Gen.II Kluger recall

57fritz

My handful of tests are nothing compared to how some clowns drive their cars

A potential car buyer is not going to necessarily look at it in the same way remember.

True, I cannot help people stupidity :D

My reputation speaks for itself as does my cars top shelf condition any way you care to measure it from brake wear to fuel consumption, engine compression (all things I can provide any buyer) but again if people are stupid its not my problem :P

I love my car I treat it with more respect than the majority and thus I want it repaired properly as anyone of us who is of the same ilk would do :D

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I got the parts for free, and when I can be bothered I will swap out the defective part and its fix myself. My dealers reply below (nice bloke, least he followed through and I appreciate his effort to keep me happy).

Peter

We have got a response from Toyota National Technical on your concern(see below edited version in italics) Unfortunatley they are standing by their view that the new replacement hose is made from a more superior component, and will rectify the problem causing the recall.

We have sourced a replacement pipe and gaskets, which we are happy to supply to you free of charge. Peter, whilst I can appreciate your point of view, I don't know there is anything more we can do for you.

Response:

TMCA are not able to support the installation of the metal pipe if you choose to do so it is your decision, warranty is only effected as a result of any modification causing an issue.

Toyota Australia cannot comment on the various issues occurring in the US, the 2 GR engine was fitted to US model vehicles well before the engine was introduced to Australia.

Toyota in Australia identified an issue with the VVTi oil line as fitted to 2 GR engines.

The cause of the matter was identified as an incorrect material selection for the rubber hose used for the Left Hand VVTi actuator

As a result of contaminants from the combustion process that are contained within the oil, this could affect the long term durability of the hose

Toyota Australia has undertaken a Customer Service Exercise in Australia as a preventative measure to ensure that owners do not experience this sort of failure.

We have written to all owners of vehicles fitted with the 2 GR engine and we will replace the affected hose with a revised hose material that will not be affected by these contaminants.

Whilst the production countermeasure does involve the fitting of an all metal pipe, the fitting of this pipe was considered unnecessarily intrusive requiring substantial disassembly of an owners vehicle with significant off road time and associated inconvenience that this would cause owners.

Toyota always considers the impacts of field actions and aims to minimise inconvenience to our owners.

The rectification that has been conducted has been thoroughly tested to Toyota's original equipment standards which have resulted in Toyota's reputation for quality, durability and reliability being unsurpassed.

Well, lets see...

Drive Shart knocks

Air Cond smell

Fuel sulphur smell

Oil line failure

Transfer case oil problem (see toyotanation)

Loose handbrake

Dashboard rattles

Various other rattles

Exaust pipe problem (US)

Sticky accelerator pedal (US)

... something I forgot?

Really, "reputation for quality, durability and reliability being unsurpassed"

The rectification that has been conducted has been thoroughly tested to Toyota's original equipment standards which have resulted in Toyota's reputation for quality, durability and reliability being unsurpassed.

Well, lets see...

Drive Shart knocks

Air Cond smell

Fuel sulphur smell

Oil line failure

Loose handbrake

Dashboard rattles

Various other rattles

Exaust pipe problem (US)

... something I forgot?

Really, "reputation for quality, durability and reliability being unsurpassed"

yeah, forgot the split armrest problem

RR,

So they gave you the metal pipe but not installed?

They gave me the same excuse, cannot sell you the pipe at all!

Looks like I will have do with the rubber replacement on Sat.

Yeah, the pipe is there for me to collect along with the gaskets, I just could not be stuffed as I have been enjoying my Mazda and trying to forget the rage my Toyota ownership has given me the last few weeks. I will try to go in there next week and pick it up.

Gay that I have to install it myself, but least I don't have to pay for the right pipe I suppose.

PC XT unless you really kick up a stink they will not give it to you. They won't even let you buy it.

I have connections! I actually saw a rubber one getting changed today, its a return line so its impossible doesn't have the same pressure in it as the front all metal one.

Any way there are worse things in life to worry about

Edited by PC XT

• 2 weeks later...

