Auto tilt side mirrors on reverse mod?

lulchul

Hey guys,

All year Presara's and the facelift ZR6 apparently have the auto tilting of the passenger side mirror when reversing to help view blind spots and achieving a good reverse parallel park.

Found this link on the prius forums, to seemingly add the functionality.

Anyone know if this is possible on other Aurions - Atx, Prodigy, etc.? I'm guessing it wouldn't be the exact part/pcb as documented at the above url, but hopefully someone has or can identify the locally used extra module(s) and wiring the presara has for this capability so we can add it?? (perhaps the whole mirrors themselves are different too, motor inside, etc?)

Also, any chance of the Aurion having this ability as described here in the 2nd point "When doors are locked by remote or key, the mirror will auto fold in. You don't have to manually push the button in the car to fold the mirror after parking too. By adding this module, you can tell your car is lock/unlock from a distance just by looking at the mirrors to see if they are folded or not.

"

Regards

Anyone know if this is possible on other Aurions - Atx, Prodigy, etc.? I'm guessing it wouldn't be the exact part/pcb as documented at the above url, but hopefully someone has or can identify the locally used extra module(s) and wiring the presara has for this capability so we can add it?? (perhaps the whole mirrors themselves are different too, motor inside, etc?)

To achieve this, models with this have a different switch that connects with an "Outer mirror control ECU" that is not on grades without this feature. This ECU connects via CAN to get seat position, reverse status, door status, ignition status and a few others. The mirror also has an additional 4 wires for position.

To achieve this, you would have to design something from scratch (or get hold of what is shown in that thread and adapt it).

Also, any chance of the Aurion having this ability as described here in the 2nd point "When doors are locked by remote or key, the mirror will auto fold in. You don't have to manually push the button in the car to fold the mirror after parking too. By adding this module, you can tell your car is lock/unlock from a distance just by looking at the mirrors to see if they are folded or not."

This would require new parts (new mirror assembly with motor for folding) and new contol circuit. I can't see any grade with this already. Unless someone else finds the info, that means no parts to do this trick. Doesn't the car beep when you lock it?

I would imagine it is possible but you would most likely need to do a fair bit of tinkering (and some custom design) to get it to work... much like in that attached link. If you choose to attempt that, you are on your own sorry. The part number is as follows:

89430-33100 COMPUTER ASSY, OUTER MIRROR CONTROL

Also, any chance of the Aurion having this ability as described here in the 2nd point "When doors are locked by remote or key, the mirror will auto fold in. You don't have to manually push the button in the car to fold the mirror after parking too. By adding this module, you can tell your car is lock/unlock from a distance just by looking at the mirrors to see if they are folded or not.

"

You will firstly have to buy some aftermarket power folding mirrors, and then wire it up with the included wiring harness. Such example would be this one (same fit as the Aurion even though it says Camry):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOTA-camry-power-folding-signal-side-mirror-assembly_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3ef741225dQQitemZ270436213341QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

I would imagine it is possible but you would most likely need to do a fair bit of tinkering (and some custom design) to get it to work... much like in that attached link. If you choose to attempt that, you are on your own sorry. The part number is as follows:

89430-33100 COMPUTER ASSY, OUTER MIRROR CONTROL

"

You will firstly have to buy some aftermarket power folding mirrors, and then wire it up with the included wiring harness. Such example would be this one (same fit as the Aurion even though it says Camry):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOTA-camry-power-folding-signal-side-mirror-assembly_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3ef741225dQQitemZ270436213341QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Yeah, what we said ...

Hmm.. we'll leave it then. Looks too costly and uncertain..

Does the Reverse Camera give folks a bit of assistance at least, on say the far right of the cameras field-of-view, as to see how close you are to the gutter when reverse parallel parking?

Slightly off topic perhaps, but obviously a Presara has the topics functionality. I can't go at the Presara heavy woodgrain presence though, so, to make it more Prodigy looking, is there a way to rip out/replace the centre console wood grain look and replace with the silver plastic as in the Prodigy?, and also the Steering Wheel... just a plain full leather one as with the Prodigy. Any ideas of price?

