what do you think about diesel

The next generation of performance toyotas will  have diesel engines in,what will that do to your street cred?

As long as they can perform what should it matter diesel or petrol ?

Where did you get that information from ? I would be verry surprised since diesel isn't hot at all in Japan. So they would make a sport diesel engine just for their oversees market ?

I would be pretty surprised but then again, the new avensis engine 2.2 with 177 horses would be crazy in a corolla. 400 nm's ...

Where did you get that information from ? I would be verry surprised since diesel isn't hot at all in Japan. So they would make a sport diesel engine just for their oversees market ?

I would be pretty surprised but then again, the new avensis engine 2.2 with 177 horses would be crazy in a corolla. 400 nm's ...

doesn't matter if it's popular at all in japan. these days toyota makes models that are region specific.

doesn't matter if it's popular at all in japan. these days toyota makes models that are region specific.

Just seeing a topic on diesel Corollas. They've been around for a long time (most of you probably know that already), I had a conversion done back in my hometown for an Ae88 1.3 Petrol to 1.8 Diesel, :) here's a picture of it,

My%20Babe.jpg

For the complete project (and lots of other stuff I did to it), have a look (trying to increase my visitor no.s too :ph34r: )

My 1.8D Baby

CheerZ :D

i think it is VW that has a turbo diesel range in there small cars, and loking at the performance specs compared to the petrol range, the diesel is much faster, it's more noticable on the quater mile and 0-100 times. Its a good idea performance wise, but guys, look at the price of diesel today

Do not overestimate those diesels. I'm from Belgium, THE diesel country. More than 60% are diesel cars here. And the performance of those VW diesels isn't so great as you would think. They do have a lot of torque and horses but they lack revs. They loose enourmously amounts of time shifting. And to be honnest, it's boring as hell to drive.

Yeah, the 330cd isn't bad but it's only slightly faster then a rolla and at double the price and almost double the cc's + a turbo i'm not impressed with it's performance.

The 2.2 from toyo is a far better engine. 400 nm's and 177 horses make it only slightly less potent then the BMW engine but it weighs way less and has 800 cc less displacement.

I mean, even BMW buys diesel engines from toyota ...

understand the nature and concepts of Diesel engines and what/why they are used for then you'll have a different view point towards their use.

its like trying to compare a 2-stroke vs a 4-stroke engine...

diesel engines produces decent torque, and they last forever due to the lubricating properties of diesel. As diesel doesn't like burning, and when it does, it burn heaps hotter, so high reves would be difficult (so forget lift).

It in a class of it's own... for anyone that's driven a diesel would value its properties, but in terms of performance when compared to petrol engines it still has a fair way, but everything else diesel might as well win out... :)

Having just spent a few weeks in Italy and riding around in various model diesels I have to say that other than the fact they sound like tractors at low rpms, small capacity turbo diesels have got my vote.

They're super torquey at low rpms, cruise effortlessly at speed, use bugger all fuel and have got great overtaking power on the highways.

Having just spent a few weeks in Italy and riding around in various model diesels I have to say that other than the fact they sound like tractors at low rpms, small capacity turbo diesels have got my vote.

They're super torquey at low rpms, cruise effortlessly at speed, use bugger all fuel and have got great overtaking power on the highways.

I second that. I've just returned from 12 months in the U.K. where my company car was a Golf GT Tdi. That thing hauled, even with 5 adults. :blink: