Auto vs Manual

if someone has already made a thread on this topic then plz post a link..

alot of ppl say auto drivers are lazy and that manual drivers are more anticipated/aware and they get more of a thrill, y not just buy semi-auto?

share your thoughts

Having driven many examples of both, the best I can do is agree with Mick - each has their own place. There is simply too much a variety of good and bad of both examples that it is entirely a personal opinion and "debates" often end in outright arguing and bitching.

Anyone who makes a decision about someone solely on whatever gearbox they use is a shallow turd and should be treated with the appropriate level of respect and attention (Nil)

Having driven many examples of both, the best I can do is agree with Mick - each has their own place. There is simply too much a variety of good and bad of both examples that it is entirely a personal opinion and "debates" often end in outright arguing and bitching.

Anyone who makes a decision about someone solely on whatever gearbox they use is a shallow turd and should be treated with the appropriate level of respect and attention (Nil)

haha, tru

i agree a manual is a better car to DRIVE... but if you're just going around town, then screw manual... auto all the way...

even better if its the ZF auto box... :P hehe

hmm, a semi auto would b swell then?

manual ftw. driving auto hiace atm at work due to recently having someone rear end me. gotta say.. awesome to drive around all day and not worry about clutching and changing gears

Give me a clutchless sequential 6 speed anyday =)

Automatic is for those that don't want driving to become a labour which manual can sometimes become. Its not about being lazy... Hell some "manual" drivers are lazy eg. Clutch in or slap it into neutral to roll to a stop. Thats lazy compared to your average automatic driver. Old Automatics are slow, their programming and technology aren't aggressive enough but these days the newer and well thought out automatics murder manual cars. Those that say automatic are slow haven't driving an aggressively programmed automatic.

Semi Auto depends on what type, if you're referring to Tiptronic then its based on the Automatic gearbox so when you go into the self shifting mode, its ponderously slow. If you're referring to those like the Sequential, DSG, etc then those are based on a Manual gearbox which are faster.

End of the day, if you want to relax and cruise then why need to go manual for? Pointless...

Automatic drivers that pretend to be manual drivers are lolworthy, going from 1 - 2 - 3 then D or whatever they do, doesn't impress people...

Manual drivers, when you bog down or stall, you look equally idiotic lol

Btw I've only owned manual ;)

Edited by DreadAngel

Aurion 4 the win? 6 speed semi auto :D

Semi Auto depends on what type, if you're referring to Tiptronic then its based on the Automatic gearbox so when you go into the self shifting mode, its ponderously slow. If you're referring to those like the Sequential, DSG, etc then those are based on a Manual gearbox which are faster.

i am not sure.. i was reffering 2 the semi auto of an aurion AT-X...but i think its the Automatic gearbox/Tiptronic..correct me if im wrong

Aurion 4 the win? 6 speed semi auto :D

Nah man. It's still based on an Auto box. A clutchless sequential like DreadAngel was referring to is essentially a manual box where the clutch is controlled by the car... as is the gear shifting mechanism. Just imagine it like a manual car where someone else is doing the clutch work and gear shifting for you.

Automatic drivers that pretend to be manual drivers are lolworthy, going from 1 - 2 - 3 then D or whatever they do, doesn't impress people...

Well, the gears are there for a reason and I do make use of them from time to time especially when controlling speed, certain road surface conditions, I just don't think you can just "lolworthy' all of them. Its all about making full use of the tools that are available. I don't however start from the traffic light in 1 and shift up as the speed goes up - quicker and easier to just leave that in D.

For some reason, when ever I drive my friend's VW GTI, I keep overheating the DSG box and it shuts down..LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

i would say a manual gearbox is a better performer than an auto as the gear ratios enable the engine to accelerate faster, though it requires the driver to use their left hand a lot, whereas the auto is a 'lazy' option.in most cases manual cars are cheaper to buy and run(uses less fuel than autos).i also heard that cars with manual gearboxes tend to last longer than cars fitted with an auto gearbox.semi-auto(sequential)transmissions are now starting to dominate over standards autos in most cars, and it's a good option for those who like to drive in auto mode and also have an option of switching to shift mode when their mood takes them.