legal to use handsfree while driving?

EK1

This question was asked during one of these Police reality shows this week. I think the Police Officer was from Queensland, and he said the only legal way to drive with using your mobile phone is to have the appropriate handsfree cradle and equipment correctly fitted for your phone. He kind of stressed for the phone that you have. Having the phone sitting in the drink holder and using it with loud speaker on is illegal.

This question was asked during one of these Police reality shows this week. I think the Police Officer was from Queensland, and he said the only legal way to drive with using your mobile phone is to have the appropriate handsfree cradle and equipment correctly fitted for your phone. He kind of stressed for the phone that you have. Having the phone sitting in the drink holder and using it with loud speaker on is illegal.

Frankly you can have your phone however you like it, the only key part (in queensland at least) is that you must NOT touch your mobile phone at any time. People have been caught using the GPS system on their phone because it is foremost a mobile phone before it is a GPS unit.

As for using the speaker phone, that implies that you had to push a button on the phone to answer it first. Even bluetooth systems that require you to push a button on the phone to answer are illegal.

So in reality, the accepted legal loophole is a bluetooth system or hardwired system that let's you answer the phone without touching the phone itself.

So in reality, the accepted legal loophole is a bluetooth system or hardwired system that let's you answer the phone without touching the phone itself.

So many technicalities lol.

The facelift Aurions come with built-in Bluetooth with an answer/hang up button on the centre console. I'm assuming this answering using this method constitutes not touching the mobile as you're pressing a button on the centre console (as you would the air-con or radio).

down here in Vic, the conditions are that the drivers that are on their Ls aren't allowed to use any sort of mobile phone device, including hands-free/bluetooth. P drivers and the full licenced, however, can't use mobile phones during driving, but the law doesn't say that they can't use hands-free devices. i'm guessing that hands-free devices are legal to use during driving.

Edited by seifer

i'm guessing that hands-free devices are legal to use during driving.

Police can't really prove anything. I mean if they don't see you touching a phone while driving, they wouldn't even have any suspicion to pull you over. For all they know, you could be singing along to a song on the radio, is that illegal? =P

Seems the law is pretty much the same across the country now, then. Tassie is the same - only allowed for making calls, only if in a cradle designed for the phone, only with handsfree, and only if you never touch the phone itself while driving. I don't know that it has to be an actual handsfree docking cradle, the law here only states a cradle. My phone came with a windscreen-mountable cradle which is just a holder, and as far as I'm concerned, that should be sufficient (though as far as I'm concerned, it shouldn't matter a sh!t whether I have my phone in my pocket, a cradle, the cup holder, or cable-tied to my spoiler, providing I don't touch the damn thing.

For all they know, you could be singing along to a song on the radio, is that illegal? =P

For some people, it should be.