Automatic Tramsmission Selector Lever Lights

mysterious2506

I have recently purchased a Aurion 2008 model and the Automatic Tramsmission Selector Lever (P,R,N,D) lights will not light up when the car is switched on. Would anyone have any advice on what I would need to do to fix this?

It is likely the bulb that lights this area has blown. You need to remove the center console cover to access it, then the bulb is easy to access (pops out from the rear end of the selector housing)

I don't have time at the moment to explain how to remove the console at the moment, but try doing a search as it has been mentioned here several times.

Hi mysterious2506,

I presume you mean the area you're referring to is in the instrument cluster which indicates the position of your transmission selector.

Being a 2008 Model, have you considered trying to lodge a claim under the remaining new car warranty or has this run out?

If it is still under warranty, try going to a toyota dealer and complain about it and pester them to fix it. It's pretty p*ss poor if a 2 year old car blows core instrument cluster lighting so quickly.....

Cheers,

BB

Edited by Beep Beep

I presume you mean the area you're referring to is in the instrument cluster which indicates the position of your transmission selector.

He did mention "Automatic Tramsmission Selector Lever", so I would be thinking he simply is referring to that one specifically. But only he can confirm that.

Just an update, I called my local Toyota service centre to see if they would fix the console light under warranty and they informed me it was not covered. I asked how much it would be to fix it and I was told that I was looking at around $110!!!

So I did search through the forums and discovered how to open the console which was easier than I thought. I found the faulty bulb and took it to Pep's Auto where I picked up a pack of 2 new globes for $3.95. Installed it and problem solved :clap:

The only thing is that when I opened the console I found a black plastic hook thing which is about 7cm long sitting on the passengers seat. I have no idea where it came from and I'm guessing it came out from somewhere when I opened the console.

Would anybody know what this thing is? I've attached the pic and I'm not sure if I should keep this thing or not.

post-22290-0-97495100-1292215165_thumb.j

Thanks again people for the helpful advice. I've saved myself over 100 bucks by getting on this forum :)

The only thing is that when I opened the console I found a black plastic hook thing which is about 7cm long sitting on the passengers seat. I have no idea where it came from and I'm guessing it came out from somewhere when I opened the console.

Would anybody know what this thing is? I've attached the pic and I'm not sure if I should keep this thing or not.

Time to take your centre console off again. The box works fine without it, so don't ask me how it works. I am yet to figure that one out.

di-10129221857211.jpg

di-0129221861110.jpg

Time to take your centre console off again. The box works fine without it, so don't ask me how it works. I am yet to figure that one out.

It sorta looks like some sort of lever control for vents.........? :unsure:

BB

... so don't ask me how it works. I am yet to figure that one out.

Actually, I know how it is MEANT to work, but in practice, it doesn't quite do it all the time (but doesn't affect it's operation).

Basically, when you completely close the console box lid, that little lever thing is mean to drop down ever so slightly. This then means that when you go to open it, that tab on the grey half-gear thing (easily seen in the second photo) can slide forward a bit more (this is when you push down on the lid) and disengage the locking mechanism. Then when the lid is opened, the lever thing springs up a little so when you close it, that tab hits on the other part of the lever, thus limiting the travel of the lid. This enables the locking mechanism to do it's job since the lid doesn't travel as far as it does when you go to open it.

That made absolutely no sense in words, so you can try to figure out what I am trying to say if you really care.

... so don't ask me how it works. I am yet to figure that one out.

Actually, I know how it is MEANT to work, but in practice, it doesn't quite do it all the time (but doesn't affect it's operation).

Basically, when you completely close the console box lid, that little lever thing is mean to drop down ever so slightly. This then means that when you go to open it, that tab on the grey half-gear thing (easily seen in the second photo) can slide forward a bit more (this is when you push down on the lid) and disengage the locking mechanism. Then when the lid is opened, the lever thing springs up a little so when you close it, that tab hits on the other part of the lever, thus limiting the travel of the lid. This enables the locking mechanism to do it's job since the lid doesn't travel as far as it does when you go to open it.

That made absolutely no sense in words, so you can try to figure out what I am trying to say if you really care.

Okay I've managed to locate where this thing goes and put it back in its place thanks to the photos you have kindly provided (not that anything drastic will happen by it not being there) and I now feel better knowing that everything is where it should be. Thanks again guys.