My first Corolla

Almost a year ago I was after a new car to replace the poor old, worn out, 1979 Ford XD Falcon GL stationwagon, I was driving around with a very tired old 4.1 6 cylinder and auto.

I had a budget of no more then $5000 and one of my friends suggested I have a look at a Corolla SECA SX, and sent me links to a few of them on carsales. The first one I called up about had aftermarket wheels on it and less then 200,000kms, but was already sold by the time I called up. The second one had just clocked over 200,000kms, and was stock asides from tinted windows and a DVD player. I organised to go and take it for a test drive, and being used to an engine that ran out of go at 3,000 rpm, didn't take it above that, but I was still impressed - electric windows, electric mirrors, air-conditioning (didn't have any of these in the old Ford) comfortable seats, it drove, stopped and handled well, and I was sure it would be much better on fuel then my old Ford.

So I put a deposit on it there and then, and then a week or so later he'd organised the RWC, so I went and paid the outstanding amount and picked it up, and took it straight to a mates place, then we both went to the car wash to give it a good clean:

post-21132-128559334764_thumb.jpg

post-21132-128559334987_thumb.jpg

Then in summer, I decided the windows needed to be re-tinted, so I went for a darker tint then was already on there:

post-21132-128559353638_thumb.jpg

After that has just been maintenance, oil and oil filter changes every 5000kms, new brake pads all around, new rotors on the rear (no idea how the old ones passed RWC, the handbrake hardly held the car on a hill and there was a few mm lip on the rear rotors), new leads, put in a set of platinum plugs instead of the supercheap ones that were in.

It came with a pod filter that wasn't installed (obviously wouldn't have passed the RWC with that fitted), so I did fit it for a while, and I liked the sound, but put it back to standard to avoid possible problems with the boys (and gals) in blue.

This video was taken before I removed the pod and put it back to standard:

A few other videos:

<- demo of the current audio setup

<- just after the pod went on

<- quick bit of fun giving it a little curry

I'm VERY happy with it still, great little car and I get a lot of comments on the colour. Also it has surprised many of my friends by being just as quick (and sometimes quicker!) in a straight line as their Falcons (I6s and V8s), and even has no trouble keeping up with a BA XR6 Turbo (4 speed auto) on a twisty road and on a rolling start pulls away until the turbo comes on boost. Not bad for a 1.6L 4 cylinder that still gets great fuel economy (that can't be said about the Falcons)!

I plan on adding a CAI, putting on a decent catback exhaust system, putting in a sub and amp, putting on better wheels and tyres (would love to put a set of simmons V4s on it) and getting a bit more power out of the 4AGE.

Anyway, as and when things get done, I'll update this thread.

Thanks for having a look!

Troy.

• Like 1

I forgot, I also plan on putting in a thicker rear swaybar (after reading this article), and a few driver information modifications, such as a light to tell me when the engine still thinks it's cold (so I'm reminded to not give it a hard time yet), and the fuelsmart and eLabtronics Timer (to allow the electric windows to work for another 60 seconds after the ignition is turned off) projects that are on Autospeed. If anyone has done any of these things, or anything like it, I would appreciate any input you might have. I'm also considering putting a PS2 in the glovebox, connected to the LCD screen, which would be easy seeing as it's a slim PS2, just need to get a suitable inverter.

nice car, takes me back to my youth

whitestivo

Thanks mate!

Edited by TroysRollaSX

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

Not all that much to report on this one, progress has been very slow, but any progress is still progress, right? Although most of it has been maintenance.

I put a pair of new tyres on the front, HUGE improvement.

39583_444641833667_546753667_5445061_1086626_n.jpg

^ Old front tyres. Yup, due to be replaced, no life left in those ^

69823_444648848667_546753667_5445122_1644080_n.jpg

^ New front tyres. Much better ^

The rear rotors have been replaced, all new pads all around, brake fluid flush. Stops much better now.

