Tyre recommendations...

Hi Guys,

I am needing to get some new tyres for the vitz.

It has 15in steelies on it at the moment (185/60/R15)

I want to run 195 (which do fit) and i guess stick with the 60 profiles (unless anyone can suggest something better)

I dont really want to pay more than $130 a corner...

I have gotten a few prices so far

Pirelli P6 - 195/60/R15 - $115 per corner

Khumo KU33 - 195/60/R15 - $160 per corner (more than I would like to spend)

Khumo KH17 - 195/60/R15 - $126 per corner

can anyone give me some more ideas?

I can vouch for St George tyres...used them to get the factory-spec advans for my wife's lancer 195/55/15

For $50 a corner less than I could get them from mates in tyre shops!

So there is every chance they may be able to get you a decent price.

yeah, somewhere in brissy would be nice andy :P

although if i can get some sort of uber deal i would have them shipped here

dave, the 185/60/15 RE001's are $180!

I got my 185/60/R14 RE001s for $160 last year around November/December for $160/corner at Bob Jane Toombul :)

Well if you go to Bob Jane now, you can get the 195/55R15 RE001's for $142 each.

I guess as well, with the 1.27% smaller diameter, you will get a fraction of extra torque at the wheels, compared to the 1.95% larger diameter of the 195/60R15.

whats the life like on the RE001s

Well.... I think you should be asking what the performance is like and not worry about that :lol:

If you take it easy, they can last (remember not to go hard on them for the first thousand k's or two)... but if you can't resist temptation, they like to disappear rather quick.

The issue with RE001 wearing fast doesn't exist, I'm not sure where it started either. Dad got 45,000km out of his with track days. Ensure the alignment is correct (zero individual toe) and they'll last, don't rip skids, etc. I've got about 30,000km on mine and they are probably on their way to 40,000km.

The issue with RE001 wearing fast doesn't exist, I'm not sure where it started either. Dad got 45,000km out of his with track days. Ensure the alignment is correct (zero individual toe) and they'll last, don't rip skids, etc. I've got about 30,000km on mine and they are probably on their way to 40,000km.

I dunno why mine are wearing relatively quick.... I'd be extremely surprised if I got 30-40k out of my RE001's. Maybe it's a combination of my driving style plus the fact they are spun with a V6 FWD.

I dunno why mine are wearing relatively quick....

Do you know what your wheel alignment is? If you don't get a print out of what the settings are never go to that shop again. If you do get a print out look to see if they were idiots and set cross toe to zero, or if they actually know something and set the individual toe to zero. Cross toe is a retarded measurement because you can have 8mm individual toe out, but once the numbers 'cross' they cancel out and you magically have zero cross toe.

Michelin Energy tyres seem to last forever if you want something rock hard with no grip :P

I dunno why mine are wearing relatively quick....

Do you know what your wheel alignment is? If you don't get a print out of what the settings are never go to that shop again. If you do get a print out look to see if they were idiots and set cross toe to zero, or if they actually know something and set the individual toe to zero. Cross toe is a retarded measurement because you can have 8mm individual toe out, but once the numbers 'cross' they cancel out and you magically have zero cross toe.

Michelin Energy tyres seem to last forever if you want something rock hard with no grip :P

LOLz... the spare is actually an energy

just called option 1 garage;

195/60/R15

Khumo

KH15 - 77$

KH17 - 72$

Federal

657-SS - $85

Formoza FD1 - $95

Silverstone

Evo 8 - $110

195/55/15

Khumo

KU31 - $85

KH15 - $84

Federal

595 Evo - $105

215/45/17 - celica tehe

595 Evo - $140

KU36 - $161

KU31 - $118

I think I will go with the KU31's in 195/55/R15... can't really go past $85 a tyre!

• 4 weeks later...
I guess as well, with the 1.27% smaller diameter, you will get a fraction of extra torque at the wheels, compared to the 1.95% larger diameter of the 195/60R15.

Very Interesting, ... so would it improve the 0-100 klm/hr time ?