got the transmission serviced.

Haha. I was more on the non money side but something like not bring allowed to wash the car for a month. Or is betting $109 less painful :lol: I'll show my mechanic your picture of the strainer as well and see what he says as an ex dealer mechanic.

I'll try to keep you updated with the iPhone.

Virtual money. I'm not going to bet real money on something like this. I'm not that mean :lol:

For when you show him some photos... and for when you get a proper part number directly from Toyota (not just trusting what he says if he doesn't agree with the photo), here are a couple more:

dsc05933g.th.jpg dsc05935g.th.jpg

That part is nothing like what I was shown. What they showed me was something no bigger then 14 15 cm and flat with a mesh filter. It's not what the mechanic said but also the dealer when I called today.

But either way one us is wrong. I'm guessing me because I usually am. But I hope I'm not because then a don't need to spend like 116 on one :D

oh yeah. I was also told that a flush requires 8 litres aprox. This was confirmed by the dealer and mechanic today. Not the 6 litres I initially said.

Also can the parts you have now fit in your trd :)

Edited by unique

oh yeah. I was also told that a flush requires 8 litres aprox. This was confirmed by the dealer and mechanic today. Not the 6 litres I initially said.

Also can the parts you have now fit in your trd :)

If you do a flush in the traditional manner by disconnecting the cooler hose and flushing it that way, you can expect to easily go through that much fluid as the entire transmission holds about 5.3 litres. If doing it this way, you would expect to do it properly and may go through even more than that. I would estimate at least 10 litres used in total (full flush and fill) and with the price of the transmission fluid, and your thoughts of keeping the same strainer etc, then is this another cost you are thinking of adding to it all. An example of this process is shown here (different transmission but similar procedure):

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280006

As for the parts I have here, yes they will fit on my TRD as I have the exact same transmission... just with the addition of an external transmission cooler. Unless of course my dealer and I are incorrect and the strainer I have here is completely useless.

That is a cool link. Will read it. Your correct again. The mechanic DID say 10 litres but when I got freaked out at how much it will cost he said it could also be 8.

All will be revealed tomorrow. Yay :)

edit. The strainer shown on the first picture on that link looks like the one I was shown.

Edited by unique

Update. The pan is dropped. And the oil is still clean like red wine. Bugger!! Wish the Aurion had a dip stick. Oh well, might as well still get it flushed while I'm here :). But one magnet had shavings and the other was totally clean.

Edit: ok. Now I compared it to fresh fluid and the one in the car is much darker then fresh oil.

Edited by unique

Okay, well I'm home now.

Everything went okay. In the end we only used about 6.1 litres of oil after the flush. My car is on 62,000KM and the transmission oil was still good enough (IMHO) until at least 100,000KM, easy! If I knew the state of the oil I would have left it alone, but I have no regrets. At least I know that almost everything in the car was replaced etc when I had the car so now I know the full state of my vehicle and that I don't ever need to change the oil for another four years :yahoo:

Gear changing feels smoother. You cannot notice a considerable amount of difference because the old oil was already clean so the transmission was performing okay anyway. But the new fluid did smooth out gear changes of course, as the new oil was more pink and the old oil was like a dark blood colour.

Anyone who is thinking of doing this and your car is around the same KM's as mine, don't spend the money and wait until you hit higher Km's unless you don't care about the money, I say go ahead and do it.

Now all I gotta do is just keep an eye on the gasket to see if any leaks arise. Gaskets just out of your luck can sometimes fail.

Anyone who is thinking of doing this and your car is around the same KM's as mine, don't spend the money and wait until you hit higher Km's unless you don't care about the money, I say go ahead and do it.

Well well... this would really explain why Toyota recommend changing it at 90,000km under sever conditions and in every other scenario, it's just an inspection. I knew this new fluid they are using isn't entirely crap.

And by the way.... you didn't mention what I was look forward to.

Well well... this would really explain why Toyota recommend changing it at 90,000km under sever conditions and in every other scenario, it's just an inspection. I knew this new fluid they are using isn't entirely crap.

And by the way.... you didn't mention what I was look forward to.

lol. I was hoping you forgot about that..

*Hands DJK $100*

:P

edit: And yes, Toyota was not bull sh*tting. The tranny oil (atf WS) is amazing stuff. It can definitely take you an easy 100,000K.

But like I said, at 62K mine looked blood red where as brand new was almost like pink.

