rubber crap!

I went off my brain to the manager of the Toyota dealership and told him this penny pinching exercise of Toyota is nothing short of a joke and I would NEVER buy another car from them or this company if they think that they can get away with a shoddy "upgrade with better spec rubber" solution. When every new properly fixed from factory new engine has a solid pipe as I showed them in their own dealership!!!

Manager promised me that he would resolve the issue to make me happy.

I hope everyone kicks up as much of a stink as I did highlighting the obvious logic flaw in this cheap money saving exercise Toyota Motor corporation has decided to embark on.

RR,

Could you post a picture showing what we are looking for. I've got a rough idea, but a picture may help us all to ensure we get the metal pipe.

Thanks,

Garry

Taken from another thread this is what SHOULD be replaced ($45 worth instead of $0.50 worth of rubber and spring clamps).

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...showtopic=22775 Full thread on proper rectification of problem just as they are done on all new vehicles fitted with this motor!

If you wanted to be safe like I am, you can purchase the replacement pipe plus gaskets for around $45 and either change this yourself, or get Toyota or another mechanic to change it for you at cost.

The part numbers are:

Pipe Oil No. 2 - 15772-31030

Gasket - 90430-16012

Gasket - 90430-16016

Gasket - 90430-16017

Rubber original two part assembly feeding back half of motor as on our Kluger fitment

DSC04257.jpg

Solid part as fitted to ALL new Klugers! Just show your dealer if he is dumb

DSC04259.jpg

New proper part fitted (notice no dodgy rubber!) which Toyota them selves have abandoned!@

DSC04260.jpg

Do not put up with this dodgy solution put forward by Toyota Australia! Make sure you go straight to the TOP! at the Dealer you bough your car and refer to this thread if you want :) I wont put up with this crap and neither should you as a paying customer. Like I said defies any logic except one of saving money for Toyota at YOUR EXPENSE!

Edited by RICE RACING

Here is the proper fix on the Avalon!

I just wanted to alert everyone here about a possible design defect in the 2GR-FE V-6 engine. There have been many reports about an oil line leaking/rupturing causing catastrophic loss of oil in Avalons, Camrys, and RAV4's with the V-6. Here is some information I've cobbled up from several forums:

There is a TSB out for the newer Avalons concerning a small pinhole leak from the rear bank VVTI oil feed hose which can grow into a larger leak, and in some cases, cause catastrophic failure due to lack of oil in the system.

The problem is that Toyota has ONLY issued a TSB for the Avalon, even though this EXACT same condition can (and has) happened on ALL Toyota vehicles using the 2GR engine. This is causing a MAJOR headache for dealerships (especially the people that handle the paperwork), along with the customers that go through this problem.

Try calling a Toyota dealer and ask for the parts department. Ask the guy for Part 15772-31030 "Pipe Sub-AS". When they tell you its on national backorder ask them why. From what I can tell the V6 engine, a 2GR-FE is also used in the Avalon, Sienna, RAV4, Lexus ES and RX 350 models, Highlander and Previa.

The part # 15707-31030 is the one with the rubber connection.

The replacement part that was installed in all of the RAV4s Limited V6s on 04/2008 and later is metal and the part number is 15772-31030.

Here is the Avalon TSB:

engineoildrip1kb8.jpg

engineoildrip2sy1.jpg

Why we get inferior service with the Kluger which we paid over 60 grand for is totally beyond me!!!

E-Mail follow up I sent my Dealer ;)

Hello,

I am the owner of the blue Toyota Kluger who today talked to one of your managers about the shoddy fix Toyota have implemented on the Toyota Kluger.

Here is a link for your company to read why I as a customer today was VERY ANNOYED.

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/inde...mp;#entry364663

I have gone out of my way to show how the repair should be properly done and what parts and service recall bulletins Toyota themselves used on the Avalon.

For me owning a Kluger which I paid lots for to have it fixed a shoddy cheap way to save Toyota Motor Corp and Toyota Australia is not acceptable.

I trust you will rectify this situation as soon as possible at least in my case. As I showed your service manager today all of your new Toyota Klugers are fitted with a solid pipe (just as per the proper fix on the Avalon). I expect the same to be done on my car which only just missed out on getting the proper factory fix by a couple on months.

Best Regards.

Peter

As I said, Toyota are been far from proactive. Is it time to call ACA or TT?

Bypass your service manager is all advise I can give you, they are programmed to feed you bs, go straight to the top and make plenty of noise. Do not be ashamed or feel awkward about doing the same as I have. If the Dealer is worth his weight in dog sh7t then he will swallow the $40 worth of proper parts and extra hour of labor for the 50 or 60 grand they skinned off you when you bought your car.

There is no excuse to implement a shoddy dodgy fix like this on a quality car like the Kluger.

