Aurion cruise control

Hello All,

I am the owner of a new 2010 Aurion Touring sedan, my experience with the cruise control

is annoying. My previous Toyota V6 Camry (manual) had cruise control. My other car, an NC

Mazda MX5 has cruise control. The Aurion maintains the set speed only on flat roads

or slight uphill driving, but tends to overspeed at the slightest downhill slope.

Both my previous Camry and my automatic MX5 maintain the set speed no matter if the

car is travelling up a hill or down.

The Aurion is only new, but this behavior is very annoying, it is as though the cruise

control is turned off. please reply if you have had a similar experience.

Cheers, Ron

Hi and welcome. Yes I notice that but it never bothered me

It depends really what benefit you seek from the cruise control

The point of it for me is for fuel efficiency in long distance. Don't really care that much whether it works on uphill/ downhill road.

After all, you still need to be alert on anything that's going on around the road. If I were you and the CC worked the way you want it, I'd be too relaxed with it maintaining all the major work, more likely to let my guard down..

Anw, enjoy your stay. Since you bought it already, you just have to live with it. :)

Edited by VF-X

Hello All,

I am the owner of a new 2010 Aurion Touring sedan, my experience with the cruise control

is annoying. My previous Toyota V6 Camry (manual) had cruise control. My other car, an NC

Mazda MX5 has cruise control. The Aurion maintains the set speed only on flat roads

or slight uphill driving, but tends to overspeed at the slightest downhill slope.

Both my previous Camry and my automatic MX5 maintain the set speed no matter if the

The Aurion is only new, but this behavior is very annoying, it is as though the cruise

Cheers, Ron

Our old commie would use engine braking to slow down. Was pretty cool and good for the inner city streets that go and up down.

On the Aurion you can't really use CC on normal streets because of the uneven roads, even on some freeways! Not sure why Toyota did it like this. We had a ford which also did not slow down and kept speeding up.

Hello All,

Cheers, Ron

Our old commie would use engine braking to slow down. Was pretty cool and good for the inner city streets that go and up down.

On the Aurion you can't really use CC on normal streets because of the uneven roads, even on some freeways! Not sure why Toyota did it like this. We had a ford which also did not slow down and kept speeding up.

Our 2010 ZR6 has no issues with the cruise at all,uphill,downhill,on freeways,back roads etc.I would be bringing it to toyotas attention as you might have a vacuum hose dislodged, but then again it is a (DBW)Drive by Wire setup

Hello All,

Cheers, Ron

Our 2010 ZR6 has no issues with the cruise at all,uphill,downhill,on freeways,back roads etc.I would be bringing it to toyotas attention as you might have a vacuum hose dislodged, but then again it is a (DBW)Drive by Wire setup

Maybe the new CC is different? My Aurion just keeps creeping up speed when going downhill until I have to take over to tap the brakes then once we are on even road again I put it back on CC.

Hello All,

Cheers, Ron

Maybe the new CC is different? My Aurion just keeps creeping up speed when going downhill until I have to take over to tap the brakes then once we are on even road again I put it back on CC.

Hi Unique, mate they could be different its just that the issues Southpac is having its like the cruise control needs an adjustment made to fully shut off the trailing throttle when the car is descending downhill.Admittingly cruise or no cruise a vehicle is going to gain momentum when descending down a steep incline untill you tap the brake to make the auto go back a cog and provide the engine braking in which it is designed to do.

Maybe someone else here could shine a light on the subject as I would be interested if there is a common fault RE: the cruise,

Cheers

Hello All,

Cheers, Ron

Hi Unique, mate they could be different its just that the issues Southpac is having its like the cruise control needs an adjustment made to fully shut off the trailing throttle when the car is descending downhill.Admittingly cruise or no cruise a vehicle is going to gain momentum when descending down a steep incline untill you tap the brake to make the auto go back a cog and provide the engine braking in which it is designed to do.

Maybe someone else here could shine a light on the subject as I would be interested if there is a common fault RE: the cruise,

Cheers

Yeah mine does cut throttle. It's not like it just keeps accelerating downhill. It's gravity that takes over and the car goes over speed. Like I said though, our old commie would engine brake to slow down, maybe this is not good for the engine and manufactures decided to no longer do this?

This is a good thread: http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24227&st=0&p=353982entry353982

The throttle actuator operates by vacuum whereby a signal from the microprocessor will cause the vacuum-servo to "inhale" and thus, to open the throttle and allow the vehicle to accelerate. Conversely a signal to decelerate will cause the vacuum-servo to "exhale" and thereby reduce power to the engine.

The Cruise Control system will help prevent accidental speeding. Because it opens and closes the throttle on a gentle vacuum principle, avoiding abrupt movements, it can also help with reducing fuel consumption.

Taken from: http://www.cruisecontrols.com.au/prod-cc.html

Interesting. I don't think Toyota implemented that as the Aurions only cut throttle and that is about it.

