Engine Oil Winner (Royal Purple & Nulon)

and please remember to read the pdf in http://www.royalpurple.com.au/article_images/oil_test_article.pdf?ptl=hot_rod_article.php?ptl=articles_oil_supplement.php (Right click, save as target) , Most of the bands failed to protected the engine in high pressure except Royal purple. It can truly protect the engine, i have no information on nulon

Edited by ben yip

You're aware Street Commodores printed a retraction in one of their following issues about that oil test as the test they used is meant for testing grease and not oil? There's tons of info out there shooting down that article explaining why it's not an appropriate test to show the quality of engine oils.

Just do what the mining, farming, construction and heavy machinary industries do; used oil analysis. Means a whole lot more than saying you used x oil and changed it every x,000 km. Costs are pretty cheap and they can work out how long you can go before changing oil, so potentially saves you money from extra unnecessary oil changes.

You're aware Street Commodores printed a retraction in one of their following issues about that oil test as the test they used is meant for testing grease and not oil? There's tons of info out there shooting down that article explaining why it's not an appropriate test to show the quality of engine oils.

Can you provide more details? Where can I find those articles.

Can you provide more details? Where can I find those articles.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=1&Number=1093073&Searchpage=1&Main=84124&Words=%2BStreet+%2BCommodores+%2BOil+&topic=0&Search=true#Post1093073

Just do what the mining, farming, construction and heavy machinary industries do; used oil analysis. Means a whole lot more than saying you used x oil and changed it every x,000 km. Costs are pretty cheap and they can work out how long you can go before changing oil, so potentially saves you money from extra unnecessary oil changes.

i wanted to do exactly this... but there isnt any in melb! :(

Duy, http://www.lubetech.com.au (QLD based - highly reputable). They have many interstate clients as well.

I have also been informed by my private oil supplier that he knows of a Melbourne based one in Uppper Heidelberg area.

Duy, http://www.lubetech.com.au (QLD based - highly reputable). They have many interstate clients as well.

I have also been informed by my private oil supplier that he knows of a Melbourne based one in Uppper Heidelberg area.

thanks man i'll look into it :toast:

after thinking about it, maybe its not as accurate as they published... i myself haven't tried royal purplr but am i willing to dish out 78 bucks each 5k for the oil change? or do every 6 months regardless my mileage...?

after thinking about it, maybe its not as accurate as they published... i myself haven't tried royal purplr but am i willing to dish out 78 bucks each 5k for the oil change? or do every 6 months regardless my mileage...?

$78 for RP... per quart (0.96L) or for 5L?

I would do the change oil according to mileage.

Before yall go rooting for Royal Purple and 5h!t, read the following ............

Truth in Advertising: BP v. Royal Purple

http://65.112.166/showthread.php?t=244401

http://www.300cforumz.com/showthread.php?t=64063

and for all the lazy readers out there, it just means that Royal Purple's claims of being better than most lubricants out there are unfounded after genuine "independent" test done as requested after BP Lubricants USA brought this matter to court sometime early last year.

RP subsequently retracted all advertising materials stating they are better :lol: :lol: :lol:

But an interesting note by a forum member below who claims to be working for BP ..... :whistling:

http://www.300cforumz.com/showpost.php?p=368732&postcount=9

Before yall go rooting for Royal Purple and 5h!t, read the following ............

Truth in Advertising: BP v. Royal Purple

http://65.112.166/sh...ad.php?t=244401

http://www.300cforum...ead.php?t=64063

and for all the lazy readers out there, it just means that Royal Purple's claims of being better than most lubricants out there are unfounded after genuine "independent" test done as requested after BP Lubricants USA brought this matter to court sometime early last year.

RP subsequently retracted all advertising materials stating they are better laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

But an interesting note by a forum member below who claims to be working for BP ..... whistling.gif

http://www.300cforum...732&postcount=9

Guni , you are a legend !!

This applies to me "and for all the lazy readers out there". laugh.gif As much as i want to click and read an all the links you posted i doubt i would have completed reading everything .. Thanks for the Summary .. Saves me reading .. wink.gif

Guni , you are a legend !!

