Gear change

czaja74

i just changed mine transmission fluid last Wednesday when my car went in to get the Intermediate Shaft Spline Changed.. my car has hit the 80,000km mark..

Have you noticed any difference in the transmission operation?

i just changed mine transmission fluid last Wednesday when my car went in to get the Intermediate Shaft Spline Changed.. my car has hit the 80,000km mark..

Have you noticed any difference in the transmission operation?

Didn't do much driving lately .. was driving the Accord Euro around more often while my car is either in Southside Toyota or park at home while i take the central console apart.. hahaha..

Did you just get the drain and fill from Toyota? I think last time I enquired, the transmission oil change was like $290 or there abouts, and involved just that; a drain and fill. I wasn't satisfied as this doesn't include changing the strainer for the ATF. So it's not really a clean changeover.

I bought all the bits and pieces to do this myself (about $100, not including the fluid) but never got around to it.

Did you just get the drain and fill from Toyota? I think last time I enquired, the transmission oil change was like $290 or there abouts, and involved just that; a drain and fill. I wasn't satisfied as this doesn't include changing the strainer for the ATF. So it's not really a clean changeover.

I bought all the bits and pieces to do this myself (about $100, not including the fluid) but never got around to it.

They just told me they will flush out the transmission fluid and change new fluid so seems like a drain and fill... i paid $160 for it. (told them i saw from the forum that it is about $120 and they say the cheapest they can give me is $160 .. i just say ok)

That's pretty weak, $290 just to put new fluid in there. Even if they did a proper flush including the torque converter it'd still be a high price to pay; if it doesn't even include the filter (strainer) that's just woeful.

They just told me they will flush out the transmission fluid and change new fluid so seems like a drain and fill... i paid $160 for it. (told them i saw from the forum that it is about $120 and they say the cheapest they can give me is $160 .. i just say ok)

$160 is probably right, it was years ago I think I paid $120, but I'm pretty sure that included the filter. The cost of any parts the used varies from car to car, and fluid (better fluid costs more) will affect the price too.

That's pretty weak, $290 just to put new fluid in there.

Well I did say "I think". I'm known for having a pretty crappy memory, and when it comes to listening to dealers, all I hear is $$$. I thought about it and I think the figure was actually $190... which makes more sense.

Was quoted $179 at the dealer in hobart, must check if that includes a proper flush. If they are going to do the job it should be done right !

If anyone need my receipt to bargain for a more competitive price at your local service outlet please let me know. I notice that on my receipt it is $140+GST so it is about $154...

I've JUST started getting this issue. I'm at 55000Km's right now. I've been feeling the first and second gear changes.

But i have noticed that the gear change hasn't been as smooth as when the car was new for a good while now. But i just figured a good Gear Oil change would fix that right up!

In fact, i might schedule and appointment for that sometime this week.

I've JUST started getting this issue. I'm at 55000Km's right now. I've been feeling the first and second gear changes.

But i have noticed that the gear change hasn't been as smooth as when the car was new for a good while now. But i just figured a good Gear Oil change would fix that right up!

In fact, i might schedule and appointment for that sometime this week.

The same here. I'm on 46000 km. The thing is that it doesn’t happen all the time but often enough to be annoying. I'll take it to the dealer on Friday and if they don’t do anything I’ll take up with Toyota Directly.

Guess what. My service advisor said he never heard about software update for the transmission ECU. I spoke to Toyota and they were not much help either.

Asked dealer about servicing transmission and he said that there is nothing to service... WTF I'm pretty sure it needs oil change and filters. Anyway he took the note and said that he will ring me tomorrow. See how it goes maybe it is time to change dealer. Any suggestions?

^ My Toyota pretty much told me the same.

That everything was fine during the test drive and that the Gear oil used is good for 100K + Km's. That at 100000Km there will only be a CHECK even, no need to change at all. "Longer Lasting Oil, sir"

BS. I'M the driver, i know better. At least he told me how much it'd cost to get an Oil change for the Transmission....100USD. Kinda expensive i guess but not so bad.

Any of you guys recommend some magic special oil for the Transmission? Or the stuff Toyota uses is enough?

