TRD Aurion 45,000Km Service Report

byw

Ok guys.. well, yesterday was interesting.... these guys do alot of custom brake solutions for all sorts of cars.. drag cars, trikes... hot rods etc....

as stated elsehwhere in the forum i think....

front rotors = Ford, BA-BF model... except for the stud positions... the boys did sling on to the front rhs side of my car some 6pot wilwood calipers with HUGE rotors which took them all of about 4 mins... they did this before i could get any pics of it.. looked great, but KACHIIING $$$ !!!!

rear rotors disc are a bit of a strange one.. They are holden, commodore type.. but the problem is the handbrake area... nothing major according to the boys as it can be machined out to suit... they spent alot of time measuring all the clearances for the rear... they would enquire this morning... they rang a supplier and the front are generally done with BLANK BF EBC rotors and are drilled to suit... my discs are slotted , where the wheel studs are, and u guessed it, with the track driving, they are shot.... so are the rears... thanks BYW!!!! :huh:

they will get back to me either today or next monday....

BYW i showed them the city toyota quote... they said for that kind of money, they could supply some BIGGER aftermarket calipers and bigger discs for cheaper all round!!! hence why they tried the wilwood set to see whether the rims would clear it... and they do

thats all i have for now....

enjoy the pics for those who dont have the pleasures of a TRD aurion brake headache!!!

fyi, the owner of the brake place had a evo10 as his everyday drive.. i took his car for a spin and he took the aurion.. (he had heard about these cars but had never seen one) he said he loved it.. especially after the 4000rpm range... he said the VVT, supercharger combo in any of the gears was brilliant... for a daily driver, family & work car.. better then any FPV or HSV he had driven... Evo was great.. but was too clinical... and didnt understeer when pushed!! :angry:

retro, thanks for the update. It's encouraging that we can go aftermaket with BIGGER calipers and BIGGER rotors for less than the cost of the stock replacement parts!! Looking forward to hearing what the guys can come up with in terms of options and costs. :yahoo:

Cheers.

sorry guys.. been chaos @ work

the guy that is dealing with this has sent me an email saying his mum is ill and has to drop everything and had to go overseas...

he has not forgotten about it and has apologised... reckons he will get back next wedensday and get straight into it..

he has found out quite a bit of info so will share the love as soon as i know..

• 4 weeks later...

Just had the 45,000Km service for my TRD Aurion and was shocked to be told that all 4 pads and rotors will need to be replaced. I can understand the pads wearing out, but the rotors after 45,000Kms? According to the service rep the rotors are worn below the minimum thickness and cannot be skimmed and reused. I don't drive my car hard and have purchased it secondhand with 30,000Km on the clock so cannot say how the car was driven before I purchased it. The other shock that I got was the price of the replacement parts. I was quoted a total of $1858.60 for parts only (4 pads and 4 rotors). Front pads were $97.38, rear pads $99.36, a pair of front rotors $751.43 and a pair of rear rotors $910.42.

Hey byw,

You think your shocked... I just picked my TRD Aurion from its 36 Month service today also to be told that all 4 pads and rotors need to be replaced. Mine has only 28196km on the clock! I bought my car as a used car from a toyota dealership and it already had 14000km on the clock so I have only done 14000km in the past 2-3 years since I bought it. The car is only driven by my wife, we haven't even clocked up more than 60km in a single trip ever and the car rarely even goes over 100km/hr! My wife basically uses the car to go to the local shops and drop the kids of to childcare. So it makes me wonder what happened to the car during the first 14000km before I purchased it or there is something really wrong going on here.

I am fully aware that high performance brakes/rotors wear faster but stuffed after 28000km? Just doesn't seem right.

I know this is a kind of "how long is a peice of string" question.. but how many km's should you expect to get from these rotors? I would have said a minimum of 60000km if not driven hard. Are there any other TRD Aurion owners here that can give there input? Have you had to change your rotors to and if so how many km's?

Dan.

Are there any other TRD Aurion owners here that can give there input? Have you had to change your rotors to and if so how many km's?

Around 35,000km to 45,000km seems to be the norm with the TRD's. Just because they wear down this quick doesn't necessarily translate to aggressive driving. SupaTouring and SecaBoy both had TRD's which had their rotors wear at the typical rate for these cars and I wouldn't say that their cars were treated badly. Remember, a lot of city driving can easily accelerate the wear as well since there is a lot of start stop. So those first 14,000km your TRD went through may not have been as harsh as you may think.

In addition to that, I feel the pads on these 'drag' quite a bit more than what I would call normal. Just go driving slowly next to a wall or something and you can hear the pads dragging on the rotors a little.

Around 35,000km to 45,000km seems to be the norm with the TRD's. Just because they wear down this quick doesn't

necessarily translate to aggressive driving. SupaTouring and SecaBoy both had TRD's which had their rotors wear at the typical rate for these cars and I wouldn't say that their cars were treated badly. Remember, a lot of city driving can easily accelerate the wear as well since there is a lot of start stop. So those first 14,000km your TRD went through may not have been as harsh as you may think.

Dave and Ash? Honestly there are no 2 drivers that are more spirited then them.

Around 35,000km to 45,000km seems to be the norm with the TRD's. Just because they wear down this quick doesn't

necessarily translate to aggressive driving. SupaTouring and SecaBoy both had TRD's which had their rotors wear at the typical rate for these cars and I wouldn't say that their cars were treated badly. Remember, a lot of city driving can easily accelerate the wear as well since there is a lot of start stop. So those first 14,000km your TRD went through may not have been as harsh as you may think.

Dave and Ash? Honestly there are no 2 drivers that are more spirited then them.

