Federal 595RPMs

mikka

Just thought I'd add a few comments on the new rubber I've put on the Aurion.

I had Federal 595RPM's in 225/40/18 installed on a set of Kappas on the weekend - initial impressions are very favorable.

Handling is markedly improved, slow speed cornerning is a completely different sensation, roundabouts are now taken flat with little or no bodyroll at normal speeds (I'm yet to install my tower strut bar but I'm looking forward to this improving the situation even further). It could just be me but I think its easier to handle around town too, you seem to require fewer steering inputs to keep it on line. I also used to experience a slight wallowing sensation at slow speed, this has now totally gone. Overall ride comfort hasn't been impacted nearly as much as I thought it would (perhaps 10% but barely noticeable) and the compromise for the handling is certainly worth it. Basically the car feels much more planted.

Only downside I can see is that there is a 2.9% difference in rolling diameter, which when added to the normal overread on the speedo has (according to the GPS unit) my speedo overreading by 10kph.

Just thought I'd add a few comments on the new rubber I've put on the Aurion.

I had Federal 595RPM's in 225/40/18 installed on a set of Kappas on the weekend - initial impressions are very favorable.

Handling is markedly improved, slow speed cornerning is a completely different sensation, roundabouts are now taken flat with little or no bodyroll at normal speeds (I'm yet to install my tower strut bar but I'm looking forward to this improving the situation even further). It could just be me but I think its easier to handle around town too, you seem to require fewer steering inputs to keep it on line. I also used to experience a slight wallowing sensation at slow speed, this has now totally gone. Overall ride comfort hasn't been impacted nearly as much as I thought it would (perhaps 10% but barely noticeable) and the compromise for the handling is certainly worth it. Basically the car feels much more planted.

Only downside I can see is that there is a 2.9% difference in rolling diameter, which when added to the normal overread on the speedo has (according to the GPS unit) my speedo overreading by 10kph.

i got the 595ss and i reckon these were the best tyres i've had so far... too bad evos arent available yet for 16s <_<

i agree with u on the handling and noise level. on flat new roads, i can hardly hear the tyres roll and more of the engine noise :P corners can be attacked more agressively (but i dont do this often) and the car body roll isn't like before.

mind u i had 3 different tyres on the car before which made it drove really funny :D

A question out to those who may know more about Federal tires than I do (to save me from calling them):

When you go to their website (http://www.federaltyres.com.au/ss595) the way they have listed their tires with the semi-slick at the top, you would think that it is in order with the best at the top and the 'lesser' type at the bottom. In other words, from good to better it would be something like: 595, 595EVO, 595RPM, and 595RS-R.

Would this be the case?

Because if so, that's a real bummer because only the 595EVO come in my tire size (245/35R19) and load/speed rating. This is what I'll be getting once these tires are all used up.

A question out to those who may know more about Federal tires than I do (to save me from calling them):

When you go to their website (http://www.federaltyres.com.au/ss595) the way they have listed their tires with the semi-slick at the top, you would think that it is in order with the best at the top and the 'lesser' type at the bottom. In other words, from good to better it would be something like: 595, 595EVO, 595RPM, and 595RS-R.

Would this be the case?

Because if so, that's a real bummer because only the 595EVO come in my tire size (245/35R19) and load/speed rating. This is what I'll be getting once these tires are all used up.

i think that's the way they list them (according to the descriptions... best to good (top to bottom)

with semis... i'd still be careful about driving in the wet with em... looking at the tread design, even though they say its legal for the street, i still i don't think it'd have better water dispersion compared to the others below it. unless ur only tracking ur aurion :P

i'd say the evo would be the better buy considering yours is a daily right? :)

edit: omg there is a place in qld, cant remember but u can get those dirt cheap + fitted too... look on the website and ring around

Edited by Kenshin X

Would this be the case?

I think you're spot on there Daryl.

