Lost License...

Hey all,

Well I managed to have quite a **** day... Lost my license, thought I'd speak to a few of you for some advice though first. I know, I know the police are only doing their job, and fair enough too. Below is what unfortunately happened....

Was detected doing 90km/h in a "new" 60km/h zone around the corner from my work... Quite used to the area being 80km/h and yes I was still speeding but quite a bit more then I thought. Lost my license for 1 month regardless due to excessive speed and $328 fine + 4 demerit points.

On top of that I had no "p" plates displayed as I was driving my mates van In the morning and didn't want to get a fine for no plates being up but forgot to swap them back (I even pointed up to where they usually are when he said "where are your plates ?" and i go "right there" pointing in the top left, followed by "oh sh!@#". A further $119 fine and 3 points...

Looking at 7 points total + $447 in fines.

On top of this my driving history hasn't been to flash and had 1 suspension before this for driving dad's v8 Ute to a job in a rush with no plates up and over the limit and copping again a suspension all in one about 10 months ago.

I get my full license on the 29th Oct Vic Roads have told me and will get it regardless, but my options should be 4 - 5 Months suspension or 12 months good behavior.

However the question is Vic Roads told me that the points get deducted on the day they are lost once paid not the date I pay them, however I've heard other story's where people have waited to get their full license then paid the fines and have them deducted from their now full license and kept it.

At the moment I think I've only got one point left on my license hence the suspension period...

So I guess I've got to now wait 28 days to loose it for a month then wait for my option's letter to then loose it for a further 4 - 5 months or take the 1 golden lucky point scheme.

What's your thoughts guy's & girls... it's been a **** house day for me just round the corner from my birthday and starting a clean slate with my license, let the flaming begin... another stupid "p" plater but we all learn some the hard way I guess... :(

Well I guess s*** happens mate. Time to learn a lesson and move on.

However the question is Vic Roads told me that the points get deducted on the day they are lost once paid not the date I pay them, however I've heard other story's where people have waited to get their full license then paid the fines and have them deducted from their now full license and kept it.

I would be more than certain that this once valid loophole has now been solidly closed ever since discussion of it occured. This loophole was mentioned on ACA or TT some time back, and after that, I would be definitely sure that it no longer happens.

So I guess I've got to now wait 28 days to loose it for a month then wait for my option's letter to then loose it for a further 4 - 5 months or take the 1 golden lucky point scheme.

Up to you mate. Personally, in a situation like this where you know the option to choose letter is going to be on it's way, I'd be aiming to get it over and done with as quick as possible. For me, that would mean paying the fine ASAP so you can start counting the days till you get your licence back.

If you can trust yourself enough, take the 1 year GDB. You learn quite a valuable lesson from it, but that said, the suspension teaches you a hard lesson as well. If you can manage to go without a car for the suspension length though and/or you can't trust that you will change, then the suspension would probably be your better option.

" but we all learn some the hard way I guess..."

Sorry mate but i disagree .. If you had to learn you would have the 1st time around..

I have a friend who had similar story , wasnt a P Plater but got booked with his car , his bike and for various things.The thing is he still speeds and i have told him the next time he losses his DL our friendship is over.I didnt mind carting him around when he couldnt drive but he has to learn.

We all make mistakes and learn from it but the same mistake twice .. dry.gif

I'm sorry , you did say to save the lecture but i couldnt contain it.

I was expecting it so not to worry.... So for everyone that's ever got a speeding fine you all learned from your first fine and have never drove over the limit again ? I'd like to believe that..

Each to their own... I'm thinking of taking the months off again... and starting fresh when I get them back with my full license in I guess 4 or 5 months time.

I'm sure a lot of us have done far worse things In life then loose a license ?

I took the good behaviour license for 12 months here in QLD a few years ago - Not saying I was a hoon when I lost my license, I just overtook a truck on the freeway and got nicked. 4 points doesn't stretch far.

That being said, knowing you only have 1 point (and face a full 12 months suspension if you lose that) forces you to change your driving habits completely and will probably work out better for you in the long run.

I have been driving for four years now and I have never received an infringement and that is including parking fines. It's hard to stay a good boy on the roads because it is so easy to ***** up because it's way too strict.

At the same time it also helps knowing how speed cameras work and red light cameras work because there are too many in Melbourne ;)

One thing that has ALWAYS slowed me down even if I am running late is that I rather be 10 minutes late and follow the speed limit and save myself my licence and money then speeding and being pulled over and having to wait for the cop to take a good 20 minutes to write up a ticket.

When I realise I'm pushing the limit I just repeat to myself something that will make me slow down and calm down and it has paid off.

I was expecting it so not to worry.... So for everyone that's ever got a speeding fine you all learned from your first fine and have never drove over the limit again ? I'd like to believe that..

Each to their own... I'm thinking of taking the months off again... and starting fresh when I get them back with my full license in I guess 4 or 5 months time.

I'm sure a lot of us have done far worse things In life then loose a license ?

Dont get me wrong . I'm not a saint myself and i do make mistakes.

I speed too but at the end of the day you do have see what can be excused and what not..The most i ever do is 75 in a 70 when going to work at 4am and thats not a pattern , its out of need.I will get in a fair bit of problem too when get pulled over doing that but it wont be as bad as doing 20 over the limit.

What i meant before is its silly to make the same mistake more than once..( i know i'm not helping).I did a few real stupid things when i was young so you are right in saying that too.

When you are younger and especially a P Plater is twice as easy to get in trouble.