What brake pads are you sporting?

Hey'all.

Just looking for an upgrade for the front brake pads on the ZR, been looking thru the Endless range, think im leaning towards the SSM-Sports or SSS-Sport or even the entry level VN.

Spiel as on the distributors site:

VN:

eVN.jpg

Vita Nuova is our most popular, entry level compound for the everyday sports-minded, city driver concerned especially with safety.

For the spirited driver, factory brake pads may feel stressful at times. If so, this compound will appeal to you. This pad focuses on safety and stopping power. First impact, controllability, pedal feeling, noise level, and pad life are all stable for safer driving within the street stage.

We produce this compound for most Japanese-make vehicles. We want to produce a safe feeling for all spirited drivers. This is what Vita Nuova is all about. A typical factory brake pad's life and noise level are crucial factors during development. Its potential is lost and the average coefficient of friction is low.

Many have probably experienced scary braking situations. Vita Nuova increases the level of the average cofficient of friction. This is necessary for safe stopping power.

SSS-Sport:

eSSS.jpg

We have researched the correct rotor temperature ranges for the spirited street driver. The rotor temperature range for this compound is wide and mu-level is consistently stable.

Thus, brake pedal force does not change considerably at different rotor temperature ranges and braking performance levels maintain consistency on the street given most situations.

This is a very controllable compound that is set at a high mu-level. After fade, recovery is achieved while brake performance does not worsen, returning to the mu-levels achieved before fade, right away.

Part of the Non-Steel Series, Endless uses a Non-Steel Developmental Process using a new, mild ceramic material to increase rotor friendliness.

With no steel materials, dust is minimal and rusting is prevented, enabling ease of cleaning wheels (even with water).

SSM-Sport:

eSSM.jpg

Drive Safe. Drive Clean.

The M compound has been known for its extremely low levels of dust, low noise levels, and long life characteristics. Many consider this the highest grade brake pad for street-type conditions.

Very popular amongst car show users and high-end vehicle owners that care very much about maintaining clean wheels and an overall clean look.

Part of the Non-Steel Series, Endless uses a Non-Steel Developmental Process with a new, mild ceramic material to increase rotor friendliness.

With no steel materials, dust is minimal and rusting is prevented, enabling ease of cleaning wheels (even with water).

Anyone had any experience with em?

What do you want to use your brakes for? PR dribble doesn't give any indication of how good the pads are. If you have a look in the part number thread for the zze Corolla or zzt Celica in the suspension section it will tell you the important info in one location (temp range and coefficient of friction). I'd say they will all be dustier than stock pads; the SSS are. SSS are the better of those those 3 in terms of heat range and coefficient of friction.

Thanks Dave,

Pads are for the daily drive (well, medium to spirited daily drive) and weekend mountain thrashes, so i dont want a pad thats too hot, i dont want to have to heat the bejesus out of them to get them to work efficiently.

Project-Mu are also on the cards. I sent them an email asking what they recommend for the ZR and my application. Just with the bigger wheels now the brakes arnt as bitey as i would like.

NS pads info:

Temperature Range 0~400℃

Friction Coefficient 0.37~0.40μ

B-Spec info:

Temperature Range 0~500℃

Friction Coefficient 0.32~0.45μ

Ill check out that thread, thanks.

If you are going to use them on a half decent mountain drive go for 500ºC. As for coefficient of friction, just use whatever is highest in the heat range you are after.

If you want low dust and low noise keep the stock pads ;)

Project Mu and Endless are fine; Endless tend to be a touch cheaper though.

So "low or minimal dust" means more dust than OEM brakes then :blink:

It's all marketing. You wouldn't believe how many pads out there say that when those claims aren't exactly true. They make such statements without a comparative product mentioned.

looking toward the SSS or even the SSY but il look at the Dixcel M range too..

Oh the choices...

'Low dust' has no definition; low compared to what?

Dixcel tend to cost more than the Project Mu too. Dixcel are quality also.

Oh the choices...

Agreed, my Greenstuff box says "low dust" but they can still turn my front wheels black in 2 weeks. They do a great job of pulling the car up though...

Oh the choices...

Agreed, my Greenstuff box says "low dust" but they can still turn my front wheels black in 2 weeks. They do a great job of pulling the car up though...

+1 on the Greenstuff.

Thanks guys, I managed to score a pair of Endless SSM low dust 0-530*C, 0.3-0.4 μ for a great price from YahooJapan.

Now these are specifically made for low dust. So i guess we shall see how they go, slightly lower μ tho..

i run the entry level VN Endless pads, they are dusty but pull up very well.

there was a huge difference compared to the stock parts. But again its very very very dusty... i wash my car then drive home with minimum breaking i can see dust already (which is like a 7-8 mins trip)

but there was a few times when i had to slam the brakes and gladed i have something that was better then the stock pads. Paid 260 including machined disc and install for them.

Hope that helps.

Edited by stock

when i was running a oem setup in the caliper department i was running ferodo ds2500's and dba4000 rotors.

was an excellent combo for the stivo