Whats with my crap fuel economy....

Hey all,

I've never really paid a great deal of attention to fuel economy, but it never has seemed as good as the 9.9L/100KM or even some of the fuel economies listed in the "lets compare fuel economy" thread.

So i filled up the tank to the absolute brim, probably put a few more liters past the cutoff point, and reset the trip meter, now the fuel sign came on about a day ago and since then i have driven about 50kms, but the trip meter only reads 450km and assuming there is about 10L left if i ran it to dry i would get about 530-550kms out of a full 70L tank.

Any idea whats going on? i don't really drive the car hard, sometimes i put my foot down but generally when taking off from lights its always under 3000RPM and my tyres are at 45PSI

I realise the 9.9L is for freeway and city driving combined but even so i should be getting more out of a tank, right?

Cheers

If you are saying you are getting the Low Fuel Light on at 450 km, then your car is doing about 12.5L/100Km.

The Aurion is made to light up when about 55-56 Litres has been used, and the range is also calculated to hit zero just a short time after that.

Your tyre pressures are way too high!

If you read the sidewall of your tyre, your maximum tyre pressure is most probably 51PSI. When you are driving at high speeds, the pressures in your tyre is most probably approaching that maximum rating, and you are risking a tyre failure, and also uneven, and greater wear.

Recommended: 37-38psi

Go to these links:

Aurion Tyre Pressure Topic

Want to improve you Aurion's Fuel Economy

Average Aurion Fuel Consumption

Hey all,

I've never really paid a great deal of attention to fuel economy, but it never has seemed as good as the 9.9L/100KM or even some of the fuel economies listed in the "lets compare fuel economy" thread.

So i filled up the tank to the absolute brim, probably put a few more liters past the cutoff point, and reset the trip meter, now the fuel sign came on about a day ago and since then i have driven about 50kms, but the trip meter only reads 450km and assuming there is about 10L left if i ran it to dry i would get about 530-550kms out of a full 70L tank.

Any idea whats going on? i don't really drive the car hard, sometimes i put my foot down but generally when taking off from lights its always under 3000RPM and my tyres are at 45PSI

I realise the 9.9L is for freeway and city driving combined but even so i should be getting more out of a tank, right?

Cheers

550KM sounds about right.

And for the tyre pressure at 45PSI. That is too high man! If you look on the side of the tyre it even says MAX 44PSI. Drop it down! Unless you are running small 'light truck' tyres, 45PSI is too much.

Have a read of http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28034 Aurion Tyre Pressure

I just pumped my tyres to 38 front and 37 back and this is perfect. At 45 psi you will reduce braking distance and also (I just got a deja vu) in rain it can be dangerous.

edit: Beaten. <_<

Edited by unique

If you read the sidewall of your tyre, your maximum tyre pressure is most probably 51PSI.

Are you sure? On mine they say 44PSI.

You are reaching the tyres maximum pressure. You are putting too much stress on the tyre. Lower it soon.

If you are saying you are getting the Low Fuel Light on at 450 km, then your car is doing about 12.5L/100Km.

The Aurion is made to light up when about 55-56 Litres has been used, and the range is also calculated to hit zero just a short time after that.

If you read the sidewall of your tyre, your maximum tyre pressure is most probably 51PSI. When you are driving at high speeds, the pressures in your tyre is most probably approaching that maximum rating, and you are risking a tyre failure, and also uneven, and greater wear.

Go to these links:

Hey thanks for the reply,

I got the low fuel like at 400KM so its more like 13.75 which is pretty high...

As for the tyres, the Max Psi is 55 or 58 can't quite remember. I normally pump them up at 42psi but decided to see how it is at 45psi

Cheers

Go to these links:

Hey thanks for the reply,

I got the low fuel like at 400KM so its more like 13.75 which is pretty high...

As for the tyres, the Max Psi is 55 or 58 can't quite remember. I normally pump them up at 42psi but decided to see how it is at 45psi

Cheers

I know this is cliché but try this: http://www.google.com.au/search?q=improve+petrol+consumption&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

Are you sure? On mine they say 44PSI.

You are reaching the tyres maximum pressure. You are putting too much stress on the tyre. Lower it soon.

It's dependent on the tyre, most manufacturers have a limit of 51 PSI, some do have 44PSI.

What tyres are you running?