40408_423866983667_546753667_4994070_5449255_n.jpg

^ Old rear rotor ^

40408_423866978667_546753667_4994069_2216278_n.jpg

^ New rear rotor ^

Clutch fluid flush and new fluid.

CAI has been done, it's a little hobo spec, but still better then the straw it was trying to suck through.

73184_458101878667_546753667_5668842_3493841_n.jpg

^ Home made CAI, does the job ^

Also I did the AE101 gear shifter with a lot of help from a friend, well worth doing! If you've got a manual AE92, this is one thing you have got to do, feels like it should have from the factory now! Now it's time to change the gearbox oil and see how much of an improvement that makes.

165040_480003043667_546753667_5976477_1193965_n.jpg

^ AE92 on top, AE101 below ^

162979_480003123667_546753667_5976478_88385_n.jpg

^ AE92 on top, AE101 below ^

58071_480003168667_546753667_5976479_7459494_n.jpg

^ All done. May not look much different, but trust me, it's a HUGE improvement ^

Also I got the timing belt changed, timing set perfectly, cooling system flushed, new coolant and of course every 5000kms new oil and filter.

Running Magnatec 10W40 at the moment, thought I'd try it myself and just keep a very close eye on the dip stick (thinking it might to too thin). Did all that before an almost non-stop trip to Adelaide and back, with 4 people in the car on the way and 2 on the way back. She didn't miss a beat and averaged 6.3L per 100kms for the trip. I'm now 3000kms into my 5000kms until the next oil change and it hasn't used enough to drop on the dip stick, so maybe the magnatec isn't too bad, although I won't be using it next time (don't like the idea of it not draining properly, so next oil will be either fuchs or penrite to help flush out the magnatec), maybe the time after I'll put it back in. I'll decide on the next oil change.

Other then that, nothing really to update yet. 2011 it'll get some more work, that's for sure!

fantastic little car... Mrs had one, drove it from Adelaide to Townsville with no worries. Ballsy little engine...

Then we kinda lost the love with it and failed to maintain it... ended up selling it for $600 bucks and bought a commonwhore and have a new model corolla now.

Good work Troy! keep it up!

Thanks mate! Like I said, nothing particularly mind blowing, but I like to think it's being looked after. Pity it didn't look it last night, lol

fantastic little car... Mrs had one, drove it from Adelaide to Townsville with no worries. Ballsy little engine...

Then we kinda lost the love with it and failed to maintain it... ended up selling it for $600 bucks and bought a commonwhore and have a new model corolla now.

Oh no, it wasn't an SX with the 4A-GE and electric everything like mine was it? Bet you're kicking yourself now that you sold it for so little?

Thanks mate! Like I said, nothing particularly mind blowing, but I like to think it's being looked after. Pity it didn't look it last night, lol

Oh no, it wasn't an SX with the 4A-GE and electric everything like mine was it? Bet you're kicking yourself now that you sold it for so little?

Cute SX a freind of mine has one uses it as a daily runaround for work etc 500,000k's on clock and still going and mind you yet he doesnt drive it easy at all. so ill back you up n say sx engines= ballsy engines.

Cute SX a freind of mine has one uses it as a daily runaround for work etc 500,000k's on clock and still going and mind you yet he doesnt drive it easy at all. so ill back you up n say sx engines= ballsy engines.

Oh absolutely, the 4A-GE is certainly a decent little engine, it LOVES to rev, the party starts at 3500rpm and by the time it's showing 7000rpm it's sung a glorious song and shown what toyota could achieve with 1.6L without forced induction back in the 80s and 90s. It never fails to bring a smile to my face and sure surprises people! Very ballsy indeed!

I'm still keen on extracting a bit more power out of it, I'm sure we all know how it is, too much power is never enough... :spiteful:

such a rare car in factory gun metal grey Troy, if i ever find a gun metal seca or gti hatch id have a tough time not buying.. secas look stunning low!

some inspiration from the family album:

4528_173043150082_777730082_6853301_2252712_n.jpg

such a rare car in factory gun metal grey Troy, if i ever find a gun metal seca or gti hatch id have a tough time not buying.. secas look stunning low!

some inspiration from the family album:

4528_173043150082_777730082_6853301_2252712_n.jpg

Thanks mate, yeah, I love the colour, and it goes well with the tint I think!