Had mine replaced yesterday. The workshop manager was pretty honest and said cost was the primary reason why Toyota were not replacing it with the all metal line. He did say tha Toyota had taken the issue seriously as they did not want to have to do a second recall if the fix failed.

PC XT unless you really kick up a stink they will not give it to you. They won't even let you buy it.

I have connections! I actually saw a rubber one getting changed today, its a return line so its impossible doesn't have the same pressure in it as the front all metal one.

Any way there are worse things in life to worry about

I think that you will find it is actually an oil feed line same as the front all metal line and is NOT an oil return line.

• 1 month later...
Well, lets see...

Drive Shart knocks

Air Cond smell

Fuel sulphur smell

Oil line failure

Loose handbrake

Dashboard rattles

Various other rattles

Exaust pipe problem (US)

... something I forgot?

So are these cars actually any good? That's a pretty huge list. I was considering buying one before i saw this....

Don't let the list turn you off. Personally I have not experienced ANY of those issues and most of them are quite minor.

If you buy new, then any legitimate issues will be resolved under warranty. You will note from reading some of the other threads here that Toyota have gone to great length to resolve some of these "issues" for owners.

A lot of the issues were rectified in later builds so if you're getting a new one most of the problems have been resolved. Despite some of the issues I'm happy with my choice.

A lot of the issues were rectified in later builds so if you're getting a new one most of the problems have been resolved. Despite some of the issues I'm happy with my choice.

The only reason for going with a Toyota seems to be diminishing with more recalls coming.. My heart sank for one moment when I first read abt the latest pedal fiasco that involves the Highlander in the US.. and got some relief after knowing only 2010-built US models are affected.

And now there're news the prius brakes are being investigated.

I bought a Toyota for none other than its reputation for reliability.. Keeping my fingers crossed that my 2008 Japan-built Kluger is "OK" for the next 4-5 yrs.

Edited by boleh

With any brand, your bound to have problems. At least i say toyota are proactive to get things fixed, unlike ford for example who have customers front ends on early territories falling apart!

I had a ford which blew a gearbox and diff(twice for diff), holden had a lose bolt which means the tailsharf was wabbling for a while until they realised that this caused damage to the gearbox.

Im happy it hasnt broken down, although at the 40k service, i will ask about the oil thing and ensure i get the best.

The difference is Toyota's recent stuff-up could get people killed as it had here

A very unfortunate event indeed. Provided the brakes aren't brake-by-wire, pushing down the brake pedal with both feet as hard as you can should be sufficient to stop the car, even if it can't be put into neutral.

• 1 month later...

We should of all bought Skoda's it would have been cheaper!

Toyoya's name is coping a bashing over the last couple of months

Its just a car to me now! I wonder how all this is affecting our resales it cant be good

Edited by PC XT

• 1 year later...

I usually post in the Aurion section but you Kluger owners with the same motor should be interested to know that I nearly blew up my motor the other day. I lost 3 litres of oil before the warning came on. Stopped the vehicle and found oil leaking very low down somewhere near the oil filter. Tilt tray truck ride back to the dealer who found that one of the rubber hoses of the Oil Cooler Assembly had a pinhole in it.It was going to cost nearly $600 to fix but I wrote to Toyota and so did the dealership to get an out of warranty repair. See attached picture of replacement hose assembly, it appears to be all metal.

post-6135-0-37585300-1325061778_thumb.jp

Edited by julian040859

Had the same issue as Julian did a couple of months ago. Scary because within the space of about a minute the pinhole in the hose sprayed oil onto the exhaust manifold, causing smoke to billow out the rear of the car and nearly emptying the sump. Lucky it didn't catch on fire.

Yeah I was initially told via some Toyota parts boofhead that the replacement rubber hose was not available in AU and would cost some stupid figure like $600-700 to bring in from Japan, and would take about 3-4 weeks. After a few inquiries somewhere else we found the all metal replacement part off the Aurion. It was then that we discovered that Toyota recognized this problem on the Aurion, hence the all metal design.

Moral of the story? If your Kluger still has the rubber hose fittings consider yourself lucky. But you are still sitting on a time bomb so get that part changed ASAP.