The RPM's do come in a 285/35/R19 but you'd need a 9.5in rim. I can put you in touch with the guys that I got mine from if you're interested.

Cheers

M.

edit: omg there is a place in qld, cant remember but u can get those dirt cheap + fitted too... look on the website and ring around

I can put you in touch with the guys that I got mine from if you're interested.

Let me guess... Option 1 Garage?

Oh wells, I guess where I may loose out on a slight drop in performance in the EVO's compared with the RPM's, I guess I'll make up for it in the extra width... and better driving :lol:

I can put you in touch with the guys that I got mine from if you're interested.

Let me guess... Option 1 Garage?

Oh wells, I guess where I may loose out on a slight drop in performance in the EVO's compared with the RPM's, I guess I'll make up for it in the extra width... and better driving :lol:

I wasn't sure on the rules regarding plugging commercial organisations but yup Daryl you got it in one :clap:

My 595RPM's were $205 a corner installed - a dead-set bargain in my opinon - and my 3 y.o son loved playing Forza Racing on their Xbox and big screen - strangely enough he was better at it than me (think I must be getting old - my hand-eye co-ordination has suddenly disappeared), then again he has declared that his life's ambition is to be a racing car driver and that we need a new house as we currently dont have enough space for his Porsche, Lamborghini, Ferrari and the Aurion :lol:

I wasn't sure on the rules regarding plugging commercial organisations but yup Daryl you got it in one :clap:

I think the general rule is only if you have experience with them somewhat and have no affiliation with them.

My 595RPM's were $205 a corner installed - a dead-set bargain in my opinon...

Damn... that is a steal. I am guessing the 595EVO's will be around $300 or there abouts judging from the fact that Northy here was paying somewhere around that figure for 20 inch rubber for his SSV.

Either way... anything below $400 with good performance would keep me happy. After paying $430 a corner for my Yoko S-Drive's, I really wouldn't mind saving some coin.

I would have paid double for them - they have completely changed the feel of the car, she feels more performance orientated now whereas before it would go when asked but wallowed a bit around town, best $820 I've spent in a long time.

I think the general rule is only if you have experience with them somewhat and have no affiliation with them.

My 595RPM's were $205 a corner installed - a dead-set bargain in my opinon...

Damn... that is a steal. I am guessing the 595EVO's will be around $300 or there abouts judging from the fact that Northy here was paying somewhere around that figure for 20 inch rubber for his SSV.

Either way... anything below $400 with good performance would keep me happy. After paying $430 a corner for my Yoko S-Drive's, I really wouldn't mind saving some coin.

my 2cents...Toyo Proxes T1R 245/35/R19 all the correct ratings,quiet,smooth and a bloody good tyre for the money $325-$375ea.

I've done a few 100km's on them now including a spirited mountain run and i can't fault them...ohhh yeah and they look freakin shhhweet fitted which is a bonus and was NOT a deciding factor when i bought them.

After paying $430 a corner for my Yoko S-Drive's, I really wouldn't mind saving some coin.

PWORRRR!!! :blink:

anyways, 1 year ago, you wouldnt be able to touch those federals at that price. they have dramatically decreased in price as they have moved to taiwan... still though, its "approved in europe" as it says on my tires :P i haven't tried the yokos... the price repelled me, thats why i got the feds instead

I am surprised no one has thrown a spanner in the works by mentioning other tyres... ;)

how would you rate the federals out of 10?

Evo

I've got to give them an 8 out of 10 - would be higher but since they're new I dont know how they're going to wear and I dont know what they're like in the rain.

Handling - massive improvement, corners flat, seems to brake better, and feels like a different car, more sporty. Its also better around town at slow speed.

Noise - no different to stock

Wet - not sure yet, it hasn't rained since I got them

Ride - maybe 10% worse than the Dunlop 60series I had on before

All in all its completely changed the feel of the car in a postive way, personally I'd think you'd be mad not to put them on if you're running stock tyres

i heard 999 automative normally has special on the Kuhmo KU36. Maybe thats worth looking at.

i ask a store in sydney for 225/40/18 and they wanted 220 a corner so it sounds pretty decent. From my test run the other night i dont have any complaints with them and a few other guys that i know run them and they said its surprisingly good in the wet too.

