Big Exhaust Question

Hi All,

Time has come have a cold air intake need a exhaust

few options the boys at west sydney mufflers said they would make a custom 2 1/2 catback exhaust with a 21/2 inch tip for around the 420 mark, had them say for 750 a varex muffler.

Liverpool exhaust had the idea they owned 2 sportivo's talked to shev nice guy said come down they will have a good crack at what i want, reckons the varex is a waste of money if the exhaust is at the right sound level to begin with.

also talked to the boys at performance exhaust northmead, nice guys there wants to use a burkley system.

i am on my p's want some loud sound nice noise but not a fart cannon but to be able to keep it down when neeeded. also PERFORMANCE (high flow cat) i know.

any tips suggestions thanks guys.

you dont need to use a brand name muffler, resonator, etc. if the system is made well to begin with, then that will be the biggest gain. just don't skimp on quality welding as you will develop cracks and exhaust leaks in no time. correctly made mandrel bends are a must, too.

and i would tend to agree with the whole varex thing. to me, it's a bit of a gimmick just so you can say "look what i've got" (varex owners you know you want to punch me square in the face, haha ;) )

with regards to getting a high flow cat, you will find that pretty much all the guys on here with the highest power outputs and 1/4 mile times are using stock cats. you would probably be better off putting that money towards getting your stock exhaust manifold port matched and polished.

intake will give u the biggest gains ALONE. make sure u get a good pod. with the exhaust, get a second hand varex. *punches lachlan in the face*Heh.gif if not just stick to good brand exhaust. mandrel bends are a must and if u got the money and will keep the car for a long time, go stainless/aluminised steel. the varex is good for me as any "louder than stock muffler" is not acceptable for me on the public roads. varex with the 2.5 inch piping would make a sound around the same as the stock piping so it works for me. spending money on a new varex is a waste IMO.

and i would tend to agree with the whole varex thing. to me, it's a bit of a gimmick just so you can say "look what i've got" (varex owners you know you want to punch me square in the face, haha ;) )

I so agree with you there. Before getting my Varex on my last car, I was reading about how those against it were saying it is a waste and to just get the right note in the first place. I just kept using the reasoning that I got it so I can cruise around through quiet suburbs etc and not make much noise. Then I got it and convinced myself that the benefit of making it quiet was such a good decision and that's what I kept saying....

.... but honestly, I pretty much never turned it to "quiet". I left it open 24/7 and it really was pointless. Now I am in the same boat as those before me that were saying how pointless it really is.

why have you decided cat back why not full exhaust..? i got a 2.5inch system and extractors which i bought off another member 'redsportivo' and i know that liverpool exhaust did the exhaust and i love the sound of it.. definately get it dont prob the best thing i have done to my car so far.. and where about you from in sydney

Go 2.5" and I love my Varex, perfect for highway driving or when you're just not in the mood. I definitely make good use of mine.

yes. suprisingly its not droney at all when i'm highway cruising...

i dont have a big big budjet so im not going to be doing headers,extractors yet and as you stated^ high flow cat is near useless so just a catback. nice pipe work and sound is all i want with some small gains

If you want noise on a budget have another rear muffler with a nice tip put on , the stock exhaust system on a Sportivo is fantastic being mandrel bent.

*Flame suit fitted*

If you want noise on a budget have another rear muffler with a nice tip put on , the stock exhaust system on a Sportivo is fantastic being mandrel bent.

*Flame suit fitted*

FLAMESSSSSSS :lol::ninja:

hmm i heard 2 and a half gives low end power shortage? any comments and i got a SRI hurricane from liverpool is it worth keeping that or getting a injen or apexi, i love the cai sounds good runs nice just wonder if there is a HUGE difference with the injen, and shev said he can do a varex 2 tip 2 and a half for 650 installed for me with catback straight pipe.