100,000 KM Service

Hi guys,

I need some opinions and what not...

My 2006 Corolla is due for a 100,000km service. I've gotten 2 quotes from two different Toyota Service centres; One of which I had gone to before.

TSC 1 = $280

TSC 2 = $592

Now, I don't understand why there's a big difference in the quotes for the servioe. Wouldn't they be doing the same thing?

TSC 2 said that they could do it for $280 but that it wouldn't include spark plugs/rotate and balance of wheels or oil flush.

I guess I just don't want to be forking out money when unnecessary etc ... I don't want to get ripped off simply because I'm a chic.

Now, on another issue...

The other day my car wouldn't start. The way it happened led me to believe that it was the alternator or something ... but here's what happened.

I got in the car [first use of the car for the whole day]. Started the car and drove to my destination. I drove non-stop for about 15mins before I got to where I needed to be.

I turned the ignition off. Got out of the car and walked off. Literally less than a minute, I walked back to my car. Got in and started the car ... at least, I tried to start it. The lights came on and there was a little bit of charge, but not enough to start the car.

I waited about an hour before trying again but it still wouldn't start. So I had to get a jump start from a guy. When I jump started it, it was simply for a start. I didn't have to charge the battery a little while before it could start.

Anyway, what do you think the problem is?

TSC 1 says that he thinks it's the battery and if so, that would cost me $170.

TSC 2 says he would rather diagnose the problem in the garage first.

I'm asking simply because I don't want to get ripped off. So I'd like to know enough info etc.

Thanks guys. I know it's pretty long ... but your opinions will be appreciated :)

Hi guys,

I need some opinions and what not...

My 2006 Corolla is due for a 100,000km service. I've gotten 2 quotes from two different Toyota Service centres; One of which I had gone to before.

TSC 1 = $280

TSC 2 = $592

Now, I don't understand why there's a big difference in the quotes for the servioe. Wouldn't they be doing the same thing?

TSC 2 said that they could do it for $280 but that it wouldn't include spark plugs/rotate and balance of wheels or oil flush.

I guess I just don't want to be forking out money when unnecessary etc ... I don't want to get ripped off simply because I'm a chic.

Now, on another issue...

The other day my car wouldn't start. The way it happened led me to believe that it was the alternator or something ... but here's what happened.

I got in the car [first use of the car for the whole day]. Started the car and drove to my destination. I drove non-stop for about 15mins before I got to where I needed to be.

I turned the ignition off. Got out of the car and walked off. Literally less than a minute, I walked back to my car. Got in and started the car ... at least, I tried to start it. The lights came on and there was a little bit of charge, but not enough to start the car.

I waited about an hour before trying again but it still wouldn't start. So I had to get a jump start from a guy. When I jump started it, it was simply for a start. I didn't have to charge the battery a little while before it could start.

Anyway, what do you think the problem is?

TSC 1 says that he thinks it's the battery and if so, that would cost me $170.

TSC 2 says he would rather diagnose the problem in the garage first.

I'm asking simply because I don't want to get ripped off. So I'd like to know enough info etc.

Thanks guys. I know it's pretty long ... but your opinions will be appreciated :)

To answer the first question, a Log Book service is to be followed exactly by what's in the log book, if TSC 1 claimed they will do everything listed in the log book, which specifically says spark plugs, oil filter(and oil) and rotate and balance(this one is iffy, I don't recall it being a req after the 3 years), they must do them.

If TSC 2 will do the service but wont include oil, spark plugs or tyres... LOL.. they're planning on driving the car in, inflating the tyres and giving it back to you for $280. They are simply trying to rip you off because you are a woman from what I can see as the things they won't do are the first and most vital things in a high KM service.

In regards to your battery issue, it is apparent you do need a new battery, however the alternator is questionable, has it happened since? Do you get any suspicious lights in your dash?

$170 for a battery is a bit steep to be honest with you, I'm under the impression NRMA Batteries would even be cheaper... But if you trust the service center by all means, rough range for a battery is between 100 to 150 to give you an idea.

Hope this gives you a bit of a clearer idea of what you want to do. Just don't get sold by the second service center if they're literally not going to do anything to the car.

Hey, my mum just got a 100,000km service for her zze but hers is a 03 model. In the log book the only real thing to do was for oil and oil filter. It was every 40,000km that gets things such as spark plugs, engine coolant etc etc changed. It should be in your log book.