Thanks

Does the Reverse Camera give folks a bit of assistance at least, on say the far right of the cameras field-of-view, as to see how close you are to the gutter when reverse parallel parking?

To me the camera is best at showing you what you will hit rear-on. For a gutter, the field of view is there, but you have no reference point to know if you are going to hit or not (the factory Sat-Nav should show some green lines to help with predicted path, but I didn't cough up the extra $3,500 for that and the moon roof on a ZR6 [standard on Presara]). The mirrors being best in combo with the camera for a corner hit and the tilt looking down assists with how well you line up in a 90° park (rear to curb). Even with the mirrors down, its not 100% in protecting your rear alloys from getting damaged in a reverse park (parallel to curb).

I was lucky that my previous car had a very flat left hand mirror, so I could see the ground where my rear wheel was when I lifted my head a little, but also gave correct rear view when driving. In 103,000km I did not damage a wheel (but a family member drove it about 1,000km over its life and scratched one wheel and got the windscreen chipped twice [both times needing repair]).

Edited by 450HP/tonne

The Power Fold up mirrors sounds like a good feature to have especially for Carparks and Shopping centres, Would mine getting something like these for the Camry or one that would pretty much be close to the correct size.. Or even better, somehow modify the existing mirrors to have this feature

I realise the consensus was already to can this mod but I just wanted to add that you would have to look at the motor used to control this as well as the lifespan of the current one might be shortened by over use.... Unless it is the same motor, then I would assume they thought of that.

• 3 weeks later...

I realise the consensus was already to can this mod but I just wanted to add that you would have to look at the motor used to control this as well as the lifespan of the current one might be shortened by over use.... Unless it is the same motor, then I would assume they thought of that.

I just asked a slightly similar question in the Corolla forum. My 2010 Corolla has electric folding mirrors that can be folded by pushing a recessed switch, which isn't easy to find unless you look for it. Unless your car park has good lighting, this switch is hard to see at night. It is a flat rectangle flush with the panel and is as wide as my pinky, so not exactly positioned to be used often.

Many overseas cars fold back the mirror housing when switched off, as this also allows people to walk past without bumping them. (The idea of a visual confirmation of locking is also good).

While I am not an electrician, my amateur radio background tells me that a simple relay would do the job of pushing that button when the car is switched off. For anyone who doesn't know what a relay does, think of an electromagnet that pulls a lever to complete a circuit. You can have a relay that only makes the circuit while you hold down a button (power it), or the opposite, where the circuit is always on until you power the relay - like a garage door toggle switch. But I don't know enough to say whether the Toyotas can do this.

Toyota's product managers would have made a conscious decision not to supply this, perhaps to save a buck, or perhaps to make it a future option. I found a random relay here: Alibaba - explore for your particular model.

^ The Aurions, both pre-facelift and facelift, do not come with power folding mirrors. The only motor in them is to control the mirror glass. The only thing useful from that link could possibly be the auto-tilt for when reverse is engaged, but the abilities of that function depend on how well set up the circuit is. Without limit switches/position sensors in the mirror (which is only available on the Presara mirrors), the circuit can only rely on timing alone to adjust the angle of the mirror, which over time will mess up your mirror position... if it even gets it right in the first place.

Hey guys,

All year Presara's and the facelift ZR6 apparently have the auto tilting of the passenger side mirror when reversing to help view blind spots and achieving a good reverse parallel park.

"

Regards

Edited by focusnotfucus

Hey guys,

"

Regards

I still look out the door and over my shoulder even with a reverse camera lol

That's not what this mirror thing is about. This is about the side mirrors tilting downwards so that you can see where your wheels are in relation to the kerb. With your mirrors in their normal position, no amount of looking over your shoulder or out the door is going to help you see the kerb next to your wheels on the passenger side.