Tight economic times means they try every trick in the book to cut costs, but when it so blatantly dodgy a fix like this you have to question WTF the Toyota brand is coming too! especially given back in the fix for a POS Avalon they went out and did it properly just like on the new car you buy.

That is my say for the day, I hope it helps people in their battles too.

Peter

Here is the Avalon TSB:

engineoildrip1kb8.jpg

engineoildrip2sy1.jpg

Toyota got a little sneaky in the process. See that Avalon TSB from the States is a little old. They then released a new TSB which now states only to change the rubber hose. Just a heads up on their latest 'update'.

T-CP-90K-0001-W.pdf (4.52MB)

Yes bastards !

Its pretty clear cut to me, the new cars are not fitted with garbage like we have. It's a pure penny pinching exercise nothing more or less. Really did not expect that from a company like Toyota, and it is so f7cking blatant! IMHO why change on all new cars to superior one piece item :rolleyes:

Makes me sick, wtf uses a rubber hose on a critical oil feed line anyway! that is just flat out dodgy! then to not go all out with the proper fix for all the poor customers who bought cars earlier but in the same breath to sell cars with a proper oiling system is plain slap in the face to all of us :angry:

FFS I don't even think Holden would be this shonky! :rolleyes:

Bypass your service manager is all advise I can give you, they are programmed to feed you bs, go straight to the top and make plenty of noise. Do not be ashamed or feel awkward about doing the same as I have. If the Dealer is worth his weight in dog sh7t then he will swallow the $40 worth of proper parts and extra hour of labor for the 50 or 60 grand they skinned off you when you bought your car.

There is no excuse to implement a shoddy dodgy fix like this on a quality car like the Kluger.

Tight economic times means they try every trick in the book to cut costs, but when it so blatantly dodgy a fix like this you have to question WTF the Toyota brand is coming too! especially given back in the fix for a POS Avalon they went out and did it properly just like on the new car you buy.

Peter

Also a good time to quote the Trade Practices Act and "Fit for purpose" requirements.

Got the letter and booked yesterday. Been told the part is on order. Called today after reading and asked for a metal pipe - was promissed to get the right one to be confirmed on Monday (wah parts are open again). Will follow up on Monday. Less then unimpressed.

I think thread title needs a tweak or two :P

WARNING!!! dodgy Toyota penny pinching scam alert or something like that lol c7nts

Peter

Also a good time to quote the Trade Practices Act and "Fit for purpose" requirements.

Absolutely, IMHO any argument they have is destroyed by popping the bonnet on any new car fitted with this motor :rolleyes:

I am still so angry about this, being a realist I suppose this is what happens when you put accountants in preference to engineers and customer satisfaction on the bottom of your priority list as a company.

Simple maths like I told my dealer today multiply however many millions of cars by $40 V's 50 cents and there goes your CEO and chief executives new boat or overseas holiday plans. Best thing we can ALL do is arc up and give it to these kents! and tell as many people as you possibly can if you get screwed around with the cheap fob off options Toyota are hoping you will settle with.

Get on it people and feel free to e-mail this thread to your Dealers E-Mail. The more of us who express our rage for Toyota to see the more it will benefit people who are not as resourceful as us and the same poor ones who will have to pay for a premature engine rebuild long after Toyota and your dealer have wiped their hands clear of you and their sh7t product they made originally once the token warranty on rubber oil feed hoses has expired LOL :angry: .

Had mine done 3 days ago, got the letter yesterday.

Did they replace it with a steel pipe?

Good point, haven't checked, will look tomorrow though. The part no on the invoice says 04009833131. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, I should have thought to check, last time dealer told me they did the air filter I found it full of bugs, dirt etc, obviously the cover hadn't even been removed. Toyota service.....NOT!!!!.

Email to Toyota Australia customer service. Think others need to make some noise about this as well!!!

http://www.toyota.com.au/email-toyota

Dear Sir/Madam,

I today received a recall notice for my 2007 Toyota Kluger. This recall is in relation to a possibly defective engine oil pipe (and effects other models using the 3.5 engine). Apparently the rubber pipe can crack causing severe engine oil loss and engine damage.

I am about to book my car in for this to be looked at. My concern relates to many reports that are now appearing on the internet and in the media that this pipe is being replaced with a cheap rubber version, and not a metal pipe as fitted to newer model Klugers etc?

Is this true? Surely this cannot be correct from Australias number one vehicle seller. Would reputation be risked for the sake of a few dollars?

If so I find this treatment of early buyers, and the penny pinching involved almost unbelievable from a company I have held in such high regard for many years. Surely if it is deemed appropriate to fit a metal pipe to newer models, then a cheap rubber replacement for earlier buyers is highly questionable? Will Toyota look after buyers years down the track if this rubber replacement pipe also fails?

I look forward to your response, and reassurance that these disturbing reports are false.

Regards