BP Ultimate VS Shell V-power

Silver-Aurion

• 7 months later...

I just did a google search "BP Ultimate" and my thread comes up on the second page. Wow, must of had a lot of hits.

This thread must be having a massive amount of hits. I googled bp ultimate again and it's now third link on the first page. Lol.

lol you guys are lucky to have the choice! Its only being recently that there has being Vortex98 available in my part of the state so BP 98 was the only option. i have tried both and i personally prefer the BP fuel so I’ve stuck with that since and have never had an problem and the car feels very smooth and refined. On a side note too i added some luqui molly products during the last service and that’s made a difference too, noticeably the right hand exhaust tip is much cleaner after a good thrashing where as before it would be a little black and slightly discolored the chrome a little if you didn’t wash it off not that it was bad in the first place it was quite normal but i have noticed a reduction of grime etc on the exhaust tips since the last service. So i think ill use that every 50,000kms and another one of there products every second service.

• 10 months later...

BP ultimate gets my vote, I have put few tanks of bp ultimate through the kluger, and yeah the proof is in the pudding, the car feels more responsive and it runs smoother and quieter.

I have used both bp ultimate and shell vpower and I like using both, but I agree the car runs better with bp ultimate than shell vpower, however I did get the best fuel economy out of my kluger that I ever got using shell v power.

I put BP ultimate for the first time ever in the silly car the other day as BP is a no show in my area..

I usually use Caltex Vortex 98.. I find the opposite is true in my case. I get better acceleration with the Vortex.. I wont be buying Ultimate again. I have used V power but its been a while and cant compare.

Whats to stop unscrupulous vendors selling 91 or 95 as 98 in a bowser labelled 98? I bet it happens. My car certainly feels likes it's running on 91 with this BP ultimate I have in it at the moment.

I put BP ultimate for the first time ever in the silly car the other day as BP is a no show in my area..

I usually use Caltex Vortex 98.. I find the opposite is true in my case. I get better acceleration with the Vortex.. I wont be buying Ultimate again. I have used V power but its been a while and cant compare.

Whats to stop unscrupulous vendors selling 91 or 95 as 98 in a bowser labelled 98? I bet it happens. My car certainly feels likes it's running on 91 with this BP ultimate I have in it at the moment.

That would be the Fuel Quality Standards act. http://www.environment.gov.au/atmosphere/fuelquality/standards/enforcement/index.html

I know that my car doesn't run well on Vortex98 (neither does STYLSH's, same engine, both supercharged) but I'm not going to blaming an individual fuel vendor of illegal practices.

There's speculation (and word on the street) that what you're pumping into your car may not actually have been produced by the company on the sign. Apparently they regularly purchase fuel from each other, be it for supply and demand ("Hi, Shell? It's BP. We've run out of 98 and need another 5000L. Hook a fella up, will ya?"), or cost saving on transport, etc (it's freaking expensive to ship fuel from Sydney to Perth, cheaper to buy it from BP). Whether the additives are the same in Ultimate as Vortex as V-Power and so on, or whether they each add their own blend of additives, I don't know.

There's speculation (and word on the street) that what you're pumping into your car may not actually have been produced by the company on the sign. Apparently they regularly purchase fuel from each other, be it for supply and demand ("Hi, Shell? It's BP. We've run out of 98 and need another 5000L. Hook a fella up, will ya?"), or cost saving on transport, etc (it's freaking expensive to ship fuel from Sydney to Perth, cheaper to buy it from BP). Whether the additives are the same in Ultimate as Vortex as V-Power and so on, or whether they each add their own blend of additives, I don't know.

The major oil companies have buy sell arrangements with each other in order to eliminate the need to transport large quantities of fuel interstate and subsequently save money.

You will find that in capital cities where a particular oil company does not have their own refinery, they will generally enter in to an agreement with another oil company and purchase fuel from their refinery. You might find some companies import product in to their terminals from overseas or interstate in lieu of supply from a local refinery, however it will all have to do with achieving the most cost effective outcome.

There are terminals that are jointly operated by two oil companies. For example, the Yarraville terminal in Melbourne is a joint venture between Mobil and BP and is supplied by pipeline from the Altona (Mobil) and Corio (Shell) refineries.

The 2007 ACCC inquiry in to Unleaded pricing discusses these agreements in some detail.

Australia's fuel requirements can no longer be met by our refineries and therefore a lot of fuel is imported from refineries in Asia (namely Singapore I think). I know the Clyde refinery in Sydney is going to close soon and I believe Caltex is reviewing the future of their NSW and QLD refineries. We have lost Port Stanvac (Adelaide) and Western Port (Melbourne).

Each company will generally add their own additives in to the fuel, which I understand is done during the tanker loading process at the terminal.

Edited by JMacca53

• 2 weeks later...

I used both fuel since i have this car new i personal think the BP ult is a bit of girls choice keep the engine dead quite which i dont like it in some stage But Shell v-power is different it make my engine rawrrrrr i dont know maybe is my brain is playing with me