Dash mat vs rub in protectant

Hey guys,

Just wondering what everyone prefers when it comes to protecting there car's dash from cracking. Atm im undecided, however i park outside in the sun all day at work and do not have any cover at home either. I need a protectant, but which one?

A dash mat would provide the ultimate protection but personally, they don't look all that appealing. My advice would be to use a good dash and trim care product (so many recommendations on the forum, I use Aerospace 303) and then use a sun shade for when you are parked out in the sun.

Dashes aren't exactly like they used to be year and years ago. It isn't invincible to damage, but they are certainly more durable to the harsh Australian sun, so I wouldn't be panicking too much about the dash falling to pieces. I used to use a sun shade all the time, but stopped using it about a year ago when I left it in Dubbo and never got around to picking a new one up.

thx guys, i checked out a dash mat from supercheap auto n it just made the car look sooooo crap. I'll get a sunshade and some protectant. Also anyone use rainX on the windshield. Is it bad for the glass? it really helps for that morning fog n mist.

stay away from ArmorAll Protectant...makes your dash go all greasy and shiney..

Agreed. It can also leave a residue on you windscreen after a couple of really hot days in the sun.

thx guys, i checked out a dash mat from supercheap auto n it just made the car look sooooo crap. I'll get a sunshade and some protectant. Also anyone use rainX on the windshield. Is it bad for the glass? it really helps for that morning fog n mist.

I've used RainX...to be honest though, I haven't really noticed much of a difference, that being said though I haven't really been paying much attention. I highly doubt it would do any damage to the glass, the only thing you might have to be wary of is tinted windows, but I think it's tint safe. I've tried the anti-fog solution that they make as well, but it's a PITA to apply properly as it streaks and hazes etc...almost makes it not worth while.

I've used RainX...to be honest though, I haven't really noticed much of a difference, that being said though I haven't really been paying much attention. I highly doubt it would do any damage to the glass, the only thing you might have to be wary of is tinted windows, but I think it's tint safe. I've tried the anti-fog solution that they make as well, but it's a PITA to apply properly as it streaks and hazes etc...almost makes it not worth while.

A friend showed me RainX on his car. Made a big difference. Whether it damages the glass or not... I really don't know. I've heard from a couple of people that it could make your glass brittle but I'm not 100% sure. Personally, I don't use it simply cos I'm lazy. Let me know if you find out anything :whistling: