Power steering fluid slightly low.

The power steering is running a tiny bit lower from the full mark. Probably about half a CM (just maybe a tiny bit less). Since its only a little bit off from the full mark should I top up a little to bring it to level or should I just flush it out completely and give it a service since its never been done anyway.

Also, which fluid do I use? I want to get it from the dealer. Last time I asked at the dealer for power steering fluid the parts guy said they don't sell them in bottles? Not sure if he was correct or not.

Thanks.

Mate, there is about 1 cm between the 'full' and 'low' marks. You fluid then should be between these two marks which is acceptable. That's why they have a low and full mark.

You can top it up if you really want to, but it's up to you. So long as it is somewhere between the low and full level when cold or hot (check the appropriate marking) you are more then fine.

At your currently mileage, a power steering flush isn't a bad idea, but it's not absolutely necessary. The type of fluid you use is a personal preference thing as well. As long as it is a Dexron 3 or greater fluid, you will be fine.

Mate, there is about 1 cm between the 'full' and 'low' marks. You fluid then should be between these two marks which is acceptable. That's why they have a low and full mark.

You can top it up if you really want to, but it's up to you. So long as it is somewhere between the low and full level when cold or hot (check the appropriate marking) you are more then fine.

At your currently mileage, a power steering flush isn't a bad idea, but it's not absolutely necessary. The type of fluid you use is a personal preference thing as well. As long as it is a Dexron 3 or greater fluid, you will be fine.

Thanks for the help.

Yeah I'm aware of the hot & cold part. I checked twice each morning so I know that the engine is well and truly cold and the fluid was just below the FULL mark (for cold of course).

How much should I expect to pay for a power steering fluid change?

Hi, just called two dealers for power steering fluid, neither stock genuine fluid. Apparently toyota does not have its own genuine fluid for power steering fluid. why is that?

edit: anyone have any good recommendations for a quality power steering fluid?

would this stuff be okay? I really don't want to be putting in the wrong oil http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/specialty-automotive-products/power_steering_fluid

Edited by unique

Hi, just called two dealers for power steering fluid, neither stock genuine fluid. Apparently toyota does not have its own genuine fluid for power steering fluid. why is that?

would this stuff be okay? I really don't want to be putting in the wrong oil http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/specialty-automotive-products/power_steering_fluid

Mate the reason they are telling you there is no genuine fluid is because all the power steering uses is your every day DEXRON II or III automatic transmission fluid.What ever fluid you change to and use, make sure its compatible with the originally used auto fluid ( DEXRON ) as chances are you wont get every last drop out on replacement, and if the new fluid is not compatible,you will cause more trouble than its worth

Mate the reason they are telling you there is no genuine fluid is because all the power steering uses is your every day DEXRON II or III automatic transmission fluid.What ever fluid you change to and use, make sure its compatible with the originally used auto fluid ( DEXRON ) as chances are you wont get every last drop out on replacement, and if the new fluid is not compatible,you will cause more trouble than its worth

Thanks mate. I'll be then changing with this: http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/automatic-transmission-oils/atf_dx-iii

Hope its okay since it is a ATF DX III.

I've decided I'm going to do the flush myself. How much ATF fluid do I need to use after a flush, it does not mention on the owners manual.

edit: Also, which is the better method?

1. Remove the return hose and turn steering wheel left right to flush it out.

2. Suck out the fluid without DC'ing the hoses but again move the steering left right so oil gets back into its reservoir to be sucked out?

I'm guessing the second option would be the cleanest :lol:

Cheers.

Edited by unique

How much ATF fluid do I need to use after a flush

Once it is all drained, you will be looking at around 500mL-750mL to completely fill it all up again. I buy my PS fluid in a 5 litre bottle so I can flush it a couple of times.

edit: Also, which is the better method?

1. Remove the return hose and turn steering wheel left right to flush it out.

2. Suck out the fluid without DC'ing the hoses but again move the steering left right so oil gets back into its reservoir to be sucked out?

I'm guessing the second option would be the cleanest :lol:

Option one would be the best. This is what I've written up before:

Sorry to slightly hijack but im having the same heavy issue. And i know something is wrong cause my bf's SX is way lighter then mine. So how do you flush out the P/S?

Suck all of the old fluid out of the reservoir, top it up with new fluid, start the engine and rotate the wheel to full lock a few times, turn the engine off and repeat until you've used the bottle.