This applies to me "and for all the lazy readers out there". laugh.gif As much as i want to click and read an all the links you posted i doubt i would have completed reading everything .. Thanks for the Summary .. Saves me reading .. wink.gif

Hahahahhah

More chats from other forums about this ....

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/truth-advertising-bp-v-royal-purple-110003.html?amp;t=110003

I'm not on the bandwagon i was just saying that it can be bought cheaper, but hell, i love Penrite SIN oils and have used the HPR stuff for years up until the charger was put on. I'm not gunna go using something more expensive that i don't know is better.

I'm not on the bandwagon i was just saying that it can be bought cheaper, but hell, i love Penrite SIN oils and have used the HPR stuff for years up until the charger was put on. I'm not gunna go using something more expensive that i don't know is better.

I was using RP for a bit till I saw that. Can't say I blame ya but not worth the money if its only that 0.9% or thereabouts. I'm considering alternatives .....

Infact, Castrol Edge Sport when its cheap :spiteful:

:P :P :P :P :P

I normally use the Castrol but always questioned the fact it was around $50 -60 RRP for Syn oil when others cost $80+ odd.

Watching that test i might stick to the Castrol ..smile.gif .

With my last oil change about 1500km ago i switched to Nulon Gold 10-40 and im not sure if its mind over matter but the car feels like its at a load.

Because my car had done over 100ks it was suggested that 5-30/40 might be too thing and the stick to the 10-30/40..

Usually do 400 odd km on half tank easly but with the oil change it barely gets 400 on 1/2.(driving pattern hasnt changed)

Might switch back to the Castrol but def not getting the RP now after watching that video.Had it shamed all other brands i would have got it but too much $$$$$$$ for not a lot ............

I've worked as a tribologist (background in chemical engineering) and those tests are not valid. Anyone can grab a lubricity testing rig but it is complex to determine the results. Also, that test (and also the dyno runs - that guy needs to learn two words - repeatability and reproducibility) give such little information about the oil that the tests are irrelevant.

As SuperDave pointed out, the only meaningful test of an automotive engine oil is the used oil analysis.

At the end of the day, don't by no-brand oil and don't leave the oil/filter change longer than the log-book says.

I've worked as a tribologist (background in chemical engineering) and those tests are not valid. Anyone can grab a lubricity testing rig but it is complex to determine the results. Also, that test (and also the dyno runs - that guy needs to learn two words - repeatability and reproducibility) give such little information about the oil that the tests are irrelevant.

As SuperDave pointed out, the only meaningful test of an automotive engine oil is the used oil analysis.

At the end of the day, don't by no-brand oil and don't leave the oil/filter change longer than the log-book says.

Fair enough , i wasnt backing 1 oil over another .

My lesson that i learnt was that you couldnt see a massive diff just with a simple oil/filter change when switching brands.Therefore i gathered i dont need to spend $100 for RP where i can just stick to more affordable oils and not be disadvantaged .

I do agree with the more educated ppl that test doesnt paint the whole picture due to variables and its not a controlled experiment in every manner but at the sametime for a simple person that test is easy enough to understand the "value for Money" lesson.

LOL fail. I thought the post I made last night somehow got deleted. Turns out I posted in the wrong thread. Anyways, what I said was:

At the end of the day, you should really take reviews like that, which are intended to reach a large audience with a grain of salt. I personally prefer to go on persona experience and from speaking with those who have been around cars for much longer than myself.

One thing to remember as well is that because something works well for someone else, it doesn't necessarily mean that it will work the same for you. Even with recommendations from a trusted source, you may find that you could end up with a preference towards something completely different all because your engine may just respond slightly different.

Just out of curiousity Daryl, what are you running?

I'm currently using Fuchs Titan Super GTO 10W30. Been using it since my first oil change in the Aurion. I reckon it's a good oil and for about $40 per 5 litre bottle, it's not bad value for a fully synthetic.