For the battery, it shouldnt cost that much i reckon. If anything go to a local mechanic. I find them to be alot more better.

i do my own servicing because i get a discounted price on parts and oil etc, but engine oil filter, possibly gearbox and spark plugs all that needs changing, that was according to my 2zzzge,

if your in sydney aaa tyres in villawood have great batteries and under 100$ bucks!

Appreciating the tips :)

TSC 1 just emailed me back and said that his quote does include parts, fluids and labour.

As for the alternator/battery issue ... he states

"A replacement alternator, parts and labour would $805.00 and a replacement starter motor $455.00 incl labour."

I don't know if that sounds about right.

I've been thinking of going to a non TSC to do my servicing but haven't been quite sure if that'd be good for my car? If there's no harm in going to a non Toyota Service Centre for my services, I might as well go and get a few other quotes.

Ta guys.

most ppl i no dont go to toyota cuz of price. local mechanis can still log book service and stamp but make sure you tell them to use genuine parts if you still have warranty so they should use toyot aoil fitler and not a ryco

Toyota battery = $125

Ultra High Performance battery = $165

A mechanic can test your current battery to find out the condition of it. If its good, then it might be the alternator. Everything is connected together and a good mechanic can isolate the problem upon inspection and test driving.

Sounds like the service advisor is ripping you off from your post.

I was charged $319 in May this year for the following:

Change engine oil+filter (oil supplied by me).

Change manual transmission oil (oil supplied by me).

Change Sparkplugs (IK20 - denso iridium power).

Battery test.

Wheel rotation, but they failed at alignment saying my car was too low. It was only a 35mm drop from stock height.

All I can say is that I won't be going back to the Toyota service centre (SC) in the inner west side of Melbourne, as i got a few things for free:

They blasted my ITG pod filter on my cai full of water from a hose - they said it was leaking oil (douche bag mechanic should of known its meant to be an oiled filter).

Also engine sprayed the crap out of my engine bay, leaving detergent residue and wetting my HID terminals. What a stooge of a mechanic, because i keep my engine bay spotless using a damp cloth at home.

Slipped in a fuel conditioner ($19), which I have no idea what it does. FFS, i feel up on BP Ultimate all the time. Ever since, I had the car serviced there, my mileage went out the window only able to do just under 480kms on a full tank with prob 15 litres left. I was doing 70kms on average with still 1/4 tank left. Since, then I resetted the ECU, and did my best to flush out that fuel conditoner after about 4 fill ups. Since, last weeks GOR cruise, I did 430kms with the Varex exhaust fully open, spirited driving and was still sitting just under half a tank of petrol!

99.99% sure my engine oil (Amsoil RD30) I had supplied them was not used. The red dye was inexistent when i came to pick up my car and also the mechanic telling me they ended up using all 5 bottles (0.96 litres each). Lies and more lies i tell you. car would take approx 4.7 litres inclduing the oil that goes into the oil filter. If they used all bottles, then my dipstick would be past its max marker. But when i checked it was spot on.

2 Weeks ago, my local mechanic did another change oil for me. Even after 2 days (approx 150kms travelled), the red dye in the Amsoil RD30 was still existent. Also, I still had 1/3 of oil left in the 5th bottle. When the dye finally burns off, the oil colour is more of a clear transparent honeycomb colour compared to the Mobil 1 oil the toyota mechanic had used which was more of a deeper honeycomb colour. Also both oils smell differently too. Since last weeks GOR cruise, dye has fully gone. Now for a fact that the 0.01% of doubt I had in regards to my service in May, confirms to me and my local mechanic that the Toyota apprentice mechanic had definitely stolen my supplied oil.

Also, they put a dent in my front left passenger door, most likely from their 60 degree sloped gravel customer parking bays.

Lastly, they scraped my entire front lip from them test driving after service. I noticed this when i removed the front bumper at home to inspect my air filter which they blasted with water, as i cleaned it properly and re-oiled it after it was dry. Service advisor lied to me that they didnt touch it, after i over heard the mechanic say "his air filter has oil in it" so he hosed it down.

Anyway if you are in Victoria, I would simply avoid servicing your car at the toyota SC (inner west side of melb), due to my own negative experience with them negligently treating my car as if it was a hire car. If you feel you are being ripped off, best thing to do is to go elsewhere and find a local mechanic or even another Toyota SC you can trust.

I have heard that Cannon Toyota in Camberwell - Victoria, is well-known to have excellent customer service, no hard selling and offer competitive prices both on servicing and products. They have been the top toyota service centre and dealership voted by consumers since they opened in 2001.

Appreciating the tips :)

TSC 1 just emailed me back and said that his quote does include parts, fluids and labour.