Most tyres now for the Aurion have a minimum rating of 44psi. Some tyres do go up to 51psi such as the Bridgestone Adrenalin RE001 but knowing that 37-39psi for the tyres are perfect, theres no need for the 51psi IMO.

It isn't really a matter of "driving it hard" but more a matter of start/stop conditions.

I drive to and from work in peak hour every weekday in start stop suburban Sydney and I am lucky if I get 400km before the fuel light comes on. Then by the time I fill it up I have usually done around 430km and it takes around 58ltrs.

The scan gauge I had plugged in was trained very well to calculate my fuel usage (dont have it plugged in anymore) and I found the Aurion to be at its most efficient when going on a long leg without any stops (like any other car). The lowest mileage I got was 6l/100k.

It is basic physics, google it. The Aurion is no different to every other petrol car out there. There seems to be a perception that the Aurion is good on fuel. I would say it is about average.

I have never averaged over 10 so far, in fact i am normally around 9.4/9.5 and that's just normal driving around western suburbs.

Serious? Are you sure you are in an Aurion?

I have never averaged over 10 so far, in fact i am normally around 9.4/9.5 and that's just normal driving around western suburbs.

Ours will often result at the end of a tank with a tank average of 8.0-10.0 depending on who drives it.

Mainly my wife drives it to work which involves;

Home - School (2 min drive)

School - Her work (10 min drive)

Her work - School (10 min drive)

School - Home (2 minute drive)

All of these transitions involve stopping and starting the engine each time. I hate this fact :angry::angry:

This constant cycle will result in a tank average of approx 12.5 - 13.0

I will usually take it 1-2 days a week to work which is 70min freeway each way which will bring the tank average back down to approx 9.0-10.0

If I take the car to work with me for the week, the tank average will usually be down around 7.0 - 8.0

Steve

Mine varies a bit depending where Im working,. Around the city start stopping hills etc 11 to 12 tank average a few highway runs to the airport 10.5 to 11 tank average. Still way better than a ford. :P

Sydney's a b*tch to drive around. Traffic is almost evrywhere. 12-13l/100km is perfectly normal. Try driving to blue mountain / canberra, I'm sure you'll get a better fuel consumption. Coz I do, and my current fuel consumption is 17 - 18L/100Km. :lol: Raining and 2 much traffic around the city + Need to turn on heater..

Ours will often result at the end of a tank with a tank average of 8.0-10.0 depending on who drives it.

Mainly my wife drives it to work which involves;

Home - School (2 min drive)

School - Her work (10 min drive)

Her work - School (10 min drive)

School - Home (2 minute drive)

All of these transitions involve stopping and starting the engine each time. I hate this fact :angry::angry:

This constant cycle will result in a tank average of approx 12.5 - 13.0

I will usually take it 1-2 days a week to work which is 70min freeway each way which will bring the tank average back down to approx 9.0-10.0

If I take the car to work with me for the week, the tank average will usually be down around 7.0 - 8.0

Steve

That sounds the same as my car. I do a lot of short drives about 80% and 20% semi long drives. A lot of my short drives involve starting, stopping the car and in some cases I get to my destination before the car even even warm up. This is horrible on my average consumption.

And even when I do take the freeway it sucks for fuel consumption as well because I'm always using the freeways when traffic is packed and speeds are constantly fluctuating. Which is why I put in some BP Ultimate, good to be putting in good oil and keep it in tip top condition and it was last me over half a million Km's for sure :) *knock on wood*

Sydney's a b*tch to drive around. Traffic is almost evrywhere. 12-13l/100km is perfectly normal. Try driving to blue mountain / canberra, I'm sure you'll get a better fuel consumption. Coz I do, and my current fuel consumption is 17 - 18L/100Km. :lol: Raining and 2 much traffic around the city + Need to turn on heater..

Wow, and I thought mine was bad. My worst is usually peaking at 14L/100.

Tell that to my 20 Inch wheels and the 2 passengers weighin 200kg all together. But the FC should be good this weekend.. Long and relaxing drive.. xD.

Tell that to my 20 Inch wheels and the 2 passengers weighin 200kg all together. But the FC should be good this weekend.. Long and relaxing drive.. xD.

Your exhaust must be adding a bit aswell yea??

Your exhaust must be adding a bit aswell yea??

Maybe.. But I wanna believe they're not.. There were several times I had my old figure. I believe it's bcoz of rainy and bad traffics + air con. Will confirm and verify it this weekend. Been a while since I did my tyre pressures too.. :o