Need recommendation for tyres.

eugklng

After sticking with those stock tyres a couple of yrs its gets very annoying as the noise it makes on the freeway and I had to turn the radio up each time. Any recommendation on a good set of tires that is know to be quieter?

my Yokohama AVS ES100's are pretty quiet and have pretty good grip as well

Yeah I'm going to try that next. I'm currently on BF Goodrich G-force Sport, very happy with them, esp in the wet!

Slightly noisy though, but I like it how the performance is similar between dry and slighly wet

Yokohama tyres tends to have that "High Performance" ring to it, anything more mainstream perhaps? Our Corolla is more for my wife and I'm hoping to keep the tyre noise down so my daughter can sleep better while travelling :D

that may be so but for $150 each when compared to some of the other options they are a dam good buy.

$150 is a really good price, what size are you using Northy? My C.drive 205/50R16 87W cost me $200 each.

stock 15s :)

ic thanks Shao, but still good price for the Yokohama AVS ES100. ;)

Bridgestone G3's are pretty quiet and have got goos grip wet and dry for a reasonable price.

They are pretty good tyres and i was also considering them too but they were slightly more than $200 each in 16inch so i thouht i'll try Yokohama. Maybe can also try Pirelli P6000/7000?

Yokohama tyres tends to have that "High Performance" ring to it, anything more mainstream perhaps? Our Corolla is more for my wife and I'm hoping to keep the tyre noise down so my daughter can sleep better while travelling  :D

I've used both Yokohama's S306 & A539 on a previous car, and both proved to be low on road noise ... I'll be heading for the A539's again when the time comes, unless the C-drive impresses me.

BTW, the S306's were 185/60 on 13x5 inch rims, which some tyre dealers thought to be too wide for the rim, but they performed excellently. The A539's were 175/60 on 14x6's (both on a 1998 Starlet).

the A539s are no longer being produced from what i hear as they have been superceded by the C-Drives

100% correct wei wei .... The only A539's left on the market are the ones that havent sold since yokohama stopped making them.... The c drive is supposed to be the replacement tyre.....

the A539s are no longer being produced from what i hear as they have been superceded by the C-Drives

100% correct wei wei .... The only A539's left on the market are the ones that havent sold since yokohama stopped making them.... The c drive is supposed to be the replacement tyre.....

ditto :) The A539 was a legend. The C.drive has been extensively tested by 280 dealers across Australia and all concluded it being a great tyre: "Offering better wet and dry grip, gives the average driver a higher margin of safety and provide a quieter and more comfortable ride."

Some features of the tyre taken off the Yokohama brochure:

Tested by over 280 dealers across Australia

-They concluded that the C.drive range of tyres: offer better wet and dry grip, gives the average driver a higher margine of safety and provides a quiter and more comfortable ride.

Superior Wet Grip

-A new micro flexible silica tread compund and 4 wide straight grooves provide stronger wet weather performance and anti-aquaplaning properties.

Superior Dry Grip

-A clever variation in tread block stiffness and design provides the perfect balance between cornering and braking performance.

Comfort and low noise for the life of the tyre

-A staggered block design and 5 pitch variation theme has been applied to reduce road noise levels in both new and worn tyre conditions. The C.drive is a worthy successor to the A539.

30 sizes ranging from 14" to 17" in 45 series to 65 series, speed index of W (270km/h), V (240km/h) and H (210km/h).

My personal opinion after covering about 3000kms on these tyres now is that they are FANTASTIC! My 1st 1000kms with them was a struggle for grip but now that its worn in and the protective coating is gone it seriously handles! On the freeway to Sydney and back its really comfortable and taking corners at 110km/h and above is a breeze, don't need much steering input at all compared to old Bridgestone Turanzas and the car feels much "flatter" and steadier. Just my opinion but they are great tyres for the money ;)

Yokohama website

Full Yokohama C.drive brochure

i was wonderng if Silverstone are any good coz i can get them for 85 bucks each brand new 17s......thanks all :P

I seriously doubt Silverstone would come anywhere near Yokohama/Bridgestone/Michelin etc.

Youse get whats youse pays for is the saying !

Can mods please keep an eye out for such topics and move them to the corresponding areas?

Of late it seems that I am the only one doing this!!

And members could you please post in the appropriate areas!

Thanks

Sads

This is one of those double-edged sword things for me, I guess ... on one hand, its obvious that Yokohama has taken a step up with the C-drive, on the other hand, I really loved the look of the A539's.

Hopefully Yokohama will expand the available tyre sizes on the C-drive, because I want 205/55r15's, which they don't do in the C-drives :(

on my cresssi i run firestone sports excelet value for money!!!! craploads of grip in wet and dry well priced and great braking as well... i really like these tyres... though im after a very agressi tyre for the rolla so im not going for these this time....

• 4 weeks later...
on my cresssi i run firestone sports excelet value for money!!!! craploads of grip in wet and dry well priced and great braking as well... i really like these tyres... though im after a very agressi tyre for the rolla so im not going for these this time....

BridgeStone SO-3

BridgeStone SO-3

Go straight for semi-slicks dude if you want all out grip, don't muck around with street radials ;) The Falken RT225 is good and cheap.

• 1 month later...