1ZZ Corolla

as the title suggests, the 1ZZ engines have been advertised from day dot as being 100kW..... but upon reading the 1ZZ engine development info sheet, i am led to beleive that the 1ZZ is only 89kW max power..... <_<

http://www.users.on.net/~bmrogers/rolla/1zzfe.pdf

then i thought, hmm.... maybe that is at the wheels, but the sheet is talking about maximum engine power and says nothing about the cars driveline...

can someone help me out please.... :blink:

did you bother to read the date on that article?

is it that hard to believe there's been some more development since 1998?

The 4age went from 86kw to 120ish kw through it's lifespan.

sounds like thats the max power that the engine can output on an engine dyno while still running the alternator, oil and fuel pumps and stuff like that. The more quoted power output of 100kw is most prolly the engine sitting on an engine dyno and not having to pump its own oil etc..

going by the 1zz dyno dynamics graphs that have been posted, you can be assured the current 1zz's have 100kw at the flywheel as-is.

then i thought, hmm.... maybe that is at the wheels, but the sheet is talking about maximum engine power and says nothing about the cars driveline...

can someone help me out please....  :blink:

All manufacturers quote Flywheel Power, NOT Power at the Wheels.

100kw sounds better than 79 or 81.

Sells more cars !

In comparison, a few 4AGE (100kw) equipped Corollas and Sprinters produced between 75-80kw atw on the recent dyno day in Sydney so i would assume the 1ZZFE would produce about the same. Except a modified 4AGE equipped Sprinter that produced a whooping 122kw atw, puts our hi-tech 2ZZGE to shame.. :(

Edited by ZEEROLLA

Except a modified 4AGE equipped Sprinter that produced a whooping 122kw atw, puts our hi-tech 2ZZGE to shame.. :(

WTF has he done to the 4AGE to get 122 kw N/A ???

Maybe it has a 7A crank ?

And bored out ???

Quad Throttle Bodies perhaps ?

Cheers

T.

Edited by rolla02

In comparison, a few 4AGE (100kw) equipped Corollas and Sprinters produced between 75-80kw atw on the recent dyno day in Sydney so i would assume the 1ZZFE would produce about the same.  Except a modified 4AGE equipped Sprinter that produced a whooping 122kw atw, puts our hi-tech 2ZZGE to shame.. :(

That sprinter was a 20V engine and I assume had been stroked too... but damn.. it made Dave worried for about 1/2 a second until it peaked...

Except a modified 4AGE equipped Sprinter that produced a whooping 122kw atw, puts our hi-tech 2ZZGE to shame.. :(

And bored out ???

Cheers

T.

Possibly 7A. I was there at time get an idea of how it ran. I left ealier.

Quads are stock the on the 20v :P

Most tuned 20v's with ecu's make around 90-100KW mark. Could be diff rations. It could also be an Forumla Atlantic spec 4AGE that revs to 11 Grand.. LOL

And bored out ???

Cheers

T.

Possibly 7A. I was there at time get an idea of how it ran. I left ealier.

Quads are stock the on the 20v :P

Most tuned 20v's with ecu's make around 90-100KW mark. Could be diff rations. It could also be an Forumla Atlantic spec 4AGE that revs to 11 Grand.. LOL

Didn't know quad throttle bodies were stock on 20v but sure didn't sound like it during the dyno run.. But these 4AGE 20v are bloody grunty N/A motors for their age. Are the Formula Atlantic Spec 4AGE a 20v motor and anybody knows if they were sold on any mass produced Toyota cars?

formula atlantic motors are a true race spec motor which require rebuilding at short intervals.

Their powerband is also not suitable for a street driven car.

Quads are stock on all 20V 4age's.

You wont get much change out of $30K US for a hasselgren atlantic 4age. They use the bigport 16V head as their base.

formula atlantic motors are a true race spec motor which require rebuilding at short intervals.

Their powerband is also not suitable for a street driven car.

Quads are stock on all 20V 4age's.

You wont get much change out of $30K US for a hasselgren atlantic 4age.  They use the bigport 16V head as their base.

Don't they use those motors in Open Wheelers? kind of like our Formula Ford series?

It's called Formula Atlantic and is the main feeder series into CHAMPcar, They also have the Infinity Pro Series as a feeder into IRL, which use Nissan engines (badget 'Infinity' for the US market, which is the name the luxury Nissans are marketed under over there).

Both of them are actually more like a Formula 3 then a Formula Ford.