Cleaning carpet floor mats

Tash

Hey guys, as the title suggests just looking to gain some info from your experiences in cleaning carpet floor mats. I've got a rather nice set (with the metal stamped "Sportivo" on them, technically they're Aurion floor mats) but winter has had its effect and there is a little bit of mud/dirt in them and the metal stamp is looking dull. Now I figure I can take to the metal stamp with a bit of car wash and hard scrubbing and then maybe something like a chrome polish or Ultimate Quik Detailer to really bring back its shine.

What about the actual fabric mats?? I have heard of people putting them in the washing machine and am thinking of doing this myself as mine doesn't have an agitator in the middle. Otherwise I have some Meg's Upholstery cleaner (I cannot remember its exact name), so could use that, or just scrub it out with soapy water. Pro tips anyone?

I've used the Armor All Carpet + Upholstery Cleaner (http://www.armorall.com.au/Content.aspx?id=95) to good effect, but it's time consuming because you have to blot it all away. It gets rid of flat white and yoghurt with no trouble.

However, if you don't need the mats for a day use the Armor All stuff, but rather than blotting it out blast it with the high pressure hose at the nearest car wash instead. The AA stuff agitates the dirt + stuff and the hose seems to get rid of it all.

My mats are due for a blasting, now that you mention it.

Cheers for the suggestions Andrew & Daryl, I guess either way a fair bit of elbow grease is going to be involved!

I steam cleaned mine few weeks ago. The Aurion stitching on them was all black but after giving it a very heavy duty steam clean with heaps of nice smelling chemicals that also remove stains the white stitching is back to clean white and no longer black, it also made the rest of the floor mats clean as anything.

I steam cleaned mine few weeks ago. The Aurion stitching on them was all black but after giving it a very heavy duty steam clean with heaps of nice smelling chemicals that also remove stains the white stitching is back to clean white and no longer black, it also made the rest of the floor mats clean as anything.

Aha, that hadn't entered into my head, although I'm not quite sure how I'd achieve it, unless I could use a good old steam mop?

Aha, that hadn't entered into my head, although I'm not quite sure how I'd achieve it, unless I could use a good old steam mop?

Do they still have the hire ones at Woolworths? I didn't use that though, we have a $4500 machine lol. To be honest though, if you have never steam cleaned your car like carpet and seats it would be good to do it. You would seriously be surprised how rejuvenated your cars interior looks and feels.

Not cleaning the material is like never cleaning your clothes and just wearing the same ones everyday.

Not cleaning the material is like never cleaning your clothes and just wearing the same ones everyday.

damn i knoew there was a reason why people would run away from me! :P

liking the idea of steam cleaning.. any recommendations for a cheap cleaner thou? lol

damn i knoew there was a reason why people would run away from me! :P

liking the idea of steam cleaning.. any recommendations for a cheap cleaner thou? lol

The youtube link given is great, even the cleanest looking cars the water can look like that! As you can see how much crap comes out. Think of it like sweeping and hosing down your drive way, sweeping does clean it up, but when you hose is down you see all the mud washing off the cement.

Sweat, smell, dirt, grime steam cleaning will get rid of it. People use products and wipe it off but really all that is doing is collecting some on the cloth and the rest is getting pushed in the material because its not getting sucked up.

Though for someone like you davo who keeps the car clean, I would say do it every one and a half years to two years.

I agree with unique. I'm a bit anal with keeping my car clean so the carpet vacuum didn't pick that much up (although the water was still a little brown) but I cleaned my brothers 94 accord and it took 8-10 passes on the same stretch of fabric for the water to not come out brown.

I think it is not only good for the look of the car but also your own personal health - particularly if you spend a lot of time in your car.