As for the alternator/battery issue ... he states

"A replacement alternator, parts and labour would $805.00 and a replacement starter motor $455.00 incl labour."

I don't know if that sounds about right.

I've been thinking of going to a non TSC to do my servicing but haven't been quite sure if that'd be good for my car? If there's no harm in going to a non Toyota Service Centre for my services, I might as well go and get a few other quotes.

Ta guys.

Looking at the age of your car... 07, I am highly highly doubting your alternator or starter motor to be honest with you... Having said that, those prices are rediculous.

Getting your car serviced at workshop you trust is a better option for you to save money and you arent exactly treated like just a number, the guys name is at stake and it will be clear who worked on the car, you can even buy the genuine parts you require from the toyota parts center(Simply follow your log book) and just take them to the mechanic, the other day I purchased spark plugs, oil filter and fuel filter from toyota for only $120, add a good quality oil, 5L for say, $50 max from Supercheap, the mechanic should only charge maybe one or two hours labour, roughly $55-$80 an hour at most. You're looking at alot more done for a lot less. :)

Thank you all for your bits of info...

I'm in Sydney's Western Suburbs ... so if anyone knows of a reliable and honest mechanic out this way, please be so kind as to share :D ...

I think I might ask around as well. I like the idea of buying the parts myself and getting a mechanic to do the job ... I didn't think about that.

I'm in Sydney's Western Suburbs ... so if anyone knows of a reliable and honest mechanic out this way, please be so kind as to share :D ...

I think I might ask around as well. I like the idea of buying the parts myself and getting a mechanic to do the job ... I didn't think about that.

The way I see it, it's a way for you to get familiar with your car, who knows, soon you might pop on the overalls and DIY :P :lol:

The way I see it, it's a way for you to get familiar with your car, who knows, soon you might pop on the overalls and DIY :P :lol:

LOL. I don't know about actually doing it myself ... but I definitely like to know how things work.

I have cousins and uncles who are very good with cars. They've all showed me a thing or two ...

And despite my ex hubby being pretty shonky with cars, I watched him practically do everything. From changing the oil filter to changing suspensions to changing tyres.

But I am comfortable to leave that type of work to the guy.

Also get a Quote from Terry Shields Toyota (Parramatta) and Stewart Toyota (Rockdale/sutherland)

where abouts in western subs?

and which toyota have you gone too?

I'm in St Marys. And got the quote from Penrith Toyota and Lander [blacktown] Toyota.

TSC1 = Penrith

TSC2 = Blacktown

yeah .... um ..... my personal note is blacktown lander toyota WILL NEVER touch a car that i own ...... just a word of warning.

i'd highly recommend getting a quote from castle hill toyota as their service is pretty good.

Ok ... before heading out today, my car would not start again.

Except this time, I heard a little 'clunky' sound at the end of trying to start it. Once I got my car running, I noticed that the radio presets had been resetted [something that hadn't happened the other time that the car wouldn't start] .......... Does that give any more indication of where the problem may be??

Ok ... before heading out today, my car would not start again.

Except this time, I heard a little 'clunky' sound at the end of trying to start it. Once I got my car running, I noticed that the radio presets had been resetted [something that hadn't happened the other time that the car wouldn't start] .......... Does that give any more indication of where the problem may be??

dead battery?

dead battery?

It wasn't dead though ... just didn't have enough charge to start the car. And I heard a little 'clunk' right after i tried to start it.

It wasn't dead though ... just didn't have enough charge to start the car. And I heard a little 'clunk' right after i tried to start it.

Maybe its time to replace it with a new one, as your current battery is not holding charge.

Maybe its time to replace it with a new one, as your current battery is not holding charge.

:) .... thanks.

I tend to think the worst :)

• 3 weeks later...

Your alternator is going. You can either have it reconditioned by an auto-electrician or have it replaced with a new unit by a mechanic, either option is good but the reco will be cheaper. As far as servicing the vehicle at 100,000km goes if you don't need Toyota to do it don't im sure a reputable workshop can carry out the same job for a much better price and leave you with more money and more satisfaction.

Cheers

Your alternator is going. You can either have it reconditioned by an auto-electrician or have it replaced with a new unit by a mechanic, either option is good but the reco will be cheaper. As far as servicing the vehicle at 100,000km goes if you don't need Toyota to do it don't im sure a reputable workshop can carry out the same job for a much better price and leave you with more money and more satisfaction.

Cheers

*sigh* ... Toyota quoted me $805 for a new "alternator, parts and labour". Is that about right ... and does anyone know other places to get Toyota alternators, new or reconditioned?