And after seeing that picture... *goes onto evilbay to look for lowered springs and better wheels :whistling:*

• 1 month later...

Very nice car you got Troy. Love it in the flesh, and had no idea the inside had a cool looking head unit. Must check it out next time :D And can't wait to see it now that's it's been lowered clap.gif

Very nice car you got Troy. Love it in the flesh, and had no idea the inside had a cool looking head unit. Must check it out next time :D And can't wait to see it now that's it's been lowered clap.gif

Thanks mate! Yeah, I don't really advertise the fact it's got that head unit and screen in it outside of the car, for obvious reasons. Bring a DVD if you like to the next meet and I'll throw it in while we're all parked - you don't want me to choose which DVD it is, or else it'll most likely be a Top Gear DVD, hahaha!

Oh, and unless I throw a half a dozen or so bags of cement in it it won't be that low - that was with a carload of mates (that's why I called it "the 3 mates lowering kit", hahaha), a full boot and a tank full of petrol. I don't think I want to go THAT low - it looked AWESOME, but I couldn't even clear my own driveway until someone got out!

Nice troy. I like your maintenance schedule! very strict! :P best way to keep the AE running and running

Thanks! I plan on keeping this car for a long time, so I want to look after it as best I can - it's too good to drive into the ground!

Thanks mate! Yeah, I don't really advertise the fact it's got that head unit and screen in it outside of the car, for obvious reasons. Bring a DVD if you like to the next meet and I'll throw it in while we're all parked - you don't want me to choose which DVD it is, or else it'll most likely be a Top Gear DVD, hahaha!

Oh, and unless I throw a half a dozen or so bags of cement in it it won't be that low - that was with a carload of mates (that's why I called it "the 3 mates lowering kit", hahaha), a full boot and a tank full of petrol. I don't think I want to go THAT low - it looked AWESOME, but I couldn't even clear my own driveway until someone got out!

Well then there's no motivation for me to bring a DVD then, as Top Gear rocks :D

lol, I was wondering why you had called it "the 3 mates lowering kit" Just figured there was a company out there called "3 mates" whistling.gif

Well then there's no motivation for me to bring a DVD then, as Top Gear rocks :D

lol, I was wondering why you had called it "the 3 mates lowering kit" Just figured there was a company out there called "3 mates" whistling.gif

Hahaha, ok, top gear it is then! Hmm, will make a change to the usual "adult" DVDs that sometimes find their way into the DVD slot when showing my mates the DVD player, hahaha

Yeah, we all piled into it and my mate who was in the other car said he had to get a photo of the car with us all in it, because he said it looked great like that. He took the photos, then showed me and my other mates, and one of the other guys said "Ahh yes, the old 3 mates lowering kit", and I thought that was a good one, so I remembered it.

do it ... looks so good with the lads on board.. that or tell them to come along when ever you go for a spin haha

Oh trust me, after seeing those pictures, there is no way it'll be staying at stock height any longer then necessary! I rekon it looks HOT at that height! Those are my favourite pics of my car now!

Edited by TroysRollaSX

• 1 month later...

My car sounds much better now - when the stereo is on that is, hahaha!

189632_10150117090653668_546753667_6634351_2293112_n.jpg

For those who have not seen the DVD player in it...

189675_10150118869893668_546753667_6649495_1866900_n.jpg

12" Kenwood sub (650w peak) in box and 600w (peak) amp, all connected up and bolted into place.

196321_10150118869638668_546753667_6649491_6294246_n.jpg

Custom parcel shelf in place with Kenwood 6x9s (220w peak) connected up...

Testing to make sure everything worked before bolting it all up - camera had trouble with the audio, and I didn't have it THAT loud!

DVDs and music are much better now!

Edited by TroysRollaSX