Gear change

czaja74

I agree with Unique give a few hundred k's to settle in, remember its got to do its learning thing. then you will see how much better it is.

i had the 2nd to 3rd flare issue on my zr6. we at work also had a customers presara flaring severely, we had authority to replace the complete auto on the presara, that seemed to fix their issue.

i seeked authorization from toyota to replace my auto and i was told to hold off, i filled out a questionaire on the the auto issues and received correspondence to replace the auto ecu ( it is now a revised type, software wise)

now this is after a few things were done. The auto level would need the extra 200ml done first. then check to see if the ecu compensation codes were properly programmed in , do a full reset as Djkor said.

i had then replaced the ecu and had to run it for 1 month and report back. It would have made about 90% difference.

this is an extremely hard one to diagnose , as the owner you drive it 100% of the time and as a dealer we see it for a fraction of that time and it may not always play up. I noticed mine would do it at the same place and time every day , due to temperature ,decline in the roads surface and throttle position. It got the the point when cold i learnt how to make it flare.

so if you have the issue of flaring 2nd to 3rd around 50 -60kph under light accel see the dealer , request it be checked cold , overnight and a snapshot taken on it2 so it can be also confirmed by toyota technical department and if still under warranty get a new auto ecu. Ive test driven government dept vehicles in for a standard service and i experienced the flare. i got an ecu ordered and fitted , hence the local health dept never complained about the flare (they just drove it , its not their car ??lol)

I've had a similar problem with my Aurion (2008 ATX)

Driving normally, the first couple of gear changes are very clunky first thing in the morning. At around 50km/h in particular it seems to hold 3rd gear for longer than it should, revving at about 2500rpm. When the transmission warms up a bit, it changes into 4th with a nice clunk.

Also, it seems to randomly flare while changing gears when warm, apart from this the gear changes are smooth.

The gear shift lever also seems to get very warm, eg. the metal casing, and the plastic around the gear lever. After driving for an hour or so it gets fairly hot.

CMI Toyota in Adelaide have looked at it twice now. They "couldn't fault it". They reset the ECU but that did nothing. Leaving my car there for more than a day is also inconvenient if I have to pay $50 a day for a loan car (this should be covered by warranty)

Anyway I got in touch with Toyota through their website and was given a case number. I'm also taking into Jarvis Toyota in the next week or so, Ill let you know how I go...

The gear shift lever also seems to get very warm, eg. the metal casing, and the plastic around the gear lever. After driving for an hour or so it gets fairly hot.

This has nothing to do with the transmission. What you will find is the cause for it heating up is the bulb that is located directly below the gear shifter assembly. Have a read here:

Heat from centre console when in sports mode?

This has nothing to do with the transmission. What you will find is the cause for it heating up is the bulb that is located directly below the gear shifter assembly. Have a read here:

Heat from centre console when in sports mode?

Thanks DJKOR. That makes sense, I thought that may be have been the case but assumed it would have been a LED light...

• 1 month later...

I've noticed that in first second and sometimes third that the gear changing is quite lazy. Instead of a smooth and quick gear change it likes to rev a bit higher then change. Almost feels "lazy" that it likes to postpone gear change, it waits, waits waits then bam! It decides to change gears.