New steering wheel and airbags

moggillsx6

Hey everyone, As part of my future plans i've purchased a very nice black suede autotechnica steering wheel and just want some info on boss kits, and some airbag issues.

Obviously when the time comes the wheel will need to be installed by a pro. No way i'm mucking around with an airbag. But my questions are:

1. How will the removal of the wheel effect the ECU and other airbags?

2. How hard is it to remove all the remaining airbags?

3. Will removing them all effect the ECU?

4. Anyone know where I can get a boss (or similiar) kit to fit it?

plans aren't for another 14mths but being anal about planning i thought i'd chuck the issue out there for answers now....

cheers.

Hey everyone, As part of my future plans i've purchased a very nice black suede autotechnica steering wheel and just want some info on boss kits, and some airbag issues.

Obviously when the time comes the wheel will need to be installed by a pro. No way i'm mucking around with an airbag. But my questions are:

1. How will the removal of the wheel effect the ECU and other airbags?

2. How hard is it to remove all the remaining airbags?

3. Will removing them all effect the ECU?

4. Anyone know where I can get a boss (or similiar) kit to fit it?

plans aren't for another 14mths but being anal about planning i thought i'd chuck the issue out there for answers now....

cheers.

1. To remove the steering wheel you need to disconnect the battery (taking away all energy from the airbag ECU). If the airbag stays off after reconnecting the battery, the airbag light will stay on (maybe even flash). Everything else in the car will work fine, including the remaining airbags. However, if the light is on for the drivers airbag, you won't know if another airbag is detected as faulty (the light will already be on from the one you removed).

2. Removing all other air bags is a bit... of a difficult task. The front seats each contain a squib airbag which is not fun to remove without permanent markings, the passenger airbag removal should require the removal of the entire dash pad and then don't get me started on the curtain airbags (remove the head lining, lots of trim, not damage the grab handle brackets and cut some non-reusable trim mounts). Disconnecting the airbag ECU is a much more sensible option if you want to and can take this path.

3. The rest of the vehicle will remain functional. Which ECU are you referring to?

4. I've never looked, sorry.

Thanks mate....Wanting to make sure if I make the decision to leave them in I won't be motoring along and have one go bang lol....steering wheel is big one i guess...given i'll be sitting in front of it lol

Plans are for a roll cage eventually so tossing up taking them all out...

eventually track...

If you plan on keeping it road legal, this shall be interesting.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/safety/vehicle-standards-and-modifications/vehicle-modifications/light-vehicle-modifications/pdf_modification_motor_vehicles2.pdf

Altering a steering wheel might affect a vehicle's compliance with the Australian Design Rules (ADRs) applicable to occupant impact protection.

Steering wheels fitted to vehicles manufactured to comply with ADR 10/.. may only be replaced by a steering wheel which has been tested to comply with ADR10/... Where these ADRs apply, the vehicle's steering column and steering wheel are designed to minimise injury to the driver in the event of a crash.

Vehicles that are required to comply with ADR 69/.. or ADR 73/.. or where originally fitted with a driver airbag must not be fitted with a replacement steering wheel without an airbag, unless it is supplied by the vehicle manufacturer as an option for that model.

The diameter of any replacement wheel may be up to 25mm smaller than the original wheel but must not be less than 350mm.