The WS fluid in the U660E automatic transmission has been said to be good for the entire life of the car under most daily driving conditions. As usual though, people will always think different (which is completely acceptable since this is a lubricating fluid we are talking about), but I would imagine for those that just drive normally an don't push the car hard, having the fluid last the life of the car isn't unimaginable.

When it comes to changing it though, you have to ensure you use a WS (World Standard) transmission fluid. No one really knows what makes the WS fluid so special, but as far as it goes, this is basically what you are looking for. There aren't too many oils out there that satisfy this requirement, so your choices are limited. There is Amsoil ATL which is said to be a good oil, but I haven't come across anyone that has reviewed it with this transmission. Apparently there is a Penrite oil as well that satisfies the WS requirement as well as a Fuchs (ATF 4400) oil.

I was going to give the Fuchs ATF 4400 a go with mine, but never got around to it.

Personally, the Toyota stuff does the job so there would be no issues in sticking with it.

ECU on order.Will be there next week. I'll report back after is fitted. Hopefully it will smooth out the gear changes.

Whaaaaaat? You gotta be kidding me?! How did you manage to get the dealer to do that? What did you say/do, so I can copy :lol:

I asked my dealer about the gear changes, and before I could even finish my sentence he interrupted me and said its because its drive by wire!

So what did you have to say or do to get it updated?

Well I was just lucky... The 1st time I took my car and told them about it they said that they couldn’t fault it and that there was nothing wrong with it and drive shaft was ok.... Then I drove for over 4 weeks and drive shaft got worse that there was no doubts. Luckily during a road test transmission raved from 1st to 2nd gear and then held on 2nd and violently changed to 3rd. Then on the trafic lights did exactly the same... I explained that it didn’t do it every time. The issues were so apparent and there was no doubts that there was a problem. Maybe you should change the dealer. I never get interrupted. Bloke listens to my concern and then explains or take action. Every time I took my car for anything I always mentioned these 2 problems.

BTW drive by wire supposed to improve ride quality not degrade it.

Aftet the test I left the car for the day and when I went to pick it up he said that both of the parts were on order. Everytime I went there I always pointed that there was something strange with gear change. luckily it come up while bloke was testing the car for the drive shaft problem.

and here i was thinking i was just being pedantic about the gear changes!!!

is it the transmission itself thats also responsible for the lag between shifts? cause mine takes FOREVER to change gears when it gets up around 5000-6000 revs. only reason is that when i took it down the quarter , i feel like i can get a lot quicker if the gear changes were a bit quicker.

A friend of mine has an FPV-GT and his changes gears almost as if he's driving a manual, its that responsive.

am i just crazy or does everyone else here experience the same 'lag' i do?

i should be receiving my CAI sometime this week, so i'll be disconnecting the battery as part of the install. since it'll be disconnected for more than half an hour (i'm not that good installing stuff!) i'll look at how she responds to that after the ECU reset!

hope it works!

The slower gear changes are common among all Aurions. This is a family car remember. With that in mind, the slow gear changes are there to improve comfort whilst it changes gears. In most cases, you shouldn't feel it change gears. Unfortunately though, some people have developed the issues above where it changes roughly.

Unfortunately though, some people have developed the issues above where it changes roughly.

I had that trouble while developing the CAI, getting the right parts in the right configuration makes all the difference. I finished it off yesterday and even then I had 2 parts that the engine managment didnt like and caused extremely quick gear changes ,felt like the car would stall at each change ! put those parts around the right way and its working perfectly. just got to experiment when DIY rather than buying aftermarket mods, if you can get them.

Got my ECU changed yesterday. I'm not really happy with it. The gear box behaves erratically and raves up time to time. I feel like it worse that it was before. However when it behaves I can feel that gear change is really tight. I’ll give it a week to settle and see how it goes.

Got my ECU changed yesterday. I'm not really happy with it. The gear box behaves erratically and raves up time to time. I feel like it worse that it was before. However when it behaves I can feel that gear change is really tight. I’ll give it a week to settle and see how it goes.

Hmm, thats weird. I guess just give the new ECU sometime to settle in.