BC sports coilovers

Does anyone know about installing BC coilovers? There seems to be this extra bolt that isn't present on the stocks, and there is a welded nut in the boot that's stopping the coilovers from fitting.

Sorry my explanation doesn't really make sense, hope these few photos help.

163164_480306633385_714448385_6089291_6558241_n.jpg

168244_480306598385_714448385_6089290_7549293_n.jpg

Side on

162725_480412758385_714448385_6092416_6365146_n.jpg

And the stupid nut welded to the chassis.

163899_480412783385_714448385_6092417_6140951_n.jpg

Thanks in advance

Alf

Edited by ImPulse

hmm

try and bash the stud out of the coil over? and use the old bolt from the old shock to go into the chassis through the new coilover?

This is what i would be doing... just press the cunt out...

hmm

try and bash the stud out of the coil over? and use the old bolt from the old shock to go into the chassis through the new coilover?

This is what i would be doing... just press the cunt out...

:clap:

LOL. Uhm well i've tried all arvo to hammer that bolt out - cos it LOOKS removable (see pics).

But I found this thread.

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28589

PMed the guy, hoping for a reply. His idea focuses on removing the chassis nut, but i've been bashing at the stock bolt the whole afternoon, i hope I haven't weakened it.

I can see either of two options:

1. Remove chassis bolt.

2. Remove 'third stud' from the coilover and use the stock bolt.

3. Give up and accept the fact I shouldn't really be trying to mod a toyota :P

I wonder what Justjap will say if I give them a ring?

Thanks guys

Alf

when i installed my bc coils i had the same prob..

what i did was cut the nut off the chassis, and used the bc coils as a whole.

how ever i wouldn't recommend what i did. cause its a headache when you want to go back to stock..

best thing to do is get a big drill bit and drill out that bolt on the coilovers and then use the original bolt with the new coils.

It seems most people have gone this way. I have contacted JustJap today and they contacted BC sports in Taiwan to look into it. For now I'm not too keen on messing with the chassis.

From what i've looked into online, it seems the red V1 series (at $100 LESS) does not have this problem. I find this really weird.

But i'll keep this thread updated.

Hey mate

Dont touch that nut! Its meant to stay welded on.. Not sure if the guys are trying to be funny or if they are assuming that you have to get it off but that stays where it is.

Theres a bolt that either comes with the coilovers or you re-use the original that goes straight into that nut from underneath the car the same way the stock ones are.

Dont worry about the nut on top of the original suspension, the coilovers dont have that nut on the top because theyre adjustable. They should fit straight into the chassis with no modification to be done to the chassis of the car.

Hi Hu55si,

Thanks for the input, the problem is since the aftermarket coilovers have that third 'stud', i cannot physically mount the coilovers properly. as in the welded nut is in the way. (see photos)

This is why users above such as prozak have suggested attacking the coilover stud instead.

Both of which are options i'm not that keen on. I have spent a good deal of time over the weekend banging away at the coilover stud though, and even attacking it with a vice. Still no deal.

Just updating for anyone who looks up installation of these in the future.

The final conclusion i reached is that it seemed a better idea to remove the third stud, rather than stuff around grinding into the chassis.

Took it to a mate's workshop who had a hydraulic press.

165201_484236818385_714448385_6160007_5551259_n.jpg

As a side note, superdave has mentioned that the corolla and the ZZT celica share the same top mounts, the celica has 3 studs, possibly why these top mounts were designed as a universal fit - and hence needed that one bolt to be removed.

Cheers for the help guys :)

Alf