tire choices

My federal 595 evos (195/55/16) are finally worn out on the sportivo.

Just wondering if i could get an idea of what you guys are running and what you recommend ( i know this has been covered with a large list containing all the tire choice for sportivo but was just wanting an update on what’s the best tire for my situation.

I was looking at getting kumho ku36 but they don’t have 205/50/16.so I was thinking of getting ku31 or ku39 but im not sure if they would offer worse grip then my federal 595 evos.

Could you guys recommend any tires that are ku36 grade of softness in 205/50/16?

I probably don’t want to spend more then $170 a tire.

I didn’t mind the federals , but I found there was to much tire role even when pumped to 37psi cold.

Also wet weather traction was quite poor .... but then again i guess you cant get exceptional grip in dry and wet for cheap.

Any advice would be great thanks.

p.s does any one run 45/16s at all if so do you find the revs to high at 110?

Thanks

Dave

Edited by 2zz corolla

You'll get alot of flex or roll with Sportivo rims as they are not really wide enough for a 205 width. You need a 7 inch wide rim. KU36 does come in a 215/45/R16 which would be pretty comparable in size. Otherwise Toyo Proxes R1Rs have a 205/50/R16. Proxes T1Rs are a good compromise as they have much better grip in the wet.

as Andy said the T1R's are a good compromise,we have had a bit rain here in Melbourne and these have performed great,and i can truthfully say they saved my bacon a couple of months back in the wet when some fool thought it would be a good idea to run a red light(70km zone),i swerved right and went around behind him,missed him by a couple of feet and continued on my way,at the next set of lights the guy beside me was just shaking his head in disbelief and i must admit i was a little shaky but was thinking that if not for my tyres and susp setup i prolly wouldn't have been able to turn that sharp at that speed and would have T-boned him for sure.

as Andy said the T1R's are a good compromise,we have had a bit rain here in Melbourne and these have performed great,and i can truthfully say they saved my bacon a couple of months back in the wet when some fool thought it would be a good idea to run a red light(70km zone),i swerved right and went around behind him,missed him by a couple of feet and continued on my way,at the next set of lights the guy beside me was just shaking his head in disbelief and i must admit i was a little shaky but was thinking that if not for my tyres and susp setup i prolly wouldn't have been able to turn that sharp at that speed and would have T-boned him for sure.

True it sure does pay to put the monney in the shoes. Whats the tread wear of these tires , from what im reading it looks like there about 140? i take it these would grip way better then the 595 evos tread wear 260 ?

should i got to a 195/50 setup the role is starting to get to me ;P.

Im tempted to go the 215/45 but im worried that a 45 setup would make my revs go to the stratosphere :P , if any one can comment on what revs they get on the high way with 45 that would be wonderfull.

Thanks

dave

Edited by 2zz corolla

ive got goodyear eagle 205's on my steven rims and im stoked with it , but that said they are noisy and alot harsher than the stock turanzas i had

Which eagles do you run i noticed they had 3 on there website ;P

Ive decided to either go the t1r or the r1r , just having trouble to locate a store that has them in stock or that can get them in.

Does any one know a place in brisbane that will stock them , prefferably northern suburbs.

Thanks

David Donnelly

I dont have my car with me now to double check but im pretty sure i have 205/65 or 45 on my sportivo rims there fine runs smooth lower profile and wider tyre the tyres on them are bridge stone potenza got them done at bridgestone payed nearly 177 per tyre costed me a total 750 with wheel Alighnent and car runs great its a big amount but my car is smooth as **** and i like it that way :D

You can get the Toyos at any Tyrepower store. As state by Phil you would want wider wheels for them as T1Rs have a softer sidewall and I had occasions where the sidewall would fold over slightly.

Also you gotta ask yourself if you need a near R-comp tyre for daily duties? Do you do any track work at all? You might struggle to get decent kms out of a set of R1Rs.

Have a look at the Hankook RS-2s. Bloody awesome tyre and work great on my MX5.

well i ended up getting some gmax drift rims with ku31

The handling improvement is absolutely mind blowing lol. The federal 595s in 195/55/16 were bludging out big time on the standard rims and made the car handle very very badly.

Ku31 even though there a 320 tread wear they feel like a 260 or less, the braking has improved substantially .

Only problem is the drifts are a 17 inch rim and with 205/45/17 i cant seem to get lift as easy .. even though there the same rolling diameter and there a 6.5 kg rim ...

What profile do you 17 inch boys use to stay in lift .... its starting to get to me a bit ...

Cheers for every ones advice, been a great help.