"Squishing" noise coming from the car

hey guys i'm getting a squishing noise when i full lock my steering. this is the power steering pump working overtime? i dont usually full lock and hold it there/put pressure but i noticed it today doing a u-turn.

also revs kick in abit higher at ~1.1k

thanks

It is highly advisable not to hold your steering wheel at absolute full lock for any more than a second or so. If you can avoid hitting that point all together, it would be even better.

That sound you hear (provided it is a higher pitch squealing noise) is indeed the power steering pump working harder trying to pump fluid that won't be moving anything. It can also lead to blown seals (one scenario I have done this in is doing a sharp u-turn and I hit end of travel really quick and rather forceful) which won't be very friendly, so be mindful of it when you turn your wheel fast either way to the end.

It is highly advisable not to hold your steering wheel at absolute full lock for any more than a second or so. If you can avoid hitting that point all together, it would be even better.

That sound you hear (provided it is a higher pitch squealing noise) is indeed the power steering pump working harder trying to pump fluid that won't be moving anything. It can also lead to blown seals (one scenario I have done this in is doing a sharp u-turn and I hit end of travel really quick and rather forceful) which won't be very friendly, so be mindful of it when you turn your wheel fast either way to the end.

ahh ok yep i am really mindful about it when i make u-turns. i'll have a person check it tomorrow when my car goes up on the hoist :) i dont think i've lost any fluid which is a good thing...

i'll have a person check it tomorrow when my car goes up on the hoist :) i dont think i've lost any fluid which is a good thing...

There shouldn't be a need to worry. It does take a bit to blow a seal... and when you do, you certainly will know about it. Will empty your PS fluid reservoir in a matter of seconds.

curious, I sometimes full lock when parking. Is there a big difference between what you mean by 'absolute' full lock and full lock?

Just wondering as sometimes I do turn the steering wheel a bit hard, should probably stop doing that.

curious, I sometimes full lock when parking. Is there a big difference between what you mean by 'absolute' full lock and full lock?

Just wondering as sometimes I do turn the steering wheel a bit hard, should probably stop doing that.

My definitions are a little ambiguous. You steering should typically come to a stop (by means of end stops) before reaching the full limit in which you will get a squealing sound coming from the power steering pump. Over time, it can be possible to exceed these end stops or you can also reach the limit of the steering by applying more pressure against the end stop. When you reach that end and get the squealing, that's where I would define it't absolute full lock as it is this point where you aren't really getting the wheel to turn any further. Typically when driving and doing turning manoeuvres, you tend to get close to the end stop but most of the time you will find you are a little bit away from the end stop just due to the way the steering feels as you get to that end.