Waxing glass window and windscreen

Does anyone here wax their windows and windscreens?

I'm thinking that by waxing the windows it would be easier to see while driving because of the beading but i do not know the disadvantages of waxing glass? I'm focusing in particular the back windscreen.

Does anyone here wax their windows and windscreens?

I'm thinking that by waxing the windows it would be easier to see while driving because of the beading but i do not know the disadvantages of waxing glass? I'm focusing in particular the back windscreen.

i wouldnt wax your windows, if youre after water beading off your windows, try using rainx... even claying the windows increases the water beading ability of the windows...

the most i have used was meguiars ultimate quik detailer on the windows but found that it didnt last very long on the glass...

I generally use Meguiars Glass Cleaner (the non acid one in the maroon bottle) on both the insides and outsides of my windows and I find that tends to help bead wise, although I would like to try RainX. They stay pretty clean between washes and the water runs off pretty well. Although I will try your suggestion on the weekend Davo and clay bar the windows as well out of curiosity :)

I clayed my windows once and when the sun hit, it made all my windows look dirty from the inside because it looked like a cloudy haze over all my windows. That really annoyed the crap outa me. It finally got better after a couple of car washes later when it all washed off.

I clayed my windows once and when the sun hit, it made all my windows look dirty from the inside because it looked like a cloudy haze over all my windows. That really annoyed the crap outa me. It finally got better after a couple of car washes later when it all washed off.

did you clean your windows after claying?? wouldnt be suprised if you got the streaks after claying if you didnt follow up with some sort of glass cleaner...

generally after i clay my car i give it a quick wash before i start the buffing...

I heard that window cleaners like "windex" and such, also work? is this true?

probably, so long as tyou dont use it inside... the ammonia attacks your window tint...

if you really wnt the best sort of "rain resistance" i would strongly recommend you to:

1. clay window/wipers.

2. apply auto glym glass polish

3. apply rainX

4. make sure you buff all the rainX off, or it will leave ugly streaks

5. top up your washer fluid with rainX washer additive.

6. sit back and laugh whilst you drive along the fwy in a rain shower, and realise your NOT using your wipers! :)

So what about the inside then? what's the best for inside of the windshield?

50/50 mix of metho and water. Or if you want to buy a product, get some CRC Glass Cleaner.

So what about the inside then? what's the best for inside of the windshield?

50/50 mix of metho and water. Or if you want to buy a product, get some CRC Glass Cleaner.

Hey DJ,

I tried the 50/50 solution...

But i found that there was streaks on the windshield after 10 mins. the solution didn't completely dry off.. is this normal?

i had to use tissues to get rid of everything... i was expecting it to completely dry off by itself since it had alcohol in the solution.

BUT, it does look ALOT cleaner and CLEAR.

But i found that there was streaks on the windshield after 10 mins. the solution didn't completely dry off.. is this normal?

i had to use tissues to get rid of everything... i was expecting it to completely dry off by itself since it had alcohol in the solution.

Did you use a good clean microfibre cloth? If that didn't work the best for you, dilute it down more. Maybe like 1/4 metho to 3/4 water. I never really had any streaking issues along as it's wiped off well.

Only thing I get is those smudges from that oily residue that build up on the windows. I've heard this is caused by the plastic parts in the car heating up and releasing them, but I dunno. Either way, it usually results in a few passes to completely clean up.

I generally use Meguiars Glass Cleaner (the non acid one in the maroon bottle) on both the insides and outsides of my windows and I find that tends to help bead wise, although I would like to try RainX. They stay pretty clean between washes and the water runs off pretty well. Although I will try your suggestion on the weekend Davo and clay bar the windows as well out of curiosity :)

[/quote

Clay it and just feel the difference, Smoooooth!! gets rid of all the embedded crap that doesn't come off with normal cleaners.

I heard that window cleaners like "windex" and such, also work? is this true?

Windex would probably work to some extent, just be careful with using it and other products that contain ammonia around tints and other plastic bits.

RainX is just pH-adjusted isopropyl alcohol. Windex etc contain a bit of isopropyl alcohol, but they're actually mostly water (OTOH, RainX is pretty much entirely isopropyl alcohol). So you'd be better off using CD or corrective lens cleaner.

• 2 weeks later...

if you really wnt the best sort of "rain resistance" i would strongly recommend you to:

1. clay window/wipers.

3. apply rainX

Do RainX and AutoGlym work together? I thought it was one or the other.

Alright just Did the whole 50/50 meth/water solution again,, This time i tried out a new microfibre cloth.

The cloth makes a BIG difference to the end result... very clean window.

will be back after i get some rainX to comment on that :D

with the way current sydney weather has been, shouldn't be too long...

Edited by Chrono Trigger

1. clay window/wipers.

3. apply rainX

Do RainX and AutoGlym work together? I thought it was one or the other.

nope - basically if you go the whole hog, the clay bar removes any stuck on particles on your window, the auto glym prepares the glass, and the rainX seals it all in and helps promote water beading..

basically each step prepares the surface of the glass for the next...

thats how i see it anyway :P