Edited by unique

quick update after driving around some more tonight:

I don't think this is a placebo effect but I can swear that changing gears like (like from R to D etc) feels so much smoother. Usually these would kick or jolt into gear. Now you literally cannot tell that you are shifting to gear.

gear changes definitely feel smoother overall. That annoying jerkyness is gone.

• 1 month later...

Had tranni serviced today. Car done 51k. When he drained oil I really didnt like the look of it. It was pretty dirty. So drained it flashed and mate what a difference. It is really smooooth. I think Toyotas 90k it is a BS. 1st tranni oil flush and change should be aound 50k - 60k. Money well spent.

Did you go to the place I told you about or somewhere else? I'm surprised that you thought that your oil was in bad condition. To be honest, mine even at 62K I think was not too bad and I think it could have lasted another good 20K before I would definitely change it. The previous owner must have done a lot of highway driving.

Where are you located? Eventually my car will come out of warranty and if there were mechs nearby that know their way about toyotas, that would be brilliant.

Cheers mate. I'm actually at the mechanic now. He is too busy to do my car today but Ill book it for another day. I want to do this as a preventitive measure also so gunk never gets a chance to build up and I have no fear of the tranny dieing *shudder*.

By strainer do you mean filter because I'll be getting all that replaced too.

The mechanic showed me his stock of Toyota authentic oils and filters so he already has the right parts and oils handy. I think he said all up $75.

I sent you a PM. Unfurtunitally(kind of) I have warranty so I still need log book servicing for another three years. These guys will do everything else for me like brakes etc and I'll take it to the dealer just for oil and filter to keep the Toyota boys happy. <_<

I am also interested as to the location of this workshop.

Ta

Did you go to the place I told you about or somewhere else? I'm surprised that you thought that your oil was in bad condition. To be honest, mine even at 62K I think was not too bad and I think it could have lasted another good 20K before I would definitely change it. The previous owner must have done a lot of highway driving.

Yes I went to that place. It turns up that the guy can do logbook service including one with Toyota advantage an. On top of that you see the guy while he is working on the car.

Yes I went to that place. It turns up that the guy can do logbook service including one with Toyota advantage an. On top of that you see the guy while he is working on the car.

Oh really? Thats cool. Didnt know he could do logbook servicing!

I think that is what I liked is that you can see the work they are doing unlike toyota stealer.

He even has the computer to plug into the car so chances are they wont charge to get error codes because they done it to my car and it was like a two minute thing. I cant believe the dealer charges for that. :lol:

Edited by unique

I think that is what I liked is that you can see the work they are doing unlike toyota stealer.

He even has the computer to plug into the car so chances are they wont charge to get error codes because they done it to my car and it was like a two minute thing. I cant believe the dealer charges for that. :lol:

gday,

can you pm me too with the dealer address please? im super interested. sounds like a professional place for my friend's aurion that ran out of warranty.

u dont get many independents set up with nice professional workshops. most of them look like old garages.

super dooper. i'll put in a good word for u

gday,

can you pm me too with the dealer address please? im super interested. sounds like a professional place for my friend's aurion that ran out of warranty.

u dont get many independents set up with nice professional workshops. most of them look like old garages.

super dooper. i'll put in a good word for u

Wow, I've sent like 5 people the address so far and already one guy went there to get a service. I should get a commission from everyone that ends up going. This mechanic is getting free advertisement and I'm doing all the work :lol:

Just put in a good word for me so he can give me a good price next time I go there :lol:

Booked in next friday (16th) for my trans service now im aproaching 150K, they tell me to allow 4 hours as the trans must be refilled small amounts at a time warmed up in between top ups. Think the quote was around $200 + pan gasket. Will be interesting to see if there is any change in the gear changes.

• 2 weeks later...

This reply will cover both the trans sevice and dealer servicing queries,. Had my aurion booked for trans service 2 weeks in advance, due today but they didn't order the gasket, so after leaving very unhappy, I was pleased to get a call from service department that they acknkowleged the error and will service the transmission for no charge. Very happy that a service division can rectify a problem to the customer satisfaction. thanks CO-OP TOYOTA HOBART.

This reply will cover both the trans sevice and dealer servicing queries,. Had my aurion booked for trans service 2 weeks in advance, due today but they didn't order the gasket, so after leaving very unhappy, I was pleased to get a call from service department that they acknkowleged the error and will service the transmission for no charge. Very happy that a service division can rectify a problem to the customer satisfaction. thanks CO-OP TOYOTA HOBART.

Damn lucky aye.