Just my 2 cents worth if it helps.We have a 2010 ZR6 with reverse camera,front and rear parking sensors and the auto drop on both driver and passenger external mirrors.And to be honest all the electronic Gizmo,s in the world cant beat turning and using your rear vision mirrors to help reverse

I do know that with the camera once the subject that you are reversing up to is almost at the bottom of the camera screen eg(kerb) you have around 1/2 metre clearance before touching it,also you can turn the auto drop mirrors off by having the electric mirror switch in the centre position,which is where we leave ours, but the moment you put it on Left or Right and put the car in reverse it activates the auto drop function.We also have the heated external rear view mirrors and they work when the rear demister is switched on,and I must say they are one aspect I would recomend on any car,takes less than 30seconds to completely demist mirrors.I read an article some where that the same ECU is used for the seats as well as the mirrors,maybe someone can clarify that;And as for the mirror loosing its adjustment over time, it works in conjunction with our smart start to give the primary position in relation to whatever remote was used to gain entry into the vehicle so I cant really see how it is going to loose adjustment,not like you are reversing every where all day every day, hope that helps you out lulchul,

That's not what this mirror thing is about. This is about the side mirrors tilting downwards so that you can see where your wheels are in relation to the kerb. With your mirrors in their normal position, no amount of looking over your shoulder or out the door is going to help you see the kerb next to your wheels on the passenger side.

oops:blink:

And as for the mirror loosing its adjustment over time, it works in conjunction with our smart start to give the primary position in relation to whatever remote was used to gain entry into the vehicle so I cant really see how it is going to loose adjustment,not like you are reversing every where all day every day, hope that helps you out lulchul,

I don't think you you followed my reply correctly. I'm referring to putting an auto tilt kit on mirrors that weren't designed to that feature. Those Aurions that have the auto tilt have different mirrors to those without. For the auto tilt and position memory, the mirrors require sensors that tell the control ECU what position the mirrors are in. Without these, the aftermarket controller will most likely make its adjustments based on timing. This in turn can lead to innacuracies in its adjustment.

And as for the mirror loosing its adjustment over time, it works in conjunction with our smart start to give the primary position in relation to whatever remote was used to gain entry into the vehicle so I cant really see how it is going to loose adjustment,not like you are reversing every where all day every day, hope that helps you out lulchul,

I don't think you you followed my reply correctly. I'm referring to putting an auto tilt kit on mirrors that weren't designed to that feature. Those Aurions that have the auto tilt have different mirrors to those without. For the auto tilt and position memory, the mirrors require sensors that tell the control ECU what position the mirrors are in. Without these, the aftermarket controller will most likely make its adjustments based on timing. This in turn can lead to innacuracies in its adjustment.

Sorry dude my mistake :whistling::whistling:

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I got the Camry/Solara folding mirrors from the US, the link is on a thread somewhere but the site says they are San Diego CA. but when they arrived it was sent from Taiwan on the postage slip, have not got around to fitting them and have to talk to an auto electrician and go over the wiring with him. They are aftermarket and not genuine and have 4 amber leds for the indicator so if one blow you have to replace the whole indicator part. My standard mirror's adjustment has enough if you switch it to 'L'(naturally) and press the down arrow on the control it tilts the mirror glass enough to see the curb/gutter but it means you have to reset it yourself to the normal driving position as apposed to one that tilts the whole mirror. The rear camera is mainly to see who or what is behind you when reversing, cause it has a fisheye lens the distance and perception is very hard to judge, my Touring has parking sensors but only on the corners of the front and rear bumpers so if something is basically in the middle the sensors will not pick it up, don't know why they didn't include the extra 2 sensors to cover the middle of the bumpers. Cost cutting I guess. As for the Corolla fold back mirrors you could adapt them to fit but it may be a whole custom job and the Corollas work on a switch as mentioned, you can actually drive with them folded back, not sure if a beeper or alarm warns you if they are folded but you have to press the switch to fold them back once you have parked and again to fold them out when you get back in, still handy though. As for the folding mirrors I bought, search 'folding mirror' in the forums and you should find it (DJKOR posted the link from memory), the site claimed the mirrors tilted but they informed me they don't stock the module anymore so I they don't do it, as for wether or not the gear is still in the mirror to do it I won't know until I take the glass out as per the instructions to fit them. (I know you are all telling me to get off my backside and get them done so you can find out.) Who was it that said on here 'there is always something to do or we always find something else to do to our cars. And now that we have the manual to download, that just means we will be altering, modifying and taking appart more of our Aurions.