Edited by unique

Hello All,

Cheers, Ron

Cheers

Yeah mine does cut throttle. It's not like it just keeps accelerating downhill. It's gravity that takes over and the car goes over speed. Like I said though, our old commie would engine brake to slow down, maybe this is not good for the engine and manufactures decided to no longer do this?

This is a good thread: http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24227&st=0&p=353982entry353982

From what you have described I think thats exactly what it is UNIQUE,gravity as I just browsed thru our hand book for the car and the first paragraph relating to the cruise control it states( The cruise control is designed to maintain a set cruising speed,both up and down grades,HOWEVER, changes in vehicle speed may occur on STEEPER grades)so going by that its an integral part of the setup

Okay...

I was coming back from Bendigo to Sunbury on Sunday afternoon and I was on the cruise control set at 110km/h. I was approaching a downhill section which the car was starting to pick up speed, as this happens the engine revs cut down due to the excess speed. However as the speed gets to around 7-10km/h over the set 110km/h speed setting, the gearbox has automatically geared back from 6th to 4th without my intervention. As a result, engine braking has occured and bought the speed back to 110km/h as set. At this point the engine braking is held until the gradient of the road levels out and the gearbox switches back to final gear.

This has happened to me since I've had the car from 2008. :)

Just thought you guys might like to know that's all.

Okay...

I was coming back from Bendigo to Sunbury on Sunday afternoon and I was on the cruise control set at 110km/h. I was approaching a downhill section which the car was starting to pick up speed, as this happens the engine revs cut down due to the excess speed. However as the speed gets to around 7-10km/h over the set 110km/h speed setting, the gearbox has automatically geared back from 6th to 4th without my intervention. As a result, engine braking has occured and bought the speed back to 110km/h as set. At this point the engine braking is held until the gradient of the road levels out and the gearbox switches back to final gear.

This has happened to me since I've had the car from 2008. :)

Just thought you guys might like to know that's all.

I can confirm what he just said. When I used to drive a Mitsubishi 2002 TJ series 2 Magna sedan, I had cruise control in it. Say if I was to drive from Joondalup back to my home town which is Victoria Park, there is a dip just after Warwick Rd towards Reid Hwy, my Magna with its cruise control set to 100kmh, does the engine braking a lot early and the revs goes down a bit. Once it is back on even road, the revs go back to over 2000rpm. The magna is now gone as it got written off last year. I was set to trade it in for the Aurion later this year but no....

Currently I drive my mum's Mazda 2003 6 Classic hatch and it does the same thing as the Magna did. However on both cars, when it is on a slight incline or increasing incline, the car revs up to pull the car over it quickly. I assume the cruise control on the Aurion is the same?

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I bought the latest model Aurion in January with the same cruise control problems. I used to drive a Holden Commodore and cruise control saved me from speeding fines.

I've tried complaining to Toyota and the Dealer without any luck.

They tell me the Cruise Control is rated to go 10% above the speed set.

The police arent going to see that as a valid argument if I get pulled over!!! My Commodore went a maximum of 4% but generally less than that, and I could feel the engine pull back. But not this car.

The "helpful" advice I got was not to use it on winding roads and on hills. I have just driven over 5000km and had to use a combination of cruise control and the speed warning system to keep me legal.

What I did also notice is when the car has slowed on an incline, then it goes above the speed set before it settles back into the set speed.

I'm very frustrated as cruise control was 1 of my 2 requirements for a new car!! I expected this cruise control to be better than my 12 year old Commodore! But it is far worse.

Is there are way to convince Toyota it needs an upgrade?

Thanks

Yeah we had a old Holden that would draw itself back as soon as it went over the set limit. The Aurion seems to be a late tardy when it comes to reducing speed down hill, 99% of the time I have to intervene to slow down.

Do you guys also have trouble with getting the power windows where you want them every time?

Maybe setting the parking mirrors is difficult too.

How about getting the seat in the same position?

Then I suggest maybe you sell you car to some other person because there are bigger things in life that you could whinge about.

Personally, I can see how the operation of the cruise control can be frustrating for some.... but I seriously don't see how it can be such an inconvenience that you would feel the urge to complain to Toyota about it (or even make a fuss about it at all). If you need cruise control to save you from a speeding ticket, then I really think you are doing it wrong. At the end of the day, you are meant to be driving the car, not the other way around.

Build a bridge and get over it. And if the bridge slopes downhill, use your brakes as well.

[/rant]

Cruise Control can be really useful, especially for the long drives like sydney to melbourne.

The good thing about the cruise control exceeding the speed limit when your going down hill is that it will allow you to break and not fall asleep on the wheel.

I have noticed that with the gen 5.5 Camry, when u go down hill, it goes over the limit, but goes back to the normal speed once your on a straight road.

I wouldnt really pay much attention to it.

Keep it mind that even though your using cruise control, you still have to look at the speedomitor and obviously the road.