Yeah... but they can drive and not simply just 'waste' their brakes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

well.. i am slightly annoyed... this guy has promised everything and delivered nothing. been ringing him on a fortnightly basis and grrrrrr...

i cannot believe it.. its time to get serious with this.. my rotors are shot...

Can someone please provide me with the technical info on the front rotors on diameter, thickness, stud spacing etc...

the rears - i need to know the internal diameter for the handbrake etc as well as overall diameter for the disc.. i really dont want to get the OEM ones... so anyone willing to help this brake cause feel free...

BYW, sorry man.. i am flying to sydney then to korea for a few weeks for work.. its been a bit chaotic work wise so havent had much time to drive the car yet alone think about the brakes....

i wished people just said they were not interested and be done with it....

if we can get blank rotors, i can get them machined out.. just need dimensions of everything....

to my TRD brethren, GET TO WORK!!!!

Hey retro well i'm over trying to source some aftermarket rotors too... I'm just going to go with the genuine toyota ones again this time round. Best price I could find is front pads $82, front rotors $330 each ($660 pair), rear pads $88 and rear rotors $402 each ($804). Total $1634.00 inc GST. Not too bad and I'm happy with that. Going to drive up to Ingleburn and get em soon.

Can someone please provide me with the technical info on the front rotors on diameter, thickness, stud spacing etc...

The rotors you need for the front to match the current callipers on the TRD need to have the following specs:

A: Diameter: 325mm

B: Height: 46mm

C: Thickness: 32mm

E: Centre Hole: 62mm

F/G: PCD: 5 x 114.3

dims.jpg

That's about all I can help you with really. I already have new rotors just about ready to be fitted. Just waiting for the re-drilling and the hub ring to be completed.

RDA FTW!

di-413069241486.jpg

The rotors you need for the front to match the current callipers on the TRD need to have the following specs:

dims.jpg

That's about all I can help you with really. I already have new rotors just about ready to be fitted. Just waiting for the re-drilling and the hub ring to be completed.

thanks.. nothing for the rears???

Haven't bothered taking them off to measure because I don't particularly need them just yet. I will probably end up getting them genuine though since I can get trade price on stuff like that.

Haven't bothered taking them off to measure because I don't particularly need them just yet. I will probably end up getting them genuine though since I can get trade price on stuff like that.

really??? ok.. can u tell us how much for these all machined up and ready to go?? i think myself and BYW will need to do a urgent order from somewhere?? nudge nudge, wink wink???

really??? ok.. can u tell us how much for these all machined up and ready to go?? i think myself and BYW will need to do a urgent order from somewhere?? nudge nudge, wink wink???

Can't say how much the fronts or rears would be if I purchased from my mate. I get trade prices, but it's because I'm friends with the guy there so he won't really do the whole friends of friends thing. Usually 2/3 of the retail cost is about what things usually cost me.

If you get aftermarket fronts though, you can save a bit compared to genuine. The RDA's shown above are the Gold Passivated variety and after machining etc, would have cost me about $565. Obviously you can save more with the standard slotted ones.

dims.jpg

RDA FTW!

di-413069241486.jpg

mmm SEX rated they are :P

dims.jpg

RDA FTW!

di-413069241486.jpg

thanks djkor.. one more question.. actually a few more.. any chance you can provide the RDA part number that you have got there?

man, thats alot of lip balm and medication you have around your keyboard?? (sorry man, i just noticed it and had a good laugh!!))

thanks heaps.. i'll give BYW a call friday and sort this stuff out!!!

BYW, where are you?? still working eh???

any chance you can provide the RDA part number that you have got there?

RDA7739 & RDA7740

man, thats alot of lip balm and medication you have around your keyboard?? (sorry man, i just noticed it and had a good laugh!!))

Not my keyboard, neither did I take the photo. Though I do wish the Duromine was in my possession though. On a side note, I once went though about a stick of lip balm a fortnight back when I was on Roaccutane. That stuff was brutal... but brilliant.

So had my 45000 other day too....

• all 4 rotors need skimming
  • All tires bald <- Not my Fault... Honest :whistling:
  • Drivers side window motor needs to be replaced <- warranty

otherwise oil change, handbrake adjustment and she was all good to go :clap:

thank you sir

hey, i went on riaccutane as well.. a few years ago... tub of vaseline was my best friend...

will look into it

thanks

okay guys..

in a moment of madness last night, i launched a angry email to RDA asking basically WTF?? (why the face?) not angry at RDA but at PBR in general for being well.. grrrrr :angry: :angry:

and wow.. i got a really good response from them.. i will be speaking to their special division friday afternoon who have been trying to get this sorted out for awhile...but have not been able to get a real car to measure up...

any TRD aurion owners around victoria and around this address??

34-36 Fiveways Boulevard

Keysborough, VIC 3173

let me know.. DJKOR, that drawing has helped heaps for the front rotors... thanks once again...

ok...

well, its been an interesting morning to say the least.

I have had the head hauncho of RDA brakes contact me today.. cutting the story short.. there WILL be a solution in a few months of being able to buy rotors off the shelf for our cars...YAY..

short term, it will be a custom solution like what djkor is doing... speaking to "the man" himself @ RDA. he said being a aussie based company, there WILL be a solution and not like under vendors.

time will tell.. i have rung BYW today.. I will get a call in about 3 - 4 weeks with hopefully something that can be shipped to us. He also has access to a TRD aurion which he has contacted the owner, so fitment will done on that one.

(are there TRD owners who are not on forums??)

Edited by retro

Thanks retro - you're the MAN!! :yahoo::toast:

If RDA can come up with an aftermarket solution for the TRD front and rear rotors it should save us heaps - just hope RDA don't charge too much for them... :whistling:

Cheers.

• Like 1