Anyone here own a Yaris YR manual hatch??

mg_k

Hi all,

Just bought a 2010 Yaris YR 5 door Manual, just wondering what speed (in km/h) is best to change gear to achieve best fuel economy? Any thoughts to share?? :)

mg_k

Edited by mg_k

Hi all,

Just bought a 2010 Yaris YR 5 door Manual, just wondering what speed (in km/h) is best to change gear to achieve best fuel economy? Any thoughts to share?? :)

mg_k

That would depend on what conditions--ie hill--flat ground etc--best thing is to get used to the sound of the motor and make sure not to labor the engine at all--and don't get into the 5th gear below 70KPH--It is not so much the speed but the Revs

• 5 months later...

Not sure if this will help but my friend told me to try and keep the revs between 2 and 3. So having the engine around 2 will be fine since the car supposedly has to try a lot harder when you're under 2k revs. More or less just change down whenever you slow down or get to a hill.

G'day again Newbie,

The engine will not labor if you are in the right gear, get used to changing down a gear for corners etc -- or when you slow down, always be in the right gear for the speed of the car and try and get used to the sound of the engine, also always go down a hill in the same gear as you would use to go up the hill, ie some steep hills you may have to use 3rd or even 2nd gear, this way you are not using your brakes you are using your motor to slow you down and this is much safer. If I can help you more please let me know.

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

mg_k

I usually change gears between 2000 and 3000 rpm and sometimes 3000-4000 when first to second or 3000-4000 when second to third in order to catch up the traffic.

And you will find there won't be so much fuel difference when using high revs or low revs to drive for this small engine 1.3L.