That method can do the job, but its just diluting down old fluid till it's changed... and can take a while to get it completely swapped. Not that I'm saying it's a bad method, but I guess it depends on how serious you are about it.

My method is to jack the front of the car up, then lay out some old rags under the front of the car and the PS reservoir (process can get messy). Then (with the car off) disconnect the power steering fluid return line from the cooling loop at the front of the car and let it drain into an old container. Try and keep the disconnected ends aimed into the container then go and turn your steering wheel from lock-to-lock (still with the car off of course) a few times or so, holding it on lock for a few seconds each time.

Then connect the pipes back up and top up your PS reservoir with new fluid. Then, while leaving a funnel in the PS reservoir, have a bottle of PS fluid in hand, start your engine, then quickly be prepared to top up the reservoir as the fluid is taken from it. Once it's to the point that the fluid in the reservoir remains level, put the cap back on the reservoir and turn your steering wheel from lock-to-lock making sure that you go slow as you reach the end then gently and very, very briefly tap the stop at the end. You will hear your revs increase slightly. Make sure you don't old it at the end... just a tap quicker than a second is all you need.

Once you have done one lock-to-lock of the wheel, check the level in the reservoir to make sure it is on (hot) low or above. If lower, top it up till it is on (hot) low. Then go back to the steering wheel and turn from lock-to-lock several times and then turn off your engine.

From here, you can do one of two things:

1) Repeat the draining procedure. This is if you really want to flush the system. I would personally do this as PS fluid is not expensive and this is not that time consuming. Or

2) Lower the front of your car back onto the ground and top your PS reservoir up between hot low and hot full.

That's my way of explaining it. As you can see, I'm not great with written instruction.

Great instructions man. I'll have this handy with me when doing it, but during the initial turning of the steering, since you are emptying the oil should the car be running? I read somewhere that to just leave the key on the ON position but NOT to turn the car on while locking the steering to flush it out.

Great instructions man. I'll have this handy with me when doing it, but during the initial turning of the steering, since you are emptying the oil should the car be running? I read somewhere that to just leave the key on the ON position but NOT to turn the car on while locking the steering to flush it out.

You can if you want to, but I usually advise against having the engine running when you are flushing the PS fluid. Following the instructions I have given will flush most of it out anyway. There is this pretty neat thing that happens... it's called siphoning.

If you really want to be anal, you can get a basic key cut (not the transponder key that you normally use), and when your return line is disconnected, you turn the key from ON to START for a few seconds or more. This is turn the PS steering pump with the aid of the starter motor only but won't have the engine running because the engine doesn't start with a basic key like that.

But realistically, you don't have to go that far.

You can if you want to, but I usually advise against having the engine running when you are flushing the PS fluid. Following the instructions I have given will flush most of it out anyway. There is this pretty neat thing that happens... it's called siphoning.

If you really want to be anal, you can get a basic key cut (not the transponder key that you normally use), and when your return line is disconnected, you turn the key from ON to START for a few seconds or more. This is turn the PS steering pump with the aid of the starter motor only but won't have the engine running because the engine doesn't start with a basic key like that.

But realistically, you don't have to go that far.

Thats pretty innovative :lol:

Thanks for the help!

• 1 month later...

I have a question to add to this. I own a 2003 Camry V6. My powersteering fluid was very low, so I topped it up myself yesterday with the ATF Dexron 3 (as per the manual). However on checking my servicing history later that same day (yesterday) I discovered that last year only 'normal' powersteering fluid was used by the mechanic (not Toyota). My question is, can the ATF Dexron 3 be added as a topup to the remainder of the powersteering fluid (which was not ATF Dexron 3) or do these two not mix (in which case I assume I would need to do a flush and get rid of it all)? Thanks for your help.

I have a question to add to this. I own a 2003 Camry V6. My powersteering fluid was very low, so I topped it up myself yesterday with the ATF Dexron 3 (as per the manual). However on checking my servicing history later that same day (yesterday) I discovered that last year only 'normal' powersteering fluid was used by the mechanic (not Toyota). My question is, can the ATF Dexron 3 be added as a topup to the remainder of the powersteering fluid (which was not ATF Dexron 3) or do these two not mix (in which case I assume I would need to do a flush and get rid of it all)? Thanks for your help.

You only need to ask questions like this once. We can hear you the first time. I posted the answer in your new thread.

Powersteering fluid topup

I just replied to this on the Camry Forum....

Double post.......