Only thing i would point out is that they work so much better once they are warmed up, and that i find these alot for grippy then the RE050 i had previously. Oh and another thing they tyre are surprising quite too.

oh well i just checked the kuhmo website.. they dont do 19" lol

$385.00 - 225/40 R18 XL (website price)

Edited by stock

When we say things like 8/10, what are we comparing with? It's hard to make a comparison when you don't have much to compare to in the first place. Then you have to consider the upper and lower end of the scale. Is a 10/10 a high quality road-legal semi-slick, or a intermediate level high performance tire?

All this tyre talk makes me wanna get some Toyo R1Rs ;)

But my T1Rs have plenty of tread on them..

When we say things like 8/10, what are we comparing with? It's hard to make a comparison when you don't have much to compare to in the first place. Then you have to consider the upper and lower end of the scale. Is a 10/10 a high quality road-legal semi-slick, or a intermediate level high performance tire?

Fair point Daryl.

8/10 is a general satisfaction level given the price and desired function - I should have stated that I was after a reasonably priced tyre that could improve the everyday handling of my car (my car is an everyday driver that will probably never see the track). The 595RPM's are if anything probably far more high performance than my requirements but they didn't have KU31's in stock and this was the next best thing. The reason for my high rating is that I have been impressed with the handling improvement of the car when compared to the ride quality degredation - to me its been a bit of a revelation. I expected the car to handle well but be a bit of a dog on the bumps and probably a bit noisier, where as the handling has improved out of sight and the ride quality has dropped only slightly and noise is the same, hence my high rating.

Tyre ratings are pretty subjective anyway and mine is no different. The bottom line is that for around $800 I got 4 high performance tyres that enhance the handling characteristics of the car, whether they last at the track or post good lap times is for someone else to determine but for me as I said, if you're rolling on stock I can recommend that you give these a try as they change the car from a bit wallowy and understeery to something a lot tighter and more direct. I couldn't be happier with them.

Was talking to someone from Bob Jane today and he recommended yokohama ADVAN Sport V103 which is he is going to order tomorrow morning but i just realised the load rating is 91 not 93 fook.

Was talking to someone from Bob Jane today and he recommended yokohama ADVAN Sport V103 which is he is going to order tomorrow morning but i just realised the load rating is 91 not 93 fook.

The load rating on the 225/45R18 tyres are 95 and speed rated at Y

Advan Sport V103 Specifications

So you're safe.

How much are they?

Got a set of these sitting in the shed...in 245/35/R20 one thing i found with these tyres is they wear fast but other than that they are excellent and all the ratings should be above whats required.

there are a bloody pricey tyre,i hope there doing some sort of good deal for you.

i just checked the retail price of ADVAN 103 sports 245/35/R20 and they are still between $600-$700 each,i paid around $540ea just over a year ago. :blink:

Cheers

Lee

Got a set of these sitting in the shed...in 245/35/R20 one thing i found with these tyres is they wear fast but other than that they are excellent and all the ratings should be above whats required.

there are a bloody pricey tyre,i hope there doing some sort of good deal for you.

i just checked the retail price of ADVAN 103 sports 245/35/R20 and they are still between $600-$700 each,i paid around $540ea just over a year ago. :blink:

Cheers

Lee

Any idea what the retail is for v103's in 225/45/18. I was phone qouted $393 but to go instore or pricing.

Any idea what the retail is for v103's in 225/45/18. I was phone qouted $393 but to go instore or pricing.

The only price i know is for the Yokohama S.Drive's in 225/45R18 which was about $315 a few years ago

Gave them a ring before have a choice between s drive and some pirelli ones forgot name they 450ish on special for $350 butthey in a 235.