LEGAL 8.5" for ZR6 ?

admanzr6

Hi Guys,

Went to price some 20x8.5" wheels for the ZR6. Bob Jane T dorks said that they can't legally put them on because the Aurion std is 7" and you can only go 1" over ( 8" ). I notice that a heap of you guys are riding 8.5, so...whats the deal ?. As I understand it, As long as the wheel sits inside the Guard it's OK ! The Aurion has a heap of room it seems to accomodate even 9" IMO.

Your thoughts and experience is appreciated.

PS - I'm in NSW, so maybe rules differ from state to state.

I'[ll be out all day to day, so can't respond to any replies till late this avo, thanks in advance.

cheers,

p.s. please don't buy wheels from Bob Jane, get a real brand.

You can buy other brands from Bob Jane, you know.....

No way! Thanks for the tip.

Bob Jane only sell tyres!

Edited by u54mot

So the dozens of different wheels they have on display are only for decoration?

So the dozens of different wheels they have on display are only for decoration?

Yeah they do have a dozen different types of wheels on display, but have you ever seen four of the same wheels on display, hence they only sell tyres!

Anyway back to the original post. The Bob-Jane guy is half correct. You can not go over the 1 inch extra on the width, but it is on the largest optional wheel available from the vehicle manufacturer. In this case would be the 18" by 7.5", so the maximum you could go is 8.5", without going over the restrictions.

Taken from the RTA:

Wheels up to 26mm wider than the largest optional wheel recommended by the vehicle manufacturer for the

vehicle can be fitted without the need to notify the RTA.

Front wheel drive vehicles:

Except where the original manufacturer provides to the contrary, front wheel widths shall be no more than 26mm

greater than the widest optional wheel offered by the vehicle manufacturer. This requirement also applies to fourwheel

drive vehicles with constant front wheel drive.

Also you will need to keep in mind not to increase the track width, as there is a limit on that too.

Ref: Guidelines for alternative wheels and tyres

Note: the TRD's run 19" by 8" with 245/35R19

Edited by u54mot

Yeah they do have a dozen different types of wheels on display, but have you ever seen four of the same wheels on display, hence they only sell tyres!

LOL. Dude, they sell wheels as well as tyres. Go to their website.

Come on, what are you talking about, when did they start selling wheels, i thought they were a Tyre Mart!

Haha, Jeff, I was kidding....come on, i've been to Bob Jane lots of times, who hasn't. They even sell air!

Edited by u54mot

Come on, what are you talking about, when did they start selling wheels, i thought they were a Tyre Mart!

Haha, Jeff, I was kidding....come on, i've been to Bob Jane lots of times, who hasn't. They even sell air!

HAHA. I didn't realise you were being sarcastic. No I like stupid........ more stupid.

Do they seriously sell air? or are you being sarcastic again?

HAHA. I didn't realise you were being sarcastic. No I like stupid........ more stupid.

Do they seriously sell air? or are you being sarcastic again?

Yeah they sell Nitrogen to inflate tyres. Although 78% of normal air has nitrogen in it. Which just means that your tyres are more likely to hold their pressure levels.

legal schmegal... go 20" x 12"... :lol:

seriously though, does anyone know the law on "the largest optional wheel recommended by the vehicle manufacturer for the vehicle"?

like, the ZR6 and the TRD are theoretically the "same" vehicle. (ie an Aurion)

so from my understanding, you could legally put a 9" rim on the ZR6 because its 1" bigger than the std rim on the TRD...

Hmm...

Ash made a valid point. For a state in Australia (I think Brissy), the easiest way to calculate a legal upgrade in diameter of a rim is 2" of the stock rim. This doesnt justify the exact reason why ATX (16" stock) could only wear 18" while the Sportivos, Prodigy and Presara (17" stock) could upgrade up to 19" with all of them having pretty much the same spec in terms of handling and safety.

This means Aurion couldn't wear 20s in the first place, let alone 8.5" width with only 1/2 inch difference. If you're concern with 8.5" width, you should also consider to downgrade ur options to the 19" range.

For our case, Thanks to the TRD backin us up. :D

Note: the TRD's run 19" by 8" with 245/35R19

so from my understanding, you could legally put a 9" rim on the ZR6 because its 1" bigger than the std rim on the TRD...

I would think the same as well, however I'm not 100% sure how the TRD falls within the Aurion lineup. It may actually be classified as a different model to your normal Aurion hence the wheels scenario doesn't apply.

But seriously though, I haven't personally heard of defects for having a wheel that is slightly larger than allowable.

post-11427-12725823376_thumb.jpg

$1950.00 for these with 245/30/20 tyres . not bad eh !

Cheap as chips!!....................for a reason.

I like the design but would rather it without the fake rivets.

Would have liked to get 20's but from what I can tell you've got $2k for the wheels (make sure the tyres are the right load rating too as apparently there aren't that many 20in out there with the right load rating) then to make them look right you'll need lowering and to lower effectively without the suspension bottoming out on bumps you'll need to spend at least $1500 to get coilovers so you're really up for at least $3500 and I couldn't justify that.

mate u can def get 20 x 8.5 cus i got them on my zr6 and also make sure the tyers you buy have a rating of 93W i got scammed like that so i needed to buy new tyers after i burned a lot of rubber, :D....also it doesnt look to bad if u dont lower